“Very pleased with choice”

Mission Valley Resort
Ranked #245 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I booked this hotel without reading reviews I am glad to say! We were in San Diego for 2 nights to attend a friend's memorial. I booked an upgrade room as there was so little difference in the price. On arrival we were directed to our room which turned out to be a suite. Ground floor so we were able to have our car outside our accommodation,which comprised of a living room with couch,easy chairs.coffee table and side tables with lamps,a large T,V. At the end of the room was a bar, behind which was a fridge,basin, coffee maker with tea,coffee bags,sugar and powdered milk. Shortly after arrival a tap on the door and the arrival of a microwave. The bedroom had a king bed (heaven) plenty of cupboard space and another large T.V. Excellent bathroom with bath and shower and plenty. of towels.
There is a diner and liquor/general shop on the property.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade it is well worth it, and at the rear of the property.
1  Thank EosDorset

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I had a terrible experience staying here recently. We had booked a room the day before and had requested a non-smoking room. When we arrived, we were told (rather rudely) that the only room available was a smoking room. No apology or anything was given for this, but they did say that we could cancel the reservation without being charged. It was late and the last thing we wanted to do was have to look for another hotel, so we took the room. The room not only smelled terrible, but it was also dirty. The walls in both the room and bathroom had marks all over them and there was a huge wet spot on the carpet. To top it all off, the television had horrible reception and didn't even get a single channel in clearly. We had planned to stay a couple nights but left after the first terrible night. We went next door to the Vagabond Inn. From the outside it doesn't look as nice as the Mission Valley Resort, but it was a million times better in every single way!!

3  Thank Chaska C
Reviewed February 20, 2013

the worst hotel in san diego. first they gave us smoking room and it had awful smell allover. bathroom is dirty and shower was broken. vomit stains near the bed! there are a lot of drunkies who cry and piss in garden all night. probably it was just not a lucky day for us but it seems that it is the cheapest and worsiest hotel.
the next day we made them change the room so the smell dissappeared but the room was not better.

1  Thank Vladimir P
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I am currently staying at this hotel for a 15 day period due to waiting on some issues with closing on a house in the San Diego area. Due to my need for a cheaper hotel that accepts dogs, Expedia showed me this among other low cost places. I booked without reading any reviews due to the extraordinarily lower prices than other hotels in the area. After booking, my wife started reading reviews and immediately told me that I needed to find another place. After some searching for lower prices, I told her we would have to deal for a few nights till we could find something else.

This place is better than to be expected for the price per night. Don't get me wrong, this place is not the pearl of Hotel Circle, but it is not what others have described in other reviews. I'm not sure if the hotel reads the reviews and improved on what was mentioned, but I will go through some of the complaints I read and share my experiences.

"The complex is dirty". This statement is not accurate. The hotel had to be built in the 60's or 70's, so yes, the hotel shows signs of wear (i.e paint is chipping and fading, the bushy shrubs are a little overgrown, some of the furniture has been in use for some time and shows wear, etc.) but by no means are the grounds dirty or "disgusting".

"NO HOT WATER everytime I go into the shower". While I am sure that each building has its own hot water heater, the two buildings I stayed in had piping hot and freezing cold water within 2 seconds of switching the faucet to one or the other. (I will write later in this review why I stayed in more than one building)

"Then when I asked for bath towels (they did not give me any), it took them 4 hours". I received similar service in 20 mins. Due to having my two large breed dogs in the hotel, I decided it was best that I left the 'Privacy Please' placard in my door to save the hassle of having my dogs mistake house keeping for an intruder. Because of this, I have been changing my own sheets. I called to the front office for a fresh set and 20 mins later I had a very nice woman, though a little nervous of my dogs, pass me a set through the door. My thought for taking 4 hours to get towels might have something to do with the attitude the person had while calling for assistance. I mean, who wants to 'get right on it' for a grouch?

"I booked this hotel as a secret 3-star Resort hotel. I found out too late, but the star system has nothing to do with how nice the hotel is". It is my opinion that nothing is free in this world. I don't think it is fair that this hotel should get less of a fair rating because someone was upset they didn't get a free lunch so to speak (and by that I mean resort quality for a motel price. And to clarify, I know the word 'resort' is in the name; maybe they should change the name? lol).

Ok, on to MY pros and cons.

CONS
-Onsite gym is not a full scale gym
-House keeping personnel are working most of the day (an issue when I have to take the dogs
out to go to the bathroom and all the dogs want to do is stare at the people)
-The first room we stayed in was cramped (after going to the front office, they upgraded me to
a larger room, for an increase of $10 a night which I found to be reasonable considering the
size increase)
-A person was shot in 2012 in one of the outlaying buildings (my initial fear before checking in
was that the rooms were not safe and thus susceptible to break-ins. This is not the case as
each room has a solid door, a dead bolt, and a latch for when you are in the room. Upon
some internet research and speaking with the staff, I found that the person was attacked by
someone they knew that was in the room with them. While this is extremely bad press, I again
don't think that the hotel should be punished for a few peoples bad actions.

PROS
-The staff is extremely nice and helpful.
- The restaurant that was stated as overpriced in another review (it is kind of expensive, think
Denny's) has some of the best food I have ever eaten in a diner. Huge quantity, great taste,
and very nice people. The food does take a bit to get to your table but I assume that is
because the cook is preparing everyone else's huge meal. I will come to the restaurant again
after I check out of this hotel.
-They provide room service.
-The grounds, while old, are well maintained.
-The pool is clean and not freezing. (We are staying here while the big snow front is hitting
Julienne so the weather is around 30 to 40 in the morning and evening. The pool stays a nice
temp though)
-The internet is free and not a snails pace (I think this was mentioned in someone elses review
as well. I'm actually in the onsite laundry room as I write this)
-Did I mention the staff was extremely nice?

All in all, this hotel is a very strong 3 for me but I gave it the extra star in hopes of combating all the horrible unfair (in my opinion) reviews it has received.

Best of luck in your travels!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the center of the hotel are roomier, and only cost an additional $10 a night. Definitel...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank phlank2000
Reviewed February 13, 2013

WOW I've came some horrible places in my travels..... And this place is amongst the WORST....

The staff are friendly enough but that's as far as it goes. The complex is dirty, disgusting even, lights in my room were out and no one had bothered to replace them.... The room looked like it had not been cleaned properly since the 70's... The bed was uncomfortable. If you're booked to stay here do yourself a favor and cancel... I got out of there early and ran for dear life.

This is literally one of those places that you feel even dirtier after you've had a shower.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 6Nate9
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked this hotel as a secret 3-star Resort hotel. I found out too late, but the star system has nothing to do with how nice the hotel is...it's based upon amenities. Amenities like spa, pool, restaurant, etc. As such, I guess since this hotel has specific amenities, it gets coined as a resort.

I booked this hotel for 3 nights and stayed 1. Not because it was utterly atrocious, but because the outcome was such a let down....and partly due to the dingy factor.There were marks all over the walls, and the furniture was scuffed and worn down. There was this black mold growing above the shower. The AC worked, but pieces were breaking off of it. The lamp light by the coffee maker didn't work (left the room pretty dim).

There is a convenience factor. There is a restaurant onsite and a convenience store right around the corner. I didn't try the restaurant; the prices are a bit high for such a disappointing hotel. A plain hamburger w/ cheese for $10 bucks? I'll pass. I didn't check out what their other amenities were like or if they were in working order, so I can't comment on them.

Honestly, the room seemed pretty dingy. I didn't even sleep underneath the covers. My friend and I brought blankets and just laid them on the bed and slept on top of them. You could definitely find a cleaner and much nicer hotel within the area for the same price, if not cheaper.

I wouldn't recommend. The state they allow their rooms to be in clearly shows their disregard towards their guests and how little they care about appearances.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2013

TERRIBLE!!!!!!! DO NOT GO THERE
First off, NO HOT WATER every time I go into shower
I booked this hotel for 2 days, and NO HOT WATER for 2 days!!!!!!
I have to call the front desk like million times and tried to get someone to fix the hot water
Then when I asked for bath towels (they did not give me any) , it took them 4 hours to come to my room and said "I am so sorry, here is the bath towels"

the bathtub wasnt cleaned , and it scratched everywhere.... just awful
WTH
I am so mad that no hot water for two days during my stay
and they said they are going to refund me and they did not

DO NOT GO THERE!