“Eh..Good for a couple of days”

Kings Inn San Diego
Ranked #38 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Queen Creek, Arizona
“Eh..Good for a couple of days”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2007

This hotel was OK. Like other people said the bathrooms are tiny, my husband was too tall for the shower (he is 5'9) One of the ceiling panels fell off & hit me in the head. They could have cleaned a lot better, dirty doors, walls,etc.

The beds were comfy. The property is vintage looking, but kept up well. The Waffle Spot was so-so. Service wasn't great, but the food came quick once our order was finally taken. The Amigo Spot was terrible mexican food. Being from AZ we are used to great, authintic mexican food tho.

Location is wonderful, right off the freeway & close to the mall.

I would probably stay there again if it was for a few days. Not more than 2 or 3 tho.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food, cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelerinAZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2007

I have NOTHING good to say about this hotel. It was a total dump! I stay in San Diego a lot (I mean A LOT) and have stayed at a lot of mediocre hotels and a few nice ones... but this was neither. This place is like some Tijuana nightmare. What do I mean by that? Read more below...

First, the staff were unfriendly and almost resented having to work. That was the first tip off that something was wrong. The second tip off was the strange smell in the lobby. A super disgusting and cheap room deodorizer that smelled like it came from the 99cent store (in some flavor like LILAC or something very old smelling and too floral). Awful.

Okay, I was tired and needed a place to stay and couldn't get on the internet. So I was a walk in. The outside of the place is deceptively
retro and tropical. The inside is nothing like that! MAJOR mistake going here. I paid almost a hundred dollars for a room (using AAA -- who by the way should NOT be recommending this dump to anyone!). I was totally ripped off.

After I changed rooms from a room that was next to the noisy freeway and which had a window that opened up to a blank wall (nice architecture! .... NOT !)... I was then given a room that was worse. I was told it would be a King and it was a double queen. I was tired and didn't feel like changing rooms again. Started to unpack, went to the bathroom. Saw massive peeling paint and mice feces! (took a photo) There were also strange stains on the carpet that splashed up onto the closet mirrors (and which seemed like it had been there for a while). Unbelievable! No, I am NOT kidding!

I tried to ignore it and NOT walk around barefoot for obvious reasons. The room smelt horrible too. Like somebody had died in there. But housekeeping had obviously sprayed OVER the smell with that same gag-inducing air freshner from the lobby! I woke up at 2 am and was choking on the smell and physically got ill from it -- so I had to open a window to air the room out. I KNOW somebody had to have died in this room. It was THAT smell. Horrible. I went down to the soda machine area by the pool to get a soda to calm my stomach and was ripped off by BOTH soda machines which stole my quarters! I finally got one soda after paying for TWO. Obviously someone has rigged the machine to drop coins down into the machine and not into the proper coin area (I noticed this only after I had put in the coins).

I know! This is unbelievable. But this is what kind of place this is!I feel COMPELLED to warn people to say away from here!

Absolute nightmare in every respect.

This is a hotel room that is going for around a hundred bucks too (but should be about $10 for what you get). Total dive. Terrible decor. No coffee maker. No iron even! Dinky little towels that are more like bath cloths and just absolutely unclean and smelly.

DO NOT STAY HERE! Unless you are a transient, homeless person or someone who has absolutely no standards. It isn't even the bare bones
no nonsense kind of hotel for a tired person for one night. Go to the Vagabond down the street for that (at least that one is CLEAN and the people are friendly). If you have any sense at all and want to enjoy a NICE San Diego hotel, you are going to have to spend a bit more money and go to a different part of town. This place is pure Tijuana standards. Fine for Mexico maybe, but not for San Diego.

Oh and this is good. I overheard a girl say that someone's car was carjacked in the lot the same night I was there! Yes! Believe it. Not a safe area. Would rate this hotel an F! ! ! Do not stay here!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything, horrible, horrible experience
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank jetlagnow
edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2007

not a bad place it is central in san diego just across the road to fashion valley. it's safe and clean good for the budget traveler good access to the interstates really good stay!!!

Stayed February 2007
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2007

Great value, they now have free wi-fi in the rooms. Great service, they have little papers with instructions on how to get everywhere. Convenient to everything. Bathrooms are small, and this is no means a Hyatt, but we paid 50 bucks a night . Buy your Sea World and Zoo tickets here, you get two days for the price of one at Sea World and the Zoo ticket adds the sky tram and tour bus at no additional cost.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank b00mers00ner
Riverside, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2006

I was looking for banquet facilities for my parents 50th anniversary and chose the Kings Inn. The staff is very friendly and the lady in charge of setting up the banquet was very kind. We booked multiple rooms and everything was clean and very inexpensive considering the area. Please understand that it is an older hotel. If you're looking to save money this is the place. The anniversary party was perfect. The banquet room, setup, etc. is FREE. All you pay for is the catering. They setup tables, placesettings, dance floor, even decorated, all for just the cost of the food which was good and also reasonably priced. They saved us a ton of money with the banquet. The room isn't too large (max about 50 people I think), but there is room for a dance floor, balcony and a small bar also. There are coupons at [--]

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank EmbraceThisMoment
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2006

Have stayed there several times. Live in SD and use it as a get away. One of few places with adjoining rooms. Family friendly most of the time. On first stay, adults were drinking in the hot tub. Other than that, rooms are nice and always very clean. Ice, soda and snack machine easy to get to. Nice desk to work at and table to sit at and eat. Room service was good, food arrived hot. Overall have enjoyed my stays here and we plan to stay there in the future when we want to get away from our house.

• Liked — Adjoining rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — None
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandi A
Las Vegas NV.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

the rooms were very nice and comfortable and the staff was very helpful and nice to us in every thing we needed. The food was great at both the restrunts and it is nice to have a little store so close to you while there.I will be reckamenting it to others. And if and when I return to the area I will most serently be staying ther agian.

• Liked — The price and the location.
  • Disliked — rooms were a little small.
  • Tips/Secrets — enjoy,enjoy,enjoy.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family