Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
  • Room Service
Island Inn(San Diego)
  • Fitness center
  • Restaurant
Pendry San Diego(San Diego)
  • Breakfast included
4,130 results
All reviewsnorth towerseaport villageconvention centertequila barthe concierge loungepool areacoronado islandself parkingcity viewwithin walking distancethe gas lamp districtbalcony roomlarge hotelpetco parkgaslamp quarterroom servicebeautiful hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I had a bay view of Coronado Bay on a high floor. Nice room, beautiful view of Coronado Naval base. Nice room, great view, great pool and hot tub, restaurants. Great walk along the bay, great restaurants, etc.

Room Tip: Get upper floor room facing the bay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Service here is outstanding without question. Expediant and courteous. Great view of both the harbor and the city, due to the curved architecture. I usually luck out and get great views of parking garages and back alleys... :(

Very convenient to the convention center and gas light district. The only downside I can think of is the seemingly never-ending bells from the commuter train just across the street.

I was somewhat taken aback by the amount of homeless people in the area. There is a passagway between the hotel and convention center to the bay area that I avoided because of this... Found other ways through the hotel to get to the bay and the convention center.

Plenty of touristy areas to occupy your time nearby as well. I wanted to tour the carrier Midway, but ran out of time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Decided to stay at this property because of it's proximity to the convention center. We had a two day event there and it seemed to be a convenient location as I thought it was "attached" to the convention center. Although it is next door and perhaps is physically attached, you still must walk outside, through the parking garage and down the very long sidewalk to get to the end of the convention center where our event was taking place. Last year it was a closer walk when we stayed across the street at the Omni, so just keep that in mind when you think it may be easier to get to the convention center from this particular hotel. If there is a way to "get in" from the actual hotel, nobody in our entire party could find it.

We had used miles to "pay" for the room and I had chosen the upgraded Bay view room with the larger balcony. It was actually VERY expensive, "miles wise" but we figured it must be one heck of a room. It was in the north tower. When we got to our room, we were in an end "corner" room on the 17th floor, and it was really just the tiniest room. The bathroom was also tiny, and had no tub, just a tiled shower. I kept looking at the room, and then walked out on the "balcony." I don't think it's really far to call that a balcony..let's just call it a very small "alcove." Only one person at a time could stand in the small square area of the "balcony" really. They placed two small chairs on the "balcony," but because the balcony was smaller than most coffee tables, the chairs actually TOUCHED end to end. You could fit two chairs on the "balcony", however, you can't actually put humans in them to sit, otherwise you have no room for your legs. It was comical actually. Then, except for a small 2-3 foot section of "open" air, the entire area is covered in a glass/plexiglass that is so dirty you struggle to see out of it. If you wanted to peek out of the "balcony", you had to squeeze over past the touching chairs to look out. Ruins any semblance of a "view." So I would avoid these corner rooms if at all possible.

I really felt that for the amount of miles we used for this room, there was something seriously wrong. So I went downstairs and found a nice gentelman at the elite desk that my room was supposed to be a deluxe bay view room with a wonderful balcony and that what I seemed to have was the tiniest little corner room that seemed almost like an 'after thought' of what can we cram in this odd space at the end of our oddly shaped hotel towers. When I told him where our room was, he actually nodded and said that yes indeed, those were very small rooms and the balconies were not the typical balcony rooms. He even asked who had checked me in. I explained how many miles we had used for this "deluxe" room and he seemed quite apologetic and said indeed he would switch me into a better room. We were moved to the 21st floor into a room that was slightly better sized, not on a corner and had a more decent sized balcony and sliding door, etc. There was a tub and a shower like in normal hotels, the bathroom seemed slightly larger than the other rooms. However, I have stayed in MUCH nicer rooms on MAUI at high end hotels using less miles than we used for this room, so as far as value for what we got, I was seriously unimpressed. I would never have wasted the amount of miles we used on a what I consider to be a very standard hotel room such as this one. I would avoid the corner rooms and it seems as if they are used to dealing with my complaints as he did not give me any hassle and switched me out immediately.

Secondly, the rate I chose (using miles) for our room came with complimentary breakfast each day. It stated that clearly on my paperwork. After the nice gentleman at the elite desk helped me with switching my room, I inquired about where we went for the complimentary breakfast that was included in our room. The first lady who had checked us into the first room had no noted that our room also came with complimentary breakfast. I offered to show him my paperwork that stated our room rate included breakfast but he said that was fine, he would just note that on my room and we could enjoy the breakfast buffet for TWO (there were actually THREE people in our room, as indicated on our reservations, however, apparently when you pay for a room for 3 you still only get breakfast for 2. Not a big deal but something you SHOULD be told when booking your rooms, just so you know you will be charged upwards of $30 for the buffet breakfast for the 3rd person as not EVERYONE in the room receives a complimentary breakfast apparently. That said, the breakfast buffet was actually wonderful, an incredible selection of breakfast foods, cooked to order omelets, a custom juice bar that looked amazing, wonderful pastries, etc. No complaints about the breakfast, except when I was first checked in, it was not given to us, even though our room was supposed to have included it.

Overall, it was a relatively disappointing experience, made better by the fact that the nice man at the elite desk helped try to remedy the situation as best he could by changing my room and adding the complimentary breakfast to our account. I still walked away feeling as if I had wasted a very generous amount of hard earned miles on an extremely mediocre room. Lesson learned. We will find another hotel to stay at next year when we come back for our event.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms.. Very small, balcony is almost comical..You cannot have two people on "balcony" as once, as the two TOUCHING chairs are in the way. You could never sit out there.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tammy B
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Besides the "million dollar view" of the bay this is the standard Marriott with clean, well furnished room. The staff (especially Valet Donald!) were very nice and helpful. The location is premium but you definitely pay for it. Had a problem twice with being double billed for parking ($28 - self park, $40 - valet OUCH!) but was taken care of. Check your bill carefully. On the subject of self park...what a joke! $28 to park outside IF you can find one of the very tiny spaces open! Major convention/meeting hotel. We were there on leisure and felt we were in the wrong hotel sometimes! EVERYTHING from the snack bar to the restaurants to the gift shop were outrageously expensive! There's lots of restaurants within walking distance but the convenience of "grabbing a bite" in the hotel is going to cost you. And NO room service! Seriously, in a hotel this size? In summary...positives - staff, location, view in a bay view room. Negatives - extra costs, no room service, thin walls (heard our neighbor open his curtains like it was in our room at 6am and every time he closed his hall door we thought someone was trying to open ours). Would I recommend this hotel? Yes...but be prepared to pay! We will be staying elsewhere next time we are in town.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Absolutely surprised! I've lived in San Diego just about my entire life but have never stayed at the Marriott Marquis until recently. This is a beautiful property. The views from the North tower are of the marina, Coronado Bridge and Coronado Island.

We had great service from Kristine and Blake @ check in. Kari and Jarrod @ the Tequila Bar & Grille.

I will come back just to hang at the Tequila Bar!

Room Tip: North Tower if you can pull it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends