“Beautiful Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ohio
“Beautiful Location”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I stayed here for a conference I was attending at the San Diego Convention Center. It was very convenient as the convention center was right next door. The views from the marina side of the building were beautiful. The first night there we stayed in a room with a city view and you could hear the trains but I didn't think it was that bad. We switched to a room across the hall so we could have a marina view and then we never heard the trains again. Great walking access to shopping and restaurant. Staff seemed very accomodating.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
st. croix USVI
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I like my cigarette and cup of coffee in the morning. When I booked, I asked for a smoking room and was told the entire hotel is non-smoking. Asked for a room near an exit so I could comply. They gave us a room with a balcony and I used it for my vice. The weather was chilly so there weren't a lot of people utilizing their balconies (but we observed people in the other tower (w/out balconies) cracking their windows to get in a few puffs. If this had been summer, I would have requested a top floor room so that the smoke would drift up because if the room above had been occupied and they used the balcony, they could have been offended - it all turned out fine. Great room, view and location for our business travel was great. $22 to self park/day.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Sweden
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Spent five nights at the Marriott Marina during a conference at the SDCC which is next door from the hotel, right down from the Starbucks by escalator. Hotel is about 15 minutes from the airport by cab (USD 15) and just minutes from the Gaslamp Quarter, so there was no need for a rental car during these days.

We had a Standard Double on the 21st floor of the North Tower, with a partial view of the bay, was up to the usual Marriott Standards with nice bedding (gotta buy me one of those pillows anytime soon…) and spacious layout. Had a small balcony, towards the Hyatt, which we did not use (chilly nights in January).

Did wake up the two first nights of the train horns at night at appr 03:30 - the rest of the way I was not bothered. Is not the hotel’s fault that the freight trains pass right through San Diego at nights… would feel worse if I had bought one of those condos on the other side of the railroad!

For most evening meals we headed down to the Gaslamp Quarter where there was much to choose from – only a ten minute walk from the hotel.
At the hotel, we had dinner once at Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion which was f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c and something that we can recommend!
Also the DW’s bar featured a nice bar meny, reasonably priced, plentiful, and tasty. The breakfast buffet at LW was only fair, only used it once – settled for a grab n’ go from Starbucks during the conference days.

Can also recommend the Seaport Village, which is a five minute walk, for nice lunches outside of the hotel in a nice atmosphere.

To summarize, a good hotel for conventions and business, in the heart of San Diego, close to the main attractions in San Diego. When in San Diego again, I'll be back!

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Train horns but the same sound all over this area...
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SweTraveller27
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed February 5, 2009

While this appears to be primarily a business hotel, it was very nice and the location can't be beat. Staff was very helpful. I'm not sure I'd opt for the additional cost of the conceirge level again, though. I'd also ask for the North tower with a balcony.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Stayed at the Marriot Marina and Hotel for a week in January while attending a conference at the San Diego Convention Center.
Arrival at SD airport was easy. Picked up my luggage and went out to locate a cab. The cab area was very well organized with an airport official providing assistance and the line moved quickly.
A short cab ride and $12.00 later, I was very warmly greeted by the Marriot bellman. My check-in was early, smooth and my messages and pre-arranged packages conveyed promptly. Return to the airport was similarly quick and efficient.
I had a standard King on the Marina side. A million dollar view. The room itself was comfortable, well kept and the window opened for some lovely sea air. It was not special or spectacular but very comfortable and serviceable. Soft water in the showers. Good bed and linens.
The best part was its location right next door to the convention centre. I'm not one for breakfast, so I grabbed a Starbucks coffee and croissant and went off to my sessions. for early morning sessions, or returning to the hotel after the Gala dinner the convention centre the location could not be beat. For extra conference excursions it was located right near SD's Fifth Avenue and the Gaslamp area. It was a short walk to Macy's, Nordstrom's and Ralph's and an excellent restaurant area. Notably NOBU, which might have been worth the trip in itself. The hotel also is located on the sea walk area, also very pleasant for lunch or an early morning walk.
The DW's bar/restaurant was casual and reasonably priced with generous portions. Roy's Hawaiian Fusion for finer evening dining, excellent as well. On the last day, I did the full breakfast at the LW. I was informed that the buffet was not available due to low occupancy. I was warmly greeted and offered coffee and juice which I accepted. It added $8.00 dollar to my breakfast bill that came in at 25.00 and change before tip. It was very generous (too generous, what's with the ginormous US portions?) in size and OK, but I wouldn't have it again. All service contacts were friendly and consistently good.
Nice gym, rather awkwardly located but with a lovely view of the Marina. Pool area was nice enough, though only the small, shallow pool was warm enough to get into. Nice hot tub. Gift shops were good. ATM and Hertz car rental on-site. All in all, it was an excellent location and a very good base to the convention center, a good place to conduct business and meet and entertain clients. Promised a professional product and delivered. Don't think I would choose it for a "personal" resort vacation.

1 Thank luv2travelnow
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed January 23, 2009

I stayed here for four nights for a conference and loved my stay. If you are a Marriott Elite member, this hotel has one of the best concierge lounges I have seen. Excellent staff, very knowledgeable and nice, and great location within walking distance to the Gaslamp district and a grocery store. Pricey add-ons, however, with internet and parking being an absolute rip-off, but that is standard throughout the Marriott chain. Directly next door to the convention center and the Grand Hyatt where a lot of other conferences locate.

• Liked — Views, nice beds
  • Disliked — Costs of add ons
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WrldTrav-7
PA
Reviewed January 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights at end of Dec 2008, before heading to Rose Bowl. Location is great, walking distance to shopping in San Diego and many bars/ restaurants esp Gaslamp area. Our room overlooked the city. Room had king bed, very comfy. Room was corner room so kind of weird shaped but it worked fine for us. Hertz rental car in lobby was convenient as well as Starbucks. Pool area nice, but a little too cool to get into water. Nice marina area. We found to staff to be very friendly and accommodating. No complaints except trains outside of hotel can be a bit noise during night if your room faces city. My husband slept right through it, but I am more of a light sleeper. WOuld still highly recommend hotel though.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple