“Great Staycation and perfect location for the tourist in San Diego” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #38 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Great Staycation and perfect location for the tourist in San Diego”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

The hotel is huge. It reminded me of one of those large convention hotels. It has two towers, around 4-5 restaurants, a Starbucks, Roy's Hawaiian fusion restaurant, and a very large pool and bar scene. It reminded me of something out of Vegas (but suitable for families).

I was very impressed with the decor. Everything seemed spacious, very clean and filled with bright colors. The rooms were very clean and the bathrooms had real wood in them in full length mirrors on the backs of the bathroom doors.

It’s a great hotel for business. As a matter of fact, the convention center is literally next door to the hotel.

I think the main highlight of this place was the pool/bar. I apologize for not having pics of it; I honestly was too busy drinking pina coladas to remember to take those pics :). The staff is very nice and attentive and its definitely one of those hotels that can cater to the family with young children, the energetic 20-somethings and the more mature ones that just want to sit back and talk over a beer…or two... or three. I admit the largest area of the pool was closed that day so I didn’t go in but it looked amazing.

The Marriott is right on Seaport village, next to the embarcadero and 3 blocks down and across the street from the Gaslamp.

Some tidbits to those going to SD for the first time... the Gaslamp is filled with restaurants and bars so make sure to check that out. Seaport village is a tourist trap but very nice and fun to walk around. The zoo and balboa park are MUSTs. If you have the time (and love Mexican food) check out the carnitas at the Old Town Mexican Cafe. If you love desserts, I recommend you go to Extraordinary Desserts. If you ove burgers, go to Hodad's. Parking in downtown is horrible and expensive but its worth it. if you love crab, check out Joe's Crab Shack. For steaks, Mortons or Loui and Mickies. For breakfast you must go to Hash House a-Gogo. A fun date night with live music at Anthropology. If you love biking and walking, you can get from downtown ( aslamp/Seaport Village) to Balboa and Hilcrest/NorthPark/Banker Hill without a taxi. Also, this hotel is pretty close to the airport and I beleive they have an airport shuttle.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelbuglove83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,304)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

Checked in this past weekend to a line of cars 8 or 10 deep in all four lanes of the poorly run front driveway ( which once you are in you can't bypass). Check in took 45 minutes with only 5 people trying to check in about 100 guests. Waited another 10 at elevator banks to get upstairs to South Tower room. Shared elevator with 2 dogs that exited on different floors. Apparently dogs can stay wherever they want in this building so look out those with allergies! Room was adequate and clean, but there was no High Def television. Really? is this 2001? Attempted "newly renovated pool experience" with children which consists of about 700 lounge chairs, all oocupied, and packed in like sardines. Both pools was cloudy with filth , oh and on the 4th the large pool was actually closed due to someone's child or dog crapping in it..that left 1200 people to share the "children's" pool with Max Occupancy of 80 listed on the signage. Poolside drink service was spotty, my server who finally appeared after about 35 minutes said I could order my drink but would have to close out my tab. When I asked for a cup of water for my 3 year old, I was told quite rudely "there are water stations by the pool" so don't expect to get tap water or ice from the bar! After 15 minutes my bill appeared and she asked me to sign and close out before I had even received my drink. Went out to dinner and returned to signs indicating the self parking lots were full ( despite the fact I am paying $26 per night to self park) and need to proceed to the valet. Back to the front drive for another 35 minutes of complete chaos, no traffic control, and seemingly 1 valet on duty to park every single car.
Sort of reminded me of the Starbucks line all mornings of our stay, about 40 people deep with one person making coffee.
If Marquis means waiting 45 minutes for everything in the hotel, and paying extra for these amenities, then you should stay here and enjoy your $15.00 in room movie in non high def. I will not stay again.

Room Tip: Stay away,
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Moholo
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I've stayed at almost all of the Marriott's in downtown SD and this is by far my favorite!

I attended a convention at the Convention Center so the location was perfect. I checked in around 8pm and had to wait, which normally annoys me but they had plenty of people working and it was quite busy. The concierge floor was full but I was offered a room in the North Tower one level down. I asked for a balcony and all they had was the South Tower (no concierge in that tower) and I accepted because I really wanted to sit on the balcony with a glass of wine.

