“Good Location, recommend for a city visit.”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chisinau, Moldova
“Good Location, recommend for a city visit.”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

When visiting a city I'm looking for a good location. This hotel is located in close proximity to Gas Lamp District. Just cross the tracks, turn right, and one block down you will be at the entrance of gas lamp district.

If you exit the hotel from the bay front you can turn right and the road will take you directly to the Marina Village. From there within walking distance is USS Midway. A little further down there's a museum with different ships and submarines.

The hotel stuff is very helpful. Rooms are clean and spacious. I had a View of Coronado Island and bridge.

Hope to located near the conference center. A block or two down are great breakfast places.

The hotel has been pretty good restaurant. There is also a Starbucks inside. They do not feature an outside swimming pool.

Room Tip: I think the bay view room is better. The city view room is not as nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Evghenii S
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in San Diego. We are fortunate that our location is one of our best amenities. Petco Park is just a few blocks away and is becoming a year round venue by brining events such as the Davis Cup and International Soccer events when baseball is not in season. I hope you will stay with us again and be able to explore some other enclaves like the Little Italy District or the new Headquarters.

Executive Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The decor is wonderful, the location next to the convention center is perfect, ask for north tower rooms if you are there for business as closer to the conference rooms in general.

However, I can only give 4 stars because my keys inactivated twice. First time going straight up to my room after a long day and late flight in, last thing you want to do is have to bring all your stuff back to the lobby to get new keys (and yes, I know not to put keys too close to any electronics, magnets, etc.). The front lobby host that night stated that it almost "never happens" making it seem that it may have been my fault, but there was a gentleman who just checked in right before me who also had to come back down to get his keys activated again as well. Then the next day, during a break in my business meeting, went up to my room and again they were deactivated. I called to complain to front desk staff-- this staff member was great, more understanding, and offered some hotel credit but since I was going to check out soon, I just asked for a slightly later check out time.

This wait to get into my rooms twice was so frustrating and pretty much gave a negative impression of my stay there- I wanted to give only 3 stars because of this however, because of the front desk clerk on my second day, and the very friendly valet staff who offered us water while we were waiting for our shuttle, etc., and overall staff was very friendly, this helped redeem the hotel in my eyes. It is obvious that management has made customer service a priority-- just need a better electronic key system.

Room Tip: North tower closer to meeting rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank AandS_Norcal
I have shared your post with our Front Office Manager and Director of Engineering so that they can review our key system. I sincerely apologize that you experienced a problem with your keys, not once but twice. Your time is valuable and on this occasion the inoperable keys took time away from your stay with us. Your complimentary words regarding our Front Desk Host and Valet staff are greatly appreciated and will be written up in our Hotel newsletter. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience and hope that you will consider our hotel the next time you are in San Diego so that we can have an opportunity to change your impression of our key system and extend the hospitality you are accustomed to when staying with Marriott.

Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this Marriott many times for business and for pleasure. The staff has exceeded my expectations this time around. I arrived after a grueling 17 hour travel ordeal with flight cancelations and delays. I was just so tired. Upon checking in I requested a heating pad. Unfortunately, one was not available. The staff offered and provided me with car to take me to a local pharmacy. The room had spectacular view of the pool and seemed to be newly refurbished. The amenities were great. My only complaint was they no longer had a magnifying mirror. It did hinder makeup application. All in all a great stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Helene E
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The location on this hotel is fantastic. It's close and convenient to everything in downtown San Diego and only a $15 cab ride or $8 shared van ride away from the airport (15 minutes). My husband was at this hotel for a conference which is how we ended up staying here. As I arrived 2 days after my husband did I was not part of the check in process so cannot comment on it.

We stayed in room 1721 in the North tower. The room is well equipped and comfortable. The amenities are decent but are definitely a more masculine scent(aromatic wood?) There is a coffee maker with individual serving style of brewing. A small fridge and in room safe complete the package. The bed was comfortable with a multitude of pillows. In room internet is available for a fee.

Where our disappointment came in was when someone moved into the suite below us. She was smoking on her balcony which seemed to vent directly into our room filling it with smoke. We couldn't have our balcony window open as she was out there talking and smoking well into the night. We called down to the front desk on Friday night to complain.. we rarely complain about much but we really enjoy having the windows open and getting the fresh air.
On Saturday night we had the same experience again .. we called down again to the front desk but again no resolve. On Sunday she was still out there smoking and crying on her phone all morning.. we called but we were checking out so we gave up. The rooms are non smoking and we didn't want to be charged for the cleaning fee because she was smoking below us.

Other than the smoking issue I can't say anything bad about this resort. We really enjoyed our time at the pool bar although they seemed to close before the listed closing time every night. They had wonderful gas firepits to sit by and enjoy the evening.

We went in to the Marina grill one of the evenings, service was very slow - took 15 minutes to get menus. Food and drink were ok.

Next time I go I will consider the Hilton or the Hyatt as they had equally great locations for what I expect is a similar price.. my husband spent one night at the Horton Grand in the gaslamp district and enjoyed it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank happyroo
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
I appreciate your complimentary notes regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that you were subjected to smoke and can certainly understand how upsetting this would be for you. As you stated, we are a non-smoking hotel and it's not that we "allow" smoking on the balconies, but some guests disregard the policy and smoke on balconies and in their rooms. I am working with our Director of Loss Prevention and Front Office Director to further investigate why this matter was not addressed during your stay with us. It’s our intention for all our guests to enjoy the view, and fresh air. I take your feedback seriously and will be reaching out to you directly.

Crestline, California
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Just spent the night there Jan 11th and the weather was perfect. The room was very nice with a balcony in the north tower. The views were endless to the Coronado Island and bridge. Seaport village was within walking distance and there were lots of vendors to watch. The restaurants and pool were great and the hotel had good music and food. Will definitely return here soon.

Room Tip: Make sure and choose the north tower if you have a choice
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank eagleeyes142
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Its next to the convention center so many who are there are in town for business.

Rooms are a standard layout and pleasant. Yeah the views are great.

Was tidy and well appointed with all necessaries.

Restaurant is good and breakfast is fast and good.

Check in and out was thorough and well done.

Would stay there anytime.

Room Tip: Do ask for water view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank glmorrisiii
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Location, location, location! This property sits right upon the gorgeous San Diego harbor with views of the stunning bay, Coronado and Point Loma. Stay here to walk to many restaurants, Seaport Village & ferry access to Coronado. 10 min from the airport.

DEFINITELY request/pay up for a room in the North tower for a balcony, we stayed 2 nights in the south tower and then came back later that week and were much happier enjoying the view from a balcony rather than just out a window. Also the room in the North tower had a bathtub (as a previous reviewer complained was lacking) though our South Tower room did not.

Pool here was great, nice fire pits and lounge furniture makes for a cozy evening experience as well. Liked the outdoor poolside bar/restaurant.

Dined 3 times at Market Kitchen and found it to be surprisingly good with a decent gluten free menu. Service attentive. Room service was quick and tasty as well. Great lobby here with Starbucks and particularly nice gift shop. Will be back!

• Stayed January 2014