“Centrally located between the bay and the Gaslamp disctrict”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northern NJ
“Centrally located between the bay and the Gaslamp disctrict”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was a nice enough hotel, if not outstanding in any particular way. My one complaint was that the largest hot tub by their pool was broken and they had no recourse to repair it as they were missing a part immediately before a major group event moved into the hotel. However, they were very apologetic and the manager went out of his way to make up for the misstep in any way he could.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland
Reviewed October 24, 2013

the amenities and atmosphere set this hotel apart. while the rooms are decent and had ample size, we really appreciated the great food options which were plentiful and the pool which reminded me of a Vegas pool with the vibe. The food at the outdoor tequila bar was great as was the takeout from the main restaurant downstairs. Drink service was also good. There was a concert for some event taking place outside our room which was frustrating for my wife who had to do some work that night but the front desk offered up a noise machine for free which did help a bit. The hotel has a great energy and I would definitely revisit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very well located, very centric, the view of Coronado and the bay is amazing, the rooms are very comfortable and the pool area is beautiful, the gym is excellent, there is a Starbucks in the lobby and other food services, its right next to the Convention Center and the Gaslamp Quarter. Kind of expensive but worth every dollar.

• Stayed October 2013
Irvine, California
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We went to San Diego on a family trip and had a great time at the Marquis. The property is close to the marina and is in walking distance to restaurants and shops. The room we got was a king size bed and everything was clean with a great view of the city. We specifically requested a room not facing the train and they provided an immediate room change. My family and I enjoyed the swimming pool as well as the pool side bar. The drinks were reasonably priced and the food was delicious. We would stay here again and recommend to friends.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed down the road for the first two nights at the Marriott downtown (not marquis). They overheard my bday was coming from my conversation with my fiance. They left me a card under my door offering a free appetizer with a very kind note! My bday was going to be during my stay at the marriott marquis a few blocks away. They didn't acknowledge the notes in our reservation about my bday. They did nothing special and claimed allowing us a king size bed was for my bday.

This place doesn't offer much. The window was so dirty on the outside we could hardly see our view. They lied and said their pool was heated it isn't and it's broken if it is. They also lied and said the hot tub was 85 degrees (I'm pregnant and can't go into tubs above 100 degree) I was so excited only to find a sign stating no pregnant woman 104 degrees. Why would the front desk be so lazy! No happy bday, no 10 second research into the pool.

To top it off the cleaning staff skipped our room. Now my grandmother cannot speak english before you label this racist and I do not speak Spanish. We are capable of some communication through gestures and basic words. Even I memorized functional Spanish for my job to service Spanish speaking patrons. I memorized words purely based on my services to them nothing more but it can service them. I had to flag down the cleaning staff because they skipped my room. The woman kept saying "no one, no clean?" I said no. Then she asked again three times and I answered. She was ready to walk away when a non cleaning staff translated she was asked to come back to clean in 30 min. She entered as I was putting shoes to leave she kept saying "no clean, no clean" then tried to leave. Not until I demanded "limpia ahora!" Thank god I remembered those words or I'd have a two day dirty room. She was not with it, no training or common sense.

There isnt a spa of any sort so arrangements for a bday pedicure was done at the hilton a ways down the road. I wanted a light meal with fruits and vegetables so I went to their kitchen (a restaurant-ish lounge area) and I asked specifically for the light food items with fruits and vegetables, another lie they smiled and said yes. I asked to see the menu and there wasn't anything I described, I asked if they could point out the items they said they had and the hostesses said, "Oh, yeah we really don't have any. But one has beets" beets aren't light. I'm terribly bummed. This place is pricey and they smile and lie through their teeth. They barely clean your room when they do and the outside of the window is covered in so many dirt speckles it ruins the view you paid extra for.

Pay much less for a hotel down the road for much more in amenities, treatment and cleaning. Thanks for the mediocre bday. Never again.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank aylaj
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Pleasant high rise hotel on San Diego Bay. Rooms are clean and well appointed and the view is great. However room I had at a Springhill last week was much larger and half the price. Bathroom was just way too small for two people, but partially redeemed because it had a great shower. Really disappointed to have an old fashioned coil mattress as so many hotels now have coil and foam mattresses.

Nice pool complex behind the hotel for families.

Room Tip: Beautiful location and I usually love Marriotts but this one not so much. Ask for a room on the wate...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is really well located, with incredible views. We were upgraded to an executive suit, with a huge living area and balcony with an amazing view. The bedroom area was really small as was the bathroom. The area with the shower and toilet had a mirror on the door that you looked at as seated on the toilet if the door was shut. In my opinion this was poor placement.

However,the balcony was amazing with an incredible marina view which makes up for the weird mirror in the bathroom.

We went to the Marina Kitchen for appetizers it was nice with a great view.

We went to Roy's, it was awful. The food was bad, my husband's fish was cold and the service was so incredibly slow that he was worried he would have no food if he sent it back so he ate around it.

I asked the concierge for a restaurant recommendation , she first recommended Roy's and after another question recommended the Top of the Market, which was great see my review,however she gave me a business card and told me they did not take reservations, which was wrong as they are on Open Table.

If not for the experience at Roy's and the concierge this would be a five rating, as the rest of the staff, bell and restaurants were great.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business