“Good for the price”

Kings Inn San Diego
Ranked #26 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Like a previous review stated, you get what you pay for. I paid around $75 for one night and could not have expected anything better for that price. The only real complain I have is that the bed was extremely firm. This hotel is a great option for a couple nights at the most, but you should probably look elsewhere if you want to stay longer.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,318)

Reviewed May 26, 2008

You know the old adage… you get what you pay for? This holds true for the Kings Inn. San Diego is an expensive place to stay so we were hoping this would be a decent option for the budget traveler. The price was right but I probably wouldn’t stay there again.

We spent the Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend there as our eldest daughter was graduating from college. That night was also prom night and (at least) four rooms in our vicinity were booked by high schoolers boozing and swearing most of the night, partying with the doors open. I called the front desk in the wee hours of the morning and was told they’d send security to check on it. The next morning we ate breakfast at the on-site Waffle Spot (just ok, nothing special) and saw carloads of high school seniors checking out.

Unfortunately, I’m a light sleeper and I found this hotel (and its guests) to be quite noisy both late at night and at the crack of dawn. The parking area echoes so voices are amplified through the non-soundproof rooms. One plus that attracted me to the hotel is it’s nonsmoking. On the downside, tons of folks were smoking outside our room section, apparently in violation of the hotel’s policy.

The room was rather dark and dingy but the bed was surprisingly comfortable – even though the sheets were the wrong size. Lighting is poor in the room and the TV is very small. I did like having a window at the back that we could open to get fresh air.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank FrugalDreamer
Reviewed May 22, 2008

When in San Diego we almost always stay at the Kings Inn. It is not fancy by any means. But it has everything we require - a nice pool/hot tub, room for dad and teen age son, and restaurants nearby/on location.

We booked it through their website and got the rooms for less the $90 per night. While we were walking to our room, a young couple stopped us to ask if we were staying here and what the rooms were like. They had reservations up the street and the room was so small they could touch two oppossing walls at the same time. After showing them our room, the decided to stay there and told us they were paying $129 per night. It pays to book ahead.

We ate at the Waffle House every morning before going to SeaWorld or Wild Kingdom Park. Food is good and basic.

Overall it is a nice hotel. But if you prefer something along the lines of a Hilton or Embassy Suites, this is not your hotel. It is a family friendlt place.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Booked 6 nights @ this hotel for vacation. We chose this hotel because the user reviews were good, and it was quite cheap.

Upon arrival, there was no parking; I had to park on the other side of the hotel, far from the room. The lobby was dark and dreary, however the front desk employee was very friendly.

When we got to the room I was more than disappointed. The room was dark, smelled musty, and was incredibly small. Everything looked old, and not very well cleaned.

The carpet was dark and not clean, the closet shelf had paint peeling, and the shower still had hair in it.... gross.

The sink had almost no room to put our toiletries, and the bathroom was so small that i had to step into the tub so I could shut the door behind me.

Even the TV was tiny, looked like a 13" or so.. To get an iron & hairdryer I had to go to the front desk - Looked like these items have been through a couple wars.

We really didn't feel comfortable staying in those beds after looking over the rest of the room -- but it was late so we got some sleep, on top of the covers.

The next morning I immediately went online and found a different hotel, I drove down to the Ramada Plaza (only 1/4 mile down the road) and they let me view the rooms before making the reservation. We checked out of the Kings Inn and called Orbitz for a refund. The rest of the stay @ Ramada Plaza was very nice, and very affordable.

The one highlight is the front desk staff, they were always very polite, and in the morning when I checked out she was apologetic. If only the hotel matched the staff, that place would do alright.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank bostonSkT
Reviewed May 19, 2008

There is BLACK MOLD for sure even thou it's not visible, may be in carpet or ventilation system. Since I am very sensitive to it, my asthma attack started in 10 min after I entered the room. We had to move out immediately. My husband , who is in good health, was coughing for a few hours even after we moved out. We checked another room, but the smell was the same throughout the motel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2008

We stayed at this hotel the night of March 7th and our room was clean and basic, I had requested late check-in, king size bed, non-smoking.

Room rating: The room was clean, however, the bathroom was strangely small. I paid for a king sized bed and got a room with two queens. Despite the location of our room (right over the driveway, overlooking the freeway), it was relatively quiet and we were able to get a good night's sleep. I should also say, I was thankful for the room being non-smoking!

Staff rating: When I asked the chick who checked us in about not having a king-sized bed in the room, she informed me that "when you book online, you get what we have left." ummm, hmmm, okay, weird. Especially since my confirmation specifically said "King sized bed". Of course, it also says in small writing "we'll forward your requests to the property, but there's no guarantee the request will be honored." Nice. But it's the first time my request hasn't been honored. I always request king sized beds, because my husband is 6'6" and I am 5'11".

Here was another odd thing, when I was checking in, I went outside to get the license plate number for our car and I couldn't get back into the office because they had locked the door since it was after 11 PM. The chick who was helping me wasn't really paying attention, so there I stood, knocking on the door, trying to get back in to complete the check-in process. It just seemed to me that they could have either waited until everyone who was checking in were done or have the person who locked the door stand at the door until everyone was done. Plus, the chick who was checking me in was all pissy because whoever was supposed to be coming on shift was somewhere else taking a personal call on her cell phone. Wasn't my issue, so don't take it out on me!

Amenities: When we left in the morning, the pool looked lovely and I almost wished that we were staying there for the day. There was a little area underneath the stairs that looked like a nice place to gather for conversation or relaxing out of the sun.

Overall: This hotel was... okay, but odd. I don't know. I mean, I guess I'd stay there again, the price was right, but it was kind of a weird experience.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed May 6, 2008

This hotel is a gem. The room was clean and more than adequate for what we needed. The bathroom, tho teeny, was functional and clean (and its a bathroom, what more do you really want!!!!!). Hot water on demand and a shower.....tho if your tall the shower could prove interesting lol

The pool was warm and clean, lots of fun and a spa pool as well tho the water is very warm so avoid if you get sunburnt (as I did and found out!).

The staff on the front desk were great (except a grumpy blonde woman, who seemed like everything to her was too much effort). The rest of the staff were great and nothing was too much trouble. The manager was a lovely man who seems to greet everyone with a great big beaming smile.

The restaurants, Waffle Spot and Amigo Spot, good standard of food but a little bit pricey, but that seems standard in San Diego is pricey food. For fast food places, go somewhere else as the likes of McD's are virtually non existant in SD, I managed to go 6 days before spottiing a McD's. There is a Subway but its a short bus and trolley ride away (the stop is Morena/Linda Vista)

There is a bus stop right outside the hotel but beware on saturdays and sundays its an hourly service (gets to the hotel at approx 20 past the hour) weekdays the service is every 30 minutes, 20 after and 50 after the hour....tho it goes to hourly after 7pm. The trolley is quick and efficient and with the bus and trolley you can be at Old Town transit station in as little as 15 minutes (for more buses and other trolley lines as well as Old Town State park)

Old Town state park is great, loads of cool little shops for mexican style souveniers and good food to be found there as well. Shop around for boat and city tours, though the visitors centre (5 mins from USS Midway) sell discounted tickets for tours and also Zoo and Seaworld. Speak to the front desk as they are very good at booking attraction tickets on your behalf.

Overall a great hotel which I would stay at again in a heartbeat and a great city which I have EVERY intention of revisiting as soon as I am able.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple