“Best place to stay for Comic-Con”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #41 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We've stayed at the Marriott for Comic-Con several times now. This year was great! They had spruced up the rooms a bit and did some major remodeling around the pool area. The outdoor bar & grill was a nice break from the madness of the Con. Also great people watching, as many of the special guests stay there.

Our room was comfortable, with a fabulous view. Noise from downstairs/outside was intense on the weekend, but it could have just been because of the Con. Staff very nice, no problems. Would stay there on other visits to SD.

Room Tip: Best view is the harbor view from the North Tower
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank kim_munson

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've been to San Diego quite a few times now but this was the first time staying at the Marriott Marina. I was there with my son for Comic-con and the Marriott is basically attached to the San Diego Convention Center.

It's a very nice looking hotel on a great spot right on the water. It is also a very big hotel with two towers and convention rooms to augment the already large SDCC. Even though it was Comic-con the hotel staff were all very efficient and I never thought we waited too long for anything from check in to the restaurants on site.

Rooms were very nice as well. We had a regular two double bed room. Internet was quite expensive so I didn't use it.

We tried DW's for breakfast and lunch and both times the food and service were quite good. We also tried Roy's which is a Hawaiian themed restaurant. We have been to Roy's in Waikiki and loved it so we tried it for lunch one day and it was also very good at the Marriott.

Overall a highly recommended hotel but it's not cheap as are most hotels in the Gaslamp district.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Starting with our online booking, arrival at hotel and accomodations -- WONDERFUL! Everyone was very helpful and went out of their way to be sure we enjoyed ourselves.
I often need an internet connection while traveling (I'm a Realtor) and dislike having to pay for internet service. During this trip I needed to connect to internet and discovered that I could go to the lobby bar or Starbucks (in Hotel) and have free wireless internet service.
Loved being next to the Bay, walking on the "strand", Seaport Village, eating at Roy's Asian Fusion Restaurant in Hotel and lots more! Also, very convenient for walking to Petco Park for the baseball games, shopping at Horton Plaza, Little Italy, Gaslamp District & accessing other areas by trolley train.

1  Thank glendagrow
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I had a very comfortable stay at what is now called the Marriott Marquis and Marina in San Diego. I love the Marriott beds. They are incredibly comfortable.

This hotel is located on the waterfront (at the Marina!) in downtown San Diego, immediately next to the convention center, and at the edge of the Gaslamp district, which has many restaurants and clubs. There are a number of restaurants in the hotel. I had the breakfast buffet at DW's which was fine. The large pool is inviting. The hotel is also next to one of the San Diego trolley stops.

The trolley line parallels a freight train line. I got a nasty start at about 4am from a very loud train whistle. (I stayed 4 nights and this woke me only once.) This might be less of a problem on the harbor side of the building.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Mike84097
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here for Comic-Con 2011 and I have to say, I was impressed with the ease of check-in and that they did not screw up our reservations. The hotel (and Comic-Con itself) is directly across from the gaslamp district, which is loaded with restaurants, and the view of the water on the bay side is nice. So if you're in town for a convention and you don't want to deal with the hassle of shuttle buses or walking a few blocks back and forth to the convention center, I would recommend the Marriott. If not, I'm not sure this place is worth the price. There were small things, such as the lack of a bathroom vent, that I found mildly annoying.

1  Thank redpen
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I was surprised to get a reservation using Marriott points since the hotel was "sold out". I figured the trade off for the free room would be that the service would be lacking, but I was wrong! Check in was a breeze (and when I realized I left my purse in my car, the valet brought my car back within 5 minutes), the room was on the small side but well appointed. I was only charged for self parking even though we had to valet park as the self parking was full. A late check was allowed. Only compliant was the bell hop who offered to show me where my bags could be stored after checkout but walked/ran ahead of me and did not offer to help carry my bags to the area on the far side of the lobby. Overall, this was the perfect place to stay for Comic Con and I would stay here again when I return to SD.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BethTO
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel was right within walking distance of the Convention Center, Gaslamp district and the waterfront. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. The pool area is great. Customer setrvice was excellent. Was a little bit on the expensive side. Stayed in a room with the bayview which was awesome.

Room Tip: Room with the Bayview was awesome
2  Thank Jason1028