“good hotel, excellent service”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #42 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed here for three nights for a conference in November. The location next to the conference center is excellent. The room was clean and modern, although a bit small. there was limited space to sit that was not on the bed. The view from the room over the marina was beautiful. The service was excellent. It took me less than a minute to check in and about the same amount of time to check out. Additionally, I had some issues with a dress that I needed to wear and housekeeping came up and assisted me with fixing it. I was very impressed. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed here for a convention for 4 days or so in August. Was very good - no major complaints.

Pros: Rooms were very clean and updated, excellent views from the room (we were on a pretty high floor). Restaurants were OK (Roy's - went once for dinner - excellent food but overpriced + The other restaurant (Market Kitchen - went twice -or something to that effect) - food was OK - ate mussels the first night - think I got sick from those, but the food overall was still pretty tasty. The common areas are always pretty busy, but the pool area and patio area are quite nice. Location was quite good overall.

Cons: Got stuck with 2 doubles instead of the requested King. Room service was a little slow (often room was cleaned 3-5 PMish).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had a lovely room in the South Tower, overlooking the marina, mountains and part of the Gaslamp District. The king size bed was extremely comfortable and the large bathroom with walk in shower and very good lighting was excellent. The drawer space for clothes was a bit small but with some juggling of the ice bucket and glasses off the shelves, there was ample room. Starbucks was the only game in town for coffee at the hotel. Breakfast off the menu was pricey if a lot was ordered. Fresh fruit salad was $10. The hotel is within walking distance of all the restaurants and shopping in the Gaslamp District, plus the shops and restaurants on the boardwalk along the water if one wanted to eat outside the hotel.

The Convention Centre, not attached, is next door.

The Hertz car rental desk in the lobby was a huge advantage with cars onsite.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed here for five nights this month (December, 2013) for a convention. My husband joined me for four of the five nights as well. This is a fabulous hotel. We are Marriott devotees to begin with and this is at the top of the tier. The room and bathroom are absolutely immaculate and perfect. Each room has a balcony which is delightful. We were on the 23rd floor and had a view that combined city and bay areas - lovely. The maid service is thorough and discrete. The concierge is helpful and polite. The location cannot be beat - you can easily walk to the Gaslamp District (which is a total blast) and the convention center, among other areas. You can also walk behind the hotel along the water, in either direction, and you will find lovely little mini-parks along the way to explore. The restaurant and bar on the main level of this hotel are really nice, albeit overpriced. There is live music at night and the drinks are delicious. Best cosmo I have ever had - and for a $14 price tag, I'm glad it was so delicious! In any case, this is a wonderful hotel - you will love it.

Room Tip: Request a high floor. Also request if you would like a city view or a bay view. In my case, room 2...
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Well, ONE complaint --- shame on them for charging $12.95 daily for internet access; get with the program, Marriott!

That being said, our room was just fine. Comfortable bed and easy chair. quick connection to the internet; decent maid service, nice view, etc. Maybe the most noteworthy part was the bathroom --- interesting set of toiletries and a night light that came on when one crossed the threshold into the bathroom. On the other hand, there was no towel rack -- what's with that? OK, so that's a second (if minor) complaint. In the lobby there was a helpful greeter who met everyone with a cheery smile whether you were just arriving or merely passing through the lobby; front desk and concierge staff were consistently helpful. I was happy to find a mini-Starbucks not far off the lobby.

The location of this hotel is superb --- short ride from the airport, next to the convention center, a short walk into the Gaslamp District, wonderful view of the water -- all that was great.

Room Tip: Just make sure you are high enough (we were on the 20th floor) to assure a good view.
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Located at the marina, harbor, and Seaport Village, and in easy walking distance from the Gas Lamp District, this resort hotel offers plenty of opportunities to have fun. Our room was not ready for early check in, but Shaun, at the front desk, gave us a $25 discount while we waited; then another $25 discount when there were further delays--all with cheerfulness! It was worth the wait: top floor of the North Tower, which gave us a panoramic view of the marina and harbor from our balcony--including the hour-long parade of lights (yachts with Christmas lights).

Room Tip: The North Tower offers a better panoramic view of the marina and harbor from the balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David L
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I just returned from a convention and stayed at this property. The proximity to the convention center and the Gaslamp District is outstanding. My room was well appointed with a comfortable bed, flat screen TV that worked well, and a nice little balcony. Bedtime became a small issue when I discovered tiny uncomfortable pillows and walls so thin I could hear the people next door talking. Morning brought a warm water shower (this was the only morning there was an issue but I do expect hot water in a hotel). Breakfast was either a Starbucks bagel or the restaurant. My choices were a $27 buffet or a $17 omelet and a $5 cup of coffee (the service was excellent). I expect things to be pricey and don't mind paying for convenience but I thought this was a bit high especially in light of the fact there were no other dining options in the area. Drinks in the evening at the lobby bar were quite expensive. I felt like everything was about 20%-30% more than I would expect to pay. Forgetting shaving cream I purchased a can in the convenience store for $10. Again, too expesive. My one trip to the health club brought frustration. The facility was very nice with plenty of machines and a very friendly staff. Unfortunately my key would not let me in. I had to go to the front desk, wait almost 10 minutes, and get a new key. The staff asked if I jiggled it or pressed down when I entered the key since the lock is not working well. Of course I didn't! How would I know to do this? Why not just fix the problem? All of the staff I met was extremely nice, helpful, and courteous. Bottom line, if traveling again to San Diego I would look for a differnt property.