“great location”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #44 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 17, 2010

This hotel is in a great location. The south tower has been renovated and is very nice, clean and up-to-date. Would highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,057)

Reviewed September 15, 2010

Great location in beautiful San Diego. Walking distance from all the sweetspot in town. Close to the airport. Bit pricey but you gotta enjoy every second of your stay. Be sure to close the window of the patio door when you go to bed... the city train is kind of disturbing in the middle of the night. Don't miss the pool!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I booked six nights for early August at the San Diego Marriott Marina in conjunction with a conference I was attending. It was the “headquarters” hotel, with some sessions held in the Marriott South Tower and others in the SD Convention Center, next door. My rate was a conference special, below the regular rate, and I opted for the somewhat pricier bay view option. I am a long-since transplanted native San Diegan and wanted to maximize a rare trip to my wonderful hometown. In that respect I was more than happy with my accommodation—a balcony room on the 22nd floor of the North Tower. I had stunning views across Seaport Village to the North Island carrier wall (I’m a Navy vet, too!), and out to Point Loma and Ft. Rosecrans. I could not resist standing on the balcony, camera in hand, trying to memorize that view. Spectacular. Yes, the trains/trolley run right below, but I actually like hearing trains in the night!

As far as my accommodations were concerned, I found them clean and comfortable. The bed was inviting, with a flock of puffy pillows. The small refrigerator worked well, there was an in-room safe (although placed too low for comfortable access), and individual (complimentary) coffee service was kept stocked throughout my stay. The TV was somewhat outdated (a CRT model), but serviceable. Since the weather was perfect, and most nights I kept the balcony door open, I did not need the A/C. The tiny (cramped) bathroom was stocked with a generous supply of towels, and I had no problems with water pressure. Given San Diego’s chronic water shortages, that could be an issue. I do agree with others who observed that meals in the hotel’s restaurants seemed pricey, especially breakfast items. Nevertheless, what food I did have was tasty, well prepared, and service was cordial. There is, of course, a variety of other eateries within easy walking distance.

Now, the bad news: Three issues conspired to dampen my initial enthusiasm for this hotel: (1) Elevators ; (2) Inadequate parking; (3) No advance notice of specialized (San Diego-specific) tax exempt forms. Granted, the latter is of concern only to federal government business travelers, but it was irritating, nonetheless, because it was avoidable!.

Pathetic elevator response (North Tower) persisted throughout my stay. Wait times of eight to 10 minutes were typical, and when a car did arrive, it either was too crowded to enter, or stuffed by the time I reached my destination floor. With five cars potentially available, there was no sense that more than one operated at any given time. Rumors that one or more were out of service were never confirmed. If that was the case, guests should have been notified (at check in, by posted notice, etc.). Other guests also were remarking on this frustrating issue, confirming that it was not simply my imagination—that I was spending too much time standing and waiting, feeling crushed against the wall when ascending/descending, etc. Particularly when I was in professional attire (daily), I found the over-packed cars problematic, since damp swimmers, passengers with food, etc., often were among the crowd. While they had every right to be in the car, it was impossible at times to avoid physical contact with wet towels/swimsuits, the possibility of spilled beverages, etc.

Issue two: Paid parking as a "hunting license." Please note, I have encountered similar problems at other San Diego hotels, but that does not excuse it at this venue. Returning in my rental car on my first night (around 8:30), I drove in circles—in vain—attempting to find (1) a legitimate parking space and (2) one in which I could safely fit my car. Open spaces either were marked for "Marina Patrons Only" or were encroached upon by other guests lacking the courtesy to park their vehicles in one (as opposed to multiple) spaces. I was increasingly tired and frustrated when I spotted what appeared to be a useful space on the hotel back (bay) side. Only after locking the car and starting to walk away, did I realize the asphalt bore a faded "boat owners only" notice. I went straight to the registration desk to ask about this unacceptable situation and was told that hotel parking "belongs" to Ace Parking, not to Marriott. I was told I could use Valet Parking (at an additional $12/night), which sounds very close to “bait and switch.” Moreover, that extra charge would have been out of my pocket since, as a federal employee, I cannot be reimbursed for any "luxury" service.

The reception desk attendant referred me to the Ace Parking Manager on duty. To his great credit, he was sympathetic, and was obviously eager to find a solution for my dilemma. [Yes, I have written Marriott and acknowledged the manager—by name—as someone who really seems to understand and practice the concept “customer service.”] As a woman who often travels alone, I do not care to roam around hotel parking lots alone after dark. Thus, the manager offered to accompany me to observe where I was parked, and (or) to park my car in Valet at no additional charge for that night. Ultimately, it was decided that the car would be "okay" where it was until I could move it, which I did the next morning. Thus, my rental car remained parked (UNused) for most of my stay. I could not face having to repeat the "dreaded parking hunt" each night.

Tax Exempt Forms: For 13 years I have traveled frequently as a federal employee. When booking lodging, I am obligated ask about the hotel's policy for Federal Tax Exempt forms, since nonexempt taxes must be factored into estimated totals when travel requests are submitted for approval. I did so when I booked this stay, and was told by the Marriott associate that the forms were accepted. I, therefore, prepared my agency's required form and presented it upon check in. Only then was I told that the Federal form is "not appropriate," (WHAT??) and was handed a blank "San Diego-specific" form, to complete. Thus, the form was executed in my poor handwriting and I have no copy. Given the ease with which any form can be made available on the Internet (e.g., for download as PDF files, etc.), it would be much more efficient to make this form available at the hotel’s website, so federal business travelers could have it prepared (legibly!) in advance and ensure they have a copy.

Internet Charges: Because I now have an "air card" for laptop Internet connections, I no longer have to worry about outrageous charges for Internet connections. Recently, however, it has become evident that mid-level hotels somehow manage to offer complimentary high-speed Internet. I find it inexplicable that large hotel chains (not just Marriott) find it necessary to charge guests $10 to $13 (or more) per day for something that is now a mainstream communications mode.

So, despite that wonderful view and comfortable room, I doubt I will book this hotel for next year’s convention. I now live in the Washington DC Metro area, Marriott’s “hometown,” and have known many Marriott associates over the years. Typically, I would choose a Marriott property over another option, all things equal. But this experience is going to temper those decisions in the future—I really expect better things from Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jruthg
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We chose San Diego Marriott at the Marina cuz' we wanted to have a good view of SD Harbor and a balcony. We requested specifically the balcony, the view, and asked that a refrigerator and microwave be put in our room.

We arrived around 3 p.m. and were fortunate to be able to walk right up to the desk. Our room was ready and waiting and immediately upon entering our room, they brought the requested refrigerator and microwave. Everyone was as nice as they could be, from the workmen occasionally encountered in the hallways to the people at the front desk.. We have rarely encountered such continual and complete courtesy and graciousness in a hotel this size.

We had a beautiful view of the Bay and a nice patio. The room was in the North Tower and was a tiny bit dated in decoration, but not at all "shabby" or "rundown." The South Tower, which is newer, does not have balconies. The room was very nice however and we had no complaints with it whatsoever.

The pool area is large, lovely and tropical - a wonderful place to relax with a book.

The location is great. You are right on the Bay, the Midway Aircraft Carrier and Seapoint Village are just a few steps away. The Gaslamp district is just a few blocks away and there are jogging paths all over the area. The Old Town Trolley, a fun tour experience, stops right in front of the hotel.

This is not an inexpensive hotel, and parking is an additional $24 self park, and $34 valet parking, but we felt we definitely got our money's worth.

They have Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Restaurant on the premises and while it is also expensive, it is quite good and the restaurant staff goes out of their way to make it a pleasant dining experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2010

First time stay at this hotel. Had a room in South Tower on 25th floor. Room was quite spacious as was the bathroom. Quick walk to Gaslamp, Petco Park, Horton Plaza. Nice view of Coronado and Point Loma. Beds very comfy but you do hear the train whistles in the night through no fault of hotel. Parking can be tight. I must comment laundry service. Attended concert at the Embarcadero where a woman spilled red wine on my cashmere sweater/linen pants. The in-house laundry was able to get ALL stains out! Fabulous!! Would stay again. LOVE Roy's Restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I am sure there are many other detailed reviews which will describe the parking & reception experiences, rooms, and location. So I'll be brief and try to hit the key points for me, during this mid-August 2010 stay.

First, location, location... This is tough to beat, especially for a Convention Center event. This hotel is literally next door to the SDCC, requiring merely a walk down the steep entrance way, past lovely flowers and facing the trolley tracks and Gaslamp District, and a short walk (~ 1 city block) to the A-side of the huge convention hall). If distance is critical (limited walking, accessibility, etc.), the South Tower is slightly closer.

The hotel, as I read "here" before booking, has 2 Towers, and both are fine, straddling a huge pool and the lovely marina which adjoins Seaport Village (great sunsets and several "artsy" shops, fresh cookies, seafood restaurants, fireworks on weekends, horse 'n buggy rides, nice place to stroll). The North Tower has many rooms with small balconies, a major appeal to me, and reason I requested this. Savvy travelers have described how the South Tower has more modern amenities (e.g., large LCD TV's) which may be true, but it has few balconies and I was happy with my room's old but empty refrigerator (to stow a sandwich for next day or milk/beverages) rather than overstuffed "refreshment bar" one needs to dance around to fit a stick of cheese, or risk paying exorbitant prices for. Only one bottle of spring water to fit that bill, and there's a small store with early/late hours in the lobby between the two towers, selling sundries, snacks, even liquor, along with post cards etc. So it's easy to live close to the room and hotel and do a lot of eating out, as well as storing some food & drink for snacks and packing for day trips. (Did I mention the San Diego Zoo? I will!)

I was solo and there for a professional conference so mostly work-oriented, and the convention center proximity was ideal to lug things back and forth. Like many huge convention hotels, the wait for the elevator around dinner time could be fierce, but what can be done? ;-) Parking lot got full which might be annoying to some, but then there was valet parking. I'm sure expensive, but that's typical too. I used cabs or public transportation, both easy. Doormen/concierge - all cheery, helpful, hard-working, quick to pull out maps and share personal knowledge of the area.

Gaslamp Quarter is "just across the tracks" literally (well, down the ramp, across the trolley tracks, and 2-3 blocks South to the heart of it, the entrance being at 5th Ave). A 10 minute walk to the bus and 1/2 hour ride and I was at the Zoo on my one day off. It's as good as it's reputation. Allow a full day!

Other than location, amenities were fine for me, maybe not as decadent as some might expect from a 4/5 star place, but the balcony view of the Marina and Coronado Island made up for that! (Same with the not-state-of-the-art TV which I could not plug my computer into, but that was ok, and was "forced" to take my little laptop screen out to the balcony to look at my zoo photos with.) My bed was King, and comfortable, with a massive collection of pillows. Maids when I saw them (my way out) were friendly, one taking pride that her photo was on the desk - "that's me!". Always clean, unobtrusive (left my work materials alone, put away the excess pillows, replaced glasses, etc.)

Compared to some conference hotels, the pool and marina really screamed "resort!" and were both pretty to see and lovely to visit. There's a poolside bar some enjoyed plus several restaurants, lounges, and conference-related hospitality suites and a lounge. The Hawaiian Fusion restaurant, Roy's, sits atop the pool area and its lower floor opens up to tables on the "boardwalk" along the marina, another good place to catch a sunset.

Bath amenities: ok. Desk: nice. (Bring your own broadband or prepare to pay for it, like most US convention hotels.) Balcony: great. (Mine had two chairs, no table, but was a great place to think, reflect, even try to do some work).

Only did room service once - and it was quick (and as is common, expensive after the various delivery and service fees - but still I enjoyed the breakfast I had one morning).

I didn't really get a chance to see specifically child/teen/family friendly things, other than the pool (and of course the ease of seeing sightseeing musts like the Zoo and Sea World, etc.) Really oriented towards Convention crowds, but when the crowds thin it must still be a nice place to lounge at the pool, explore the Gaslamp Quarter and elsewhere by night, and use as a base for seeing San Diego. I didn't have much leisure time within the hotel itself, as it was my convention base camp, but staff were responsive and friendly, and did I mention the location? I'd love to return to SD, and would have no qualms about staying here again if I needed to be right at the Convention Center, or nearby.

If I had one pet peeve, it was the neighbor who seemed to be studying anvil and pickax use early morning and late night. Paper thin wall, at least with a connecting room, which I should have had the presence of mind to avoid, but forgot. Still, I had such a great view and room overall, two earplugs and a wake-up call took care of that.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank drmikenyc
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Some friends and I stayed at the Marriott Mariner prior to a Deep Sea fishing trip. We were hoping to be able to see a game at Petco park but the Padres were out of town. The location is on the water and close to the Gas Lamp district. It is an easy walk or an expensive Pedicabs. Seriously, $40 to go 3 blocks? The Pool area is more of a resort pool than a convention hotel pool. It is nice to be able to run along the water in the mornings. If you get a view of the water, you get to see the Navy ships in the bay. I would say the biggest con would be parking. $24 for self parking. $35 for Valet. Even though self parking is suppose to be on the property, we had to park like 3 blocks away.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends