“Nice room- not enough staff in restaurant.”

San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
Ranked #90 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Nice room- not enough staff in restaurant.”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The room is very nice and comfortable. Lobby looks nice and pool is beautiful. I enjoyed the outdoor hammocks. My only issue was that the restaurant was poorly staffed having only one waitress for the entire floor at dinner time. I was there for 2 hours and all I ordered was a quesadilla. She was so busy she forgot to offer me a drink and never stayed long enough for me to ask for one. This is not at all her fault as she was running ragged trying to wait on 15 different tables. However, it was frustrating that I had to wait so long. I was going to order dessert as well but opted to go to Denny's instead to avoid an even longer wait.

• Stayed December 2013
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience both unfavorable and favorable, as the feedback we receive is a priceless tool in enabling us to maintain and improve our guest experience.We hope to have the pleasure of your return one day soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Turkish first
Walnut, California
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was traveling with a group and we secured a good rate for a bank of rooms that included Parking and Breakfast. Everything was clean and the staff were friendly, this was my first time staying here and I was not disappointed. I also appreciated the convenient location of this hotel. I would stay again.

Room Tip: keep in mind parking was $16, if you don't like second-hand smoke try to be on the downwind side...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we truly appreciate it! It's great to hear that the location, friendly staff and comfortable room all contributed to you enjoying your stay with us. Thanks again!
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stereotypical Marriott. Interior decor is average. Elevators are strangely placed, tucked away behind reception desk. The hotel is conveniently located near the highway.

But, most annoying, is the parking situation. The self-park lot is $16/night, which is very high considering that this is a suburban-type hotel. The lot should be free! I parked on the street for free.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator. All rooms are essentially the same in size. pool side rooms may have a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is the first time staying at this hotel, I was not disappointed. The property is located in a great area, it is nearby multiple restaurants and the major highways so getting around is easy. The staff here are very helpful and willing to go out of there way to make your stay pleasant. The rooms are very roomy and comfortable and it is nice that the room had a refrigerator. We used the concierge lounge and liked the food they offered. The room had nice views of the city and we didn't feel cramped. I highly recommend this hotel to people visiting San Diego and for people that want a nice getaway locally.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Staff were excellent couldn't do enough to help it was everything we expected from a Sheraton hotel. Anything staff could do to make your stay not only in the hotel but in San Diego itself was never too much trouble. We had a request for where we could get a wheelchair from and they provided us with a list and phone numbers to where we could hire one. A great help as we had no idea.

Room Tip: Rooms near elevator have a balcony. Though rooms at back facing the hill view is quieter than the 8...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel several times since I have family nearby. The staff at the hotel are exceptional. They are always friendly (front desk staff, restaurant staff; maid staff, etc). The hotel has a laid back California feel. I like sitting near the outside pool hearing the large waterfall. There is something about waterfalls that I find very relaxing. The pool is large with lots of loungers.

Since I am an elite level member of Marriott Rewards, I have access the the Concierge room with free breakfast (nice buffet), late afternoon appetizers, and evening desserts. Everything is well stocked and tasty.

Rooms at the hotel are up to date and very clean. They are your typical Marriott. Nothing too special. The beds and pillows are comfortable.

I am very disappointed in the quality of the towels. They are small, rough, and thin. They need to be replaced.

I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a relaxing, nice hotel in the Mission Valley area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Folsom, California
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had misplaced some newspapers in my room, and mistakenly thought that housekeeping had removed them. Kelly, at the front desk, was so helpful. She was willing to go above and beyond to replace the copies. I appreciated her kind and professional response!

• Stayed October 2013