“Bustling hotel met our needs” 5 of 5 stars

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #36 of 282 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, AZ
“Bustling hotel met our needs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a large busy hotel. We stayed here 4 nights in late March. We drove from Phoenix and had no problem navigating downtown to the hotel. The front driveway, check-in and self parking all made for an easy arrival. The room was nice, clean and spacious; typical for a Marriott as were the friendly employees. There is a Ralph's grocery store within walking distance, so we stocked up on snacks and breakfast items (the hotel food/restaurants are expensive!). But beware: the room's refrigerator is the type that only keeps items cool, not cold. There is a disclaimer on its door to not store medicine, etc. So we avoided any foods that could spoil easily in that environment. Unlike Arizona pools, the pool area was green and tropical; there were even lawn chairs on grass! The pool was lively while we were there: families on spring break, etc. and the pool bar was great-- OK for Happy Hour, but good people watching. The location of this hotel can't be beat. You can walk to the Gaslamp District for good eats and fun nightlife. There are so many bars and restaurants in the Gaslamp, it will boggle the mind! And you are at the marina with walking paths in all directions for leisurely strolls. Another perk is the water taxi: Marriott runs a small boat across the bay to the Coronado Marriott dock. Its is $6 per person and takes 7 minutes to go across the bay. We hopped on and charged to our room, rented bikes on Coronado for the day, then returned via water taxi-- super convenient! Every morning we went down to Starbuck's on the first floor, then sat around with everyone else to use the free WiFi (we avoided the extra charge for Internet in the room). All in all it was a great stay-- we will definitely return!

Room Tip: Although we were above the train tracks, the noise did not bother us at all.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mshndv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,225)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here in march for 2 days with my husband . Beautiful hotel . Rooms were very comfy clean and modern with great views . Location
Is perfect with the gas lamp quarter steps away with nightlife and shopping . Great outside bar with fires . Only negative we were shocked to pay 55 dollars for the buffet breakfast in the hotel ! !

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank prendep2016
Os Municipality, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Wonderful time, great hotel - the rooms are large and public areas spacious, clean and attractive.The staff are attentive and keen to help and always smiling. Excellent value and well worth staying here.

The pool area is a particular highlight - it is large with plenty of space for sunbathing.

Veldig bra. Sentralt og lyst beliggende! Lekkert hotell og fine, ganske store moderne rom! Anbefales!

1 Thank haddajoh
Brookline, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had an event at the San Diego Marriott Marquis and its location and staff were both excellent. Often this hotel is super busy with meetings due to its generous meeting room space so the lobby and bar are packed quite a bit. The rooms were nice - both times I stayed there I was facing the bay -- I would recommend asking for bay side rooms. The Mexican poolside cafe is quite nice. The room service menu was a little blah. The hotel itself is well taken care of and really close to the gas lamp district. Also a great location for anyone going to the convention centre. Not sure this is where I would stay for personal travel but absolutely great for work.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bay side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a convention in early April. The hotel was beautiful from the lobby to the pool area to the room. I had a really nice room on the 24th floor with partial views of downtown and the marina from the balcony. Room service was good and the food was as well. I was a few steps from business at the convention center and a few blocks away from fun all around.

• Stayed April 2013
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here because I had a conference... thought it would be good value. Bar drinks so overpriced, Dinner was overpriced and we had a room with 2 queen beds, well they were supposed to be queen. so very small. Probably should have asked for a king room, Very overpriced, but then it was on the water and close to the city to walk. $28 a day for parking on top of $279.00 a room was very expensive and then the internet was very poor.. Extremely poor. On our return to San Diego we won't be staying here. So many other choices to select from that would be less expensive and still close to the harbour and Gaslamp district

Room Tip: Unless you have an unlimited budget, choose another hotel.
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Emeldez
Jeanine S, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we value the opinions of our guests! We apoligize that you felt that you did not receive a good value in the amount paid at our property, and had trouble with the internet. We would like to speak to your personally so we try to arrange another future stay. Please contact our Director of Sales & Marketing for future assistance Jan.Hulahan@marriott.com
Edgewood, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis San Diego because it was one of the designated conference hotels for an event I attended at the San Diego Convention Center. Since my “regular” hotel chain of choice didn’t have any nearby options, I used this opportunity to give the brand a try. It had been some time since I’d stayed in a Marriott, and I must say I was very impressed with the hotel.

First, kudos to the staff at this hotel. Every hotel employee I encountered was exceptional – desk clerk, housekeeping, and bellman. I was very impressed with the level of professionalism displayed.

My room was on the 22nd floor in the north tower and overlooked the harbor and marina. It had a nice little balcony which I enjoyed very much. The room was spacious, extremely quiet, comfortable, and had decent lighting. The bed was wonderfully comfortable and pillows were just right. The bathtub and toilet were separated from the sink by a door, which is convenient if a family or several friends are traveling together. I liked the Bath & Body toiletries, too.

Many upscale hotels have mini-fridges but usually as a mini-bar. This one offered an mini-fridge for guest use. It was definitely appreciated. The desk, the wall, and the bedside lamp had electrical outlets. I like charging my phone overnight while using it as my alarm so the bedside outlet is a big plus. Speaking of charging… if I can complain about anything at all regarding this hotel it is having to pay for internet. The charge is $12.95 USD for 24 hours.

[Steps up on soapbox] Many upscale hotels still charge for internet access knowing that business travelers will pay. More than once I’ve been told that the charge is in line with other similar properties, and it is true. But, it is a practice that does not speak to your high level of customer service. In fact, in this technology-dependent world you offer a disservice to your customers. Many business travelers (like me, and I spend 130+ nights a year on business travel) have a choice when we decide whether or not to return to your property. Complimentary internet access should be offered to travelers as commonly as hair-dryers. And it should be offered complimentary to all – not just a perk for the hotel’s elite guests. Your policy might be a deciding factor next time. [Steps down from soapbox]

Back to my review of the Marriott Marquis... Since I was staying at this hotel while attending a conference, I didn’t have time to use the beautiful pool. It looked very inviting, and there seemed to be plenty of space for sun-worshippers. I did find some time to stroll around the bay area. There is a wonderful walking/running path just outside the hotel next to the bay, and Seaport Village is a great place to spend some time and money. (Be sure and have a margarita and fish tacos at the little Margarita’s Kitchen & Cantina. They were great!) The hotel is also an easy walk to the Gaslamp District, which is the reason I didn’t have dinner at the hotel. There were so many options available and so little time!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay, and can highly recommend the hotel. I give it five stars with a slight tarnish. The Marriott Marquis San Diego would shine brightly without the archaic internet charge.

1 Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad