“Good! ”

Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Good! ”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Let me start of with this: THIS IS NOT A RESORT PROPERTY! Yes, there is a very nice pool and great restaurants BUT it is also a Business hotel... Meaning that there are a lot of people there not going to relax. But here is the actual review. I thought the rooms were very nice and our view was spectacular. It is 2 blocks from Petco Park and Horton Plaza and right next to Seaport Village. The Staff was friendly and easily approachable. The pool was beautiful and it had a great tropical area around it. This is obviously a huge problem in every city but specifically this one. This problem is that there are lots of homeless people just out of the gated part of the hotel. While I have nothing against them, they got annoying if you would not respond to them. I think I might try the Hyatt next time.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed for two nights (Sat. and Sun.) on the July 4th long weekend. We had booked a room with 2 queen beds but when we arrived on Saturday night the room type we had booked was no longer available. The gentleman at reception was extremely helpful and offered us an alternative room plus a $100.00 credit towards the room. Since we were only staying two nights we accepted his offer.

The room (room 1232) had a king bed with a pullout sofa bed and a balcony facing the marina. This was suitable for our needs but not large enough if we were staying longer. The bathroom was extremely small. This room is at the end of the hallway and due to the shape of the hotel, not very spacious.

Despite the room size, the hotel is located in an excellent location. There is also Hertz rental car right in the hotel which is very convenient. The Hertz staff was very accommodating and helpful.

As it was the July 4th long weekend it was not possible to get into the restaurant (Marina Kitchen Dining) for breakfast as there was always a long waiting list. Also there was no a la carte breakfast and only a buffet was served. We had dinner on the patio at Roy's Hawaiian Fusion and the food was excellent.

This is a very large hotel with two towers, a large pool and deck and many amenities. However, because of its size getting around can be daunting.

This is an average hotel with nothing specifically wrong. This is not our preferred type of hotel. Too busy and too impersonal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the middle of the hallway not at the ends.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
The 4th of July holiday is a very festive time for our city and our hotel that overlooks the Fireworks event. I appreciate that you chose our location to celebrate the holiday. I am sorry that the room type you had requested was not available during your stay. I hope you were able enjoy the bay view and that you were able to see San Diego’s Big Bay Boom from your balcony room. As you were able to see first-hand, we are centrally located to the Gaslamp District, Sea Port Village and so many other dining options and attractions. I am sorry that you weren’t able to dine at our Marina Kitchen but hope you were able to venture out to one of the nearby great breakfast spots within walking distance of the hotel and experience a little of our city. We hope that your travels will bring you back to San Diego.

Sunapee, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Staff who seem more focused on just completing tasks, not smiling, saying thanks or even really acknowledging the guests. And I can't believe management doesn't issue instructions to staff like "don't walk in front of them rudely when you are moving around the hotel facilities" or "smile, say hi, and ask if the guest needs anything". Really lousy service overall.
A room service meal that is never delivered, but IS charged to the room.
A staff member who responded "let me check and call you back" instead of "sorry for that I'll be glad to remove it from your bill and to ask the room service staff to do a better job".
And that same staff member calling back saying, and I quote "I checked it out and removed it from your bill. Thank you." but no apology for it happened (I was hungry that night and went to sleep hunger) nor for it being charged to my room.
The worst bank of elevators (South Tower) in all of creation. At morning rush hour it can literally take 15 minutes to get to the lobby.
They have converted room service to a glorified take out joint. Not appealing.
The restaurants are way over-priced, loud, and with ho-hum menu items.
The concierge lounge is tiny and crowded and feels like a cattle car operation.
Supposedly this property is one of Marriott's flagship properties.
The manager listened politely, looked grim, apologized, and gave me 10,000 points in my account. I guess that was nice, but she didn't really seem to make me think that anything would change.
After 22 years of regular visits to San Diego - it's time for a new favorite hotel.
From a lifetime Marriott Gold member.

