“Excellent Location but crowded Concierge Lounge”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #41 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Alamos
“Excellent Location but crowded Concierge Lounge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Excellent hotel with an outstanding location in downtown San Diego. On/off highway easy to find, easy to park. Hotel was extremely crowded, but it was Labor Day weekend. Great view on the 25th floor, room was well maintained with the usual Marriott touches (comfy beds, refrigerator, coffee maker, numerous cable channels, etc.) Had a dinner at the Marina Restaurant in the lobby which was good with excellent service.

Labor Day weekend meant very crowded pool, very crowded Starbucks and very crowded Snack Bar. The Concierge Lounge was not prepared for the crowds on Sunday night and Monday. Valet parking was a bit slow, but the attendants gave fair warning to expect a wait the following day, which was much appreciated. Warning -- if you are staying on the bay side, music

All in all I would stay at the property again for the views and the location. Not sure if I would stay during a holiday weekend though.

Room Tip: High floor, bay side
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dczerkle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,317)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Beautiful property with impeccably kept grounds, 15 minutes away from the airport. A cab from the airport costs $15. Great urban location were you can walk to the Gaslamp district and enjoy all the shops, restaurants and night life,
I stayed at this hotel for a large meeting and was pleased with the room, the service, and the meeting rooms. The staff courteous and eager to help. Special kudos to the chef : the food is creative, visually appealing and good)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I decided to book a Sunday night stay over Labor Day with friends at the San Diego Marriott Marquis like we did last year..the weather wasn't the best last year, but this year the sun was blazin....and the weather was perfect to enjoy the pool, the outdoor restuarants, the service was great and the drinks were cold,,,we went away saying... man that was fun... with a promise of lets do it again next year.
Our room was in the south tower on the 20th floor with a bay view of the point loma peninsula, tremendous, I highly recommend the bay view but the city side view with downtown and the new public library building is interesting as well. Either way take a high room to enjoy the view, but to be honest I only stayed in my room to sleep,,, I must mention my king sized mattress was sloping in the middle on the outside of the mattress, which mademe wonder WTF happened here to make this happen.... i'm not a complainer and by the time I hit the rack... I was dying to sleep so it didn't matter....I'm sure if I had called down to the front desk they would have moved me to a suite for my trouble....
We started our stay dropping our bags at the Bell Desk and headed to our meeting place with the other couples at the Tequila bar and grill for lunch and drinks. Then we headed to the pool enjoying the sun, the scenery....and some more drinks..oh the drinks,,,with the crowd of peolpe who travel with their kids... drinks are a necessity...after a beautiful sunset we returned to our rooms and cleaned up for a dinner out at the Harbor House, which is just a short walk to Seaport Village.
Monday morning the kid scene had subsided with a more open pool area, breakfast down the road toward Seaport village followed by a nice stroll the opposite direction toward the 5th street pier where the mega yachts are docked to view, WOW, the life they must lead..then back to the Marriott to enjoy the pool and the even warmer sun today,,,ohh the drinks were great to,,,what a relaxing day finished off by an early dinner at the Tequila bar,,I reccommed the baja ceviche as an appetizer with the carne asada Torta sandwich..both filling and delicious...my woman loved the weekend and we will do it again next year,,,,cant be beat!

Room Tip: High floors have a tremendous view of the big bay or the downtown city lights.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Covina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Styaed over Labor day weekend. great location next to marina and seaport village. Easy walk to Little Italy and gaslamp dist. Stayed in the south tower, bay view. Room good size, comforatble king size bed with 5 pillows. Small bathroom, poor water pressure. Liked refrig in room. maids cleaned well, no complaints. Pool area reminded me of their Maui property. Very tropical. very nice. Used valet service that was not bad as long as you called down for car 10 minutes before you needed. All in all, a good stay but something was missing. Can't explain but would proabbly try another hotel next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is in such a wonderful area! It is within walking distance of the Seaport Village and downtown Gas Lamp District. There are restaraunts within the hotel itself and poolside! The views from our room were awesome! We could see out onto the bay and also the cityscape! Our room was cozy and clean. Would love to stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed at this Hotel twice and both times were amazing! Hotel staff were extremely professional and accommodating! They really knew how to take care of their guests! Location could not be better - everything is walking distance! Best Hotel in San Diego!

Room Tip: Pool view is worth it!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husbnd and I stay at the Marriot Marquis on a fluke. I had originally booked a room at the Embassy Suites Downtown San Diego. Somehow my reservation at Embassy Suites got screwed up and there were no more rooms available. The rep from embassy offered me a room at Hampton Inn and some place that sounded like the Homeless Inn. I declined his offer and began to cry. Then, I googled the first hotel I could find in the same area. I found Marriot and the rep said she had no availability at the location I requested, but she did have a room very close to it. She offered me the Marriot Marquis and I took it. The Marriot Marquis was absolutly perfect! The location was better than the Embassy suites and the service was better that anything I could have imagined. The staff nearly competed over who could give us better service. I loved it!.....Thanks to Roland and the rest of the staff for helping my husband and I have a great weekend getaway.

• Stayed September 2012