This is a huge, Las Vegas style conference hotel, designed to deal with masses of guests. We found it not to be the best choice for independent travelers. The location is convenient to the Gaslamp district, and other tourist attractions. Such things as getting your car out can take a while, though. We are Platinum Elite, which gives us upgrades and other benefits, and that's one reason we chose this place. But the special Elite check-in desk was manned by an amazingly unfriendly and uncooperative person. She went through an odd lecture about the benefits we would be receiving (as if we'd never experience Elite level before), but made sure we got only the minimum benefits. When we booked the room, we'd been told by the people at Marriott's reservation line that at least one of the Concierge Lounges would be open while we were here (weekend prior to New Years), and we were looking forward to having breakfast, evening snacks, etc. She made clear that no lounge would be open and we would be entitled only to a breakfast coupon for one day of our stay. We didn't get upgraded, though the hotel was half empty. She set the tone for the rest of our stay. Despite the hotel's size, there are few choices for dining on premises. The Marina Kitchen is essentially a wildly overpriced Applebee's - simple comfort food and poorly trained kids who don't watch the tables, preferring to stop by from time to time, one after another, to say "how is the pie, good?" - preferably when your mouths are full, walking away before you can answer. The other choice is Roy's, a "Hawaiian Fusion" chain restaurant where the view is the attraction and the prices are presumably for expense accounts. Better to leave the premises and walk over to the Gaslamp district, which has great choices in every price range. Note that on Sundays there's a farmer's market on Third Ave, a few blocks away, with vendors selling great ethnic street food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The centerpiece of the inspiring San Diego Bay, the San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina is a premier San Diego, CA hotel. With 1,360 guest rooms, 75,000 sq ft of meeting space, a 446-slip marina & an environment that easily transitions from dynamic meetings to resort-style relaxation, the San Diego hotel is a welcome escape. Adjacent to the San Diego Convention Center and steps from the Gaslamp Quarter, our downtown San Diego, CA hotel’s location provides convenient access to championship golf and popular attractions like the San Diego Zoo, Sea World San Diego and LEGOLAND California. Experience a grand sense of arrival in the new lobby our San Diego hotel & personalized service from our dedicated staff. Unwind in a renovated guest room with sweeping bay views. From a state-of-the-art fitness center, to an enticing new pool area, to top-notch cuisine at our waterfront restaurants, it all comes together for an authentic downtown San Diego experience, only at the San Diego Marquis & Marina. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Diego Marriott Marquis And Marina
- San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina Hotel San Diego
- Marriott San Diego