Room Tip: The south tower is more convenient to getting out to the convention center and the Gaslamp district...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank John C
Exec0410, Executive Office at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Hello John,

I really wish I’d been given a chance to meet you in person and truly extend the level of hospitality that you are accustomed to when staying at our hotel. I appreciate your candid comments and have shared them with our Hotel Manager and Hosts. I am very sorry, that on this occasion your, impression of our hotel was changed. I hope that you understand it’s our sincere interest in gaining your confidence with the friendly service you have grown to trust Marriott with. Perhaps you would consider our hotel the next time you are in San Diego so that we could show you the warmth and hospitality that all our guests deserve when staying at Marriott.

Atlanta
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Decided to try this hotel since my husband and his work all have Marriot cards. My husband is an Elite member wanting to grow points, so he convinced me to stay despite me being a loyal Hilton member. First, the Manager for the Food and Beverage is by far the worst! I ordered a drink the first day, just to be told they were out of it. They were out of Mt Dew, out of Rum, out of A-1 sauce, out of Stella Artois, the list goes on. Tried orderingroom service from their in room service, only to be told once AGAIN, they do not have room service!. another shot down! The dinner at their restaurant for three of us was over $130. Extremely overpriced! The irish coffee I ordered was $12! We dined at the Cheesecake Factory and had better food and drinks for half the price! And guess what? They were not out of stock in anything! For the price we paid for the rooms and food was ridiculous! Suggestion to the hotel, find yourself a Food and Beverage manager that knows how to stock and be prepared for their customers!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Josie1968
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Josie,

I appreciate that you and your husband chose to stay at our hotel over your preferred hotel. I am very sorry that your impression of our hotel fell short of what your husband has come to expect in service when staying at a Marriott Hotel. I have shared the details of your dining post with our Hotel Manager and Director of Food & Beverage for their review. I regret that when you inquired about our room service that you were not told of our In-room Dining program. Fortunately our location is centrally located to so many dining options and attractions. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy dining at the new Headquarters at Sea Port Village. It’s one of the newest attractions in San Diego, within a short walk from our hotel and offers some excellent dining choices like Season’s 52 and Mozza. I do hope that your travels will bring you back to San Diego and that you would consider our hotel once again for a much more memorable stay.

Venice, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2014

One of the best hotels to stay in, in San Diego. The location is perfect, the view to die for, and the ambiance and neighborhood the best to be at for a short, quick trip in the downtown marina area. Perfect.

Room Tip: The best views are bay views, of course.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2014

By Marriotts admission and harbor police who helped investigate, this was not the first time bikes were stolen from the hotel parking lot, and previously an individual was caught in the act with wire cutters attempting to detach a bike from a car. In our case 2 expensive carbon fiber triathlon bikes were stolen, bike rack vandalized, on Sunday, in broad daylight, within a hour of us leaving to get lunch. Bikes were secured to car with cable locks. We returned to find locks cut and both bikes missing. Police reports were filed, Marriott claims came back with "...we never took possession so we can't help you...". Same apparently applies to anything you leave on Marriott premises without explicitly asking them to securely store it.

It would seem reasonable for Marriott to secure its parking lot, especially after repeated incidents of theft, but that would require caring about its customers and their property. It may be reasonable to assume that this level of neglect is not limited to Marriott's parking lot, but I certainly would not feel safe leaving anything in hotel room or parking lot (car included), and would opt to stay in a hotel that doesn't shy away from their responsibility to guests. We currently looking into filing with small claims. In retrospect paying extra for a more secure hotel would have been worth it. At $5,500+ it's an expensive lesson.

Room Tip: Don't leave anything of value on hotel property that is not insured (cars, electronics, jewelry...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stan B
Dear Stan,

I want to assure you that we take the safety and security of our guests and their belongings very seriously at this hotel. Our team of Security Officers conduct random patrols of the parking area. We offer our guests the opportunity to secure their personal belongings left on the exterior of the vehicles with our Bell Stand. This is a complimentary service that we extend to our guests for the safekeeping of their oversize items. I am sorry that in your case this incident occurred and would like to advise you that we have been in contact with Harbor Police to try and assist with the recovery of the bikes.

A member of our Security Team will be reaching out to you under separate e-mail in response to the correspondence you received from our Marriott Claims office.

Springfield, Tennessee
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed here in April, beautiful hotel and great staff...location was perfect to walk to the Gaslight District. The hotel has a wonderful pool and cafe. The views were excellent, especially on the rooftop. I would recommend staying here if at all possible when you travel to San Diego!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business