The room was great- definitely renovated and had a nice flat screen. I used the gym a few times it is definitely top of the line for hotels. There were more free weights and machines than some regular gyms. The concierge lounge was top notch as always with great warm apps at night and a fantastic hot breakfast. I allowed myself extra time to walk over and up there to visit the lounge. I didn't go to the pool but I have in the past and love it. They have bar service and you feel like you on a tropical island when you are down there.

The cons; parking. I dread doing the self park but also hate waiting for valet for my car so I do it. It's hard to find a spot and annoying (esp being a female traveling alone) to walk back to the hotel at night. I don't see how they can fix this but here's hoping!

Great hotel, look forward to going back!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony in the South Tower!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

I just returned from a quick three-night stay at the Marriot Marquis and found the place to be nearly perfect. The customer service was simply amazing. Every employee I encountered was very professional and accommodation. The location was very convenient to plenty of shopping and dining. I had some extra time and took the boat ride over to Coronado and it was a lot of fun. The facilities at the hotel were very good. The fitness center was open 24 hours and had attendants most of the day. All of the equipment was in working order and there was normally someone handing out water. The hotel also had fresh fruit out along with cold water at several locations. I’m normally not a Marriott person but had no choice with this hotel as my work booked. I can honestly say it is better than most of the places I’ve picked in the past. The bottom line is a nice hotel close to many things and the service and amenities are great!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

Recently stayed here for an event at the Zoo and a weekend in San Diego. Great location steps away from Shopping Resturants and all the Gaslamp has to offer. We love the Marriott Gaslamp as well, but this offered a great pool area to take advantage of the great SoCal weather. Standard Marriott room- nothing special. Tiny balcony (we were in the North Tower) and we enjoyed the balcony. Mini Fridge in room was nice for Water and sodas. Employees were genuinely helpful and nice.

The only complain was average housekeeping (think the same spot on the floor or night table for 3 days and it came at FOUR PM (!!!) both days. As a Marriott Platinum I was a little more hopeful than that.

Concierge Lounge is nice with a great view, but dont expect any "extras" bar wise- prices are the exact same as in the lobby bar, perhaps a little higher given the lobby lounge specials. Starbucks in lobby....but be prepared to wait in an epic line.

Pool area large and nice, but chairs are packed in like sardines....bring the headphones! Fitness center large, new and impressive for a hotel gym.

Overall, I would stay again.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Argyle, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed here 3 nights while attending a conferance at the convention center, which the hotel is very convenient too. I was on the 15th floor with a view over the convention center. The room was adequate, nice furnishings except for a cheap plastic toilet seat. The bed was very comfortable. I am a light sleeper, but was never awakened by the train or anything else. I was also right next to the vending room and elevators, and the noise from them were also not a bother. The front desk staff were good, and all the public areas were clean. The pool area was open and nice, but it was in the 60's the days I was there, so only kids were in the pool. Again, from the previous reviews I was a little concerned, but the hotel met all my needs and was better than expected.

Room Tip: Ask for a north tower room to get a balcony.
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank chillinfool
East Lansing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed at two hotels during a week long conference in San Diego. The Grand Hyatt Manchester and the San Diego Marriott Marquis - the difference was night and day. the staff at the Hyatt was ok - the staff at the Marriott was exceptional. The Marriott is new, fresh, modern. The Hyatt is dated. Both look nice from the outside and both have nice lobbies. the Marriott is much more user friendly in terms of gift shops, restaurants, pool service. The guest rooms couldn't have been more different. The Hyatt felt old and dated. The Marriott was modern and comfortable. Oh, and the Hyatt has art in the lobby that makes absolutely no sense. It's just weird ... it might be more appropriate in colonial Williamsburg but on the bay in San Diego. The Marriott was outstanding ... we're planning to return for leisure travel. One of the best hotels I have had the pleasure to visit.

1 Thank MI1962