Tripadvisor
San Diego
4,664 results
All reviews north tower seaport village convention center tequila bar the concierge lounge pool area self parking coronado island city view within walking distance large hotel the gas lamp district balcony room room service beautiful hotel petco park gaslamp quarter
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After getting my Marriott Platinum Suite Rewards completely screwed up at another Marriott Hotel (Coronado Resort and Spa), I called member services and they helped me book three nights using my Platinum suite rewards for a complimentary 3-night upgrade at this Marriott Marquis in San Diego.
I expressed my concerns because the Marriott member service staff (who was really trying her best to assist me) was booking my reservation for me on the cancellation deadline date. The Member service staff had me on hold, while she informed that she made a guaranteed booking on the other line with a staff at this hotel.
Checked my Marriott webpage, and the booking was in fact there. However, I did not see the complimentary suite upgrade. I was assured by member services that it would show; "it'll take 24 hours for it to process, but the hotel already has all the information and your suite upgrade for three nights will be there." I asked if I would be billed if I had to cancel because of no upgrade, and the member service staff assured me "No, you won't be billed because I also clarified this with the hotel."
Well, on the day of the reservation, guess what? No upgrade. Cancelled my booking and went straight to the Hyatt at Seaport. They honored my reservation and gave me a complimentary upgrade with a lot of perks (kayaking, drinks, dinner, etc). The following month I got a bill showing that Marriott Marquis billed me anyway for cancelling, and was never my suite night rewards? Never used it; never got it credited back to my account. Never, never never again! Going elsewhere...like Hyatt.

Room tip: Save your time and money and go elsewhere...like Hyatt.
Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank meowrtee
TeamMarriott, Manager at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear meowrtee,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. You are a valued Marriott Bonvoy member, and we hope you will accept our apologies for the problems you encountered with your reservation. We fell short in delivering the exceptional service our guests expect from us, and we regret that you decided to stay elsewhere. Although we cannot speak on behalf of the agent who helped make your reservation, we have shared your review with the Central Reservation and Customer Care teams. Feedback like yours is valuable to us, as it gives us the chance to make necessary improvements to our services.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Platinum Elite member and would appreciate an opportunity to review your reservation in detail. If you are so inclined, please contact me directly at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here for nearly a week for business meetings on site. Hotel was very busy with multiple conventions during my stay, and the elevators and lines got a bit unwieldy during "rush hours" (e.g., check-in/out times, meal times). Reception, concierge, and exchange pantry staff were courteous, friendly, and efficient despite the crowds.

As part of group booking, I didn't have much choice or expectation about my room. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised by the spacious layout, with plenty of closet and shelf space, desk and sofa, for organizing personal items and lounging. King-size bed was very comfortable with long fluffy pillows, and easy access to reading lights. Bathroom was generously arranged with a shower area, long counter with deep sink, and toilet in a horizontal formation. Coffee/tea facilities and mini-fridge (empty) were adequate. Wi-fi was consistent and reasonably fast even with 3-4 simultaneous devices.

My only minor issues were with the outdoor noise and housekeeping. My room was on the 12th floor, facing out to the tram tracks for convention center. Often, the bells for incoming tram were so loud that I could hear them clearly late into the night. I have very sensitive hearing, but am luckily a sound sleeper. For light sleepers, though, I'd suggest requesting a room that doesn't face the tram tracks.

Housekeeping was mostly good, but somehow skipped refilling the coffee/tea facilities on my arrival day and bathroom toiletries on another day. I usually travel with extra coffee/tea bags and toiletries, so this was not a big deal for me. Others who depend on hotel supplies may wish to check daily and request refills as needed.

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Amy L,

Thank you for being our guest at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina while you were here for your meetings. It is wonderful to know our team left a great impression and that you could relax in our spacious and graciously appointed rooms, featuring plush featherbeds with down duvets. However, we are sorry for the issues with the outside noise. We are located in the downtown district where city noise is common, however, your comments remind us there is always room for improvement, and we will review your feedback with our engineering team. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

Hotel is mostly for conventions . You pay all the money for a run of mill Marriott. Service charges everywhere be on the look out on your receipts. No guest laundry available only if you pay them to do it at big prices . I am a Marriott elite member and stay at a lot Marriott , best thing about this one is view and location , consider Hyatt next door .

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TeamMarriott, Manager at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Jeff C,

Thank you for being a valued Marriott Bonvoy member and taking the time to share your feedback. Our hotel is a popular choice in the area because of our excellent location and amenities. We host many types of travelers, and we can understand the size of our property is not for everyone. We apologize for not meeting all of your expectations, and we wish you all the best with your future travels.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

Their cafe has an untold 15% "service charge" which should not be paid for! I bought a pizza at their some kitchen cafe and found 15% "service charge" on top of the menu price. I was told it's due to a convention being held which I was not part of and the hotel front desk would explain. The hotel front desk told me they knew nothing about it but also mentioned nothing on how and where it should be resolved, appearing to deliberately distance themselves from the issue. I then went back to the cafe, but they kept me waiting for too long and I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company to get it back.

Dear apydawigsri,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding the service charge. We regret that you were unaware of this fee and apologize that our team was unable to address your inquiries to your satisfaction. We are working with our team to ensure we meet the high service standards our guests expect from us. We are disappointed this impacted your experience and hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back for an outstanding experience.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

First time in San Diego and stayed here. Very close to the airport and along a strip of hotels. Beautiful views and very close to the water. Friendly and helpful staff, and close to gas lamp area, which is within walking distance.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank seanmT4053GU
TeamMarriott, Manager at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2020

Dear seanmT4053GU,

We are happy you chose the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina for your very first visit to the city. Thank you for letting us know we made a good impression and that you particularly loved our cordial associates, stellar views of our surroundings, and our proximity to the airport and many local attractions. We are grateful for the perfect rating and hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you back to San Diego.

Donna Chong,