“Great experience”

Kings Inn San Diego
Ranked #26 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Have just spent 4 days at Kings Inn whilst visiting San Diego and really enjoyed our stay. Ok it's not the Bellagio but it is very clean, comfortable, has nice swimming poo/jacuzzi area and 2 terrific restaurants. We had a lovely meal in the Amigo spot and 3 fantastic breakfasts in the Waffle Spot. The hotel is centrally located and even although we did not have a car we managed to get about all of San Diego pretty easily using the transit system. However the best thing about Kings Inn is its friendly and helpful staff. All of them were terrific and we would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone. As big Arnie sats "I'll be back".

Room Tip: Our room wasn't chosen by us but was fine.?
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

We are so glad to know how much you enjoyed your stay at Kings Inn during your visit to San Diego. We appreciate your compliments to both our restaurants and all our staff. We are glad you were not intimidated by San Diego's public transit system and that you were able to navigate easily to and from our centralized location. We look forward to your return and wish you safe travels until then.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,354)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I travel alot. So to find price that is equals hotel is sometime hard to find. Low price hotels means bad hotel.
They we're pleasant on my arrival. I was Three hours early. They took me in. And after a long day of traveing. you do not want to wait for your room,
Good job

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for both your reviews, here and on yelp. We are glad that you were pleased by our hotel and the service you received. We definitely try to accommodate check-ins before our 4pm guaranteed check-in time whenever possible and do so without an additional fee after 1pm. We are glad that this convenience was a highlight of your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Kings Inn hotel is located in an area called hotel circle. There are numerous hotels to be found there. This hotel is a mid-century architecutal style property. It's exterior is maintained well enough, however it could use a good freshening up.
The price for 1 night was reasonable. I feel a fair price range should be $62-$82 for what this property offers. I don't think I would pay more.
The rooms are very clean and have very comfortable beds, however, the decor is unattractive.
The property offers a good size kidney shaped pool and a nice spa.
Be aware that there is adjacent freeway noise and many tour buses accomodating guest at the hotel over the weekends.
The hotel offers 2 restaurants, the Waffle Spot and the Amigo Spot. Very good places to eat breakfast or Mexican food. The hotel will give you coupons for percentages off your meal.
I was dissappointed with the check in policy. I had arrived early and thought I'd chance getting an early check-in. The Hotel's policy is that check-in is at 4PM, (which is almost evening) and with any earlier check-in they will charge $10. This is the first time I've run across this type of fee and I wasn't a fan. I didn't pay it.

Room Tip: With the tour buses arriving in the evening, be prepared for noisy guests using the pool facility an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Kings Inn after your recent stay and for also posting pictures of our property. For us this is important because your pictures reflect the identical amenities and accommodations we promote on our website.

We are glad that you appreciated our hotel's mid century design but understand if the floral drapes and cherry wood furniture were not to your taste. We are still very proud of what we offer our guests which only continues to improve in our ongoing upgrades and renovations. Our goal is to have new furnishings and drapes by next summer as well as other timely updates to the facade and grounds. However, we chose first to invest in mattresses, double paned windows, LCD TVs and bathroom and lighting upgrades that have a more direct impact on comfort and decided the more visual improvements are a secondary priority at this time.

Thank you for trying and recommending both our restaurants. We are proud of the food and service they provide and are glad you enjoyed them.

We apologize that you did not care to take advantage of our early check-in upgrade. It is in place because we typically have a limited amount of clean and available rooms before four pm. We do offer complimentary early check-in at 3pm as long as there are rooms available.
This policy allows our housekeeping the appropriate time to properly clean and maintain rooms which you recognized in your comments on cleanliness.

Ultimately, we appreciate your perspective and want you to know that we are in perpetual growth mode so your input does have an impact. Thank you for choosing our hotel. We hope you will stay again and see first hand the ongoing improvements as the year progresses.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just have to say nicest most professional staff I've seen in a long time. They were great to me and my boys and each other. Location was covenient and close to all our tourist spots and also to local mall. It was my pleasure to stay there. Attitude and drama free, thank you

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to mention our service team. We are so glad you and your sons enjoyed your visit to San Diego and your stay at Kings Inn. Mesa isn't too far away and it is about to get really, really hot there. So we hope to see you again soon. Feel free to contact our staff directly to arrange your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our 2 night stay was fairly pleasant, the room was clean and we slept well as our room did not face the main road. The bed was comfortable and there was ample space for our luggage. But we were very surprised our room didn't come with a bar fridge (it was probably in the fine print). We had to pay extra for it! But my main complaint was that the staff were not the most helpful in helping us source good places to eat besides the hotel restaurant (they weren't even able to tell us that Hillcrest restaurants are open quite late) and were quite content to let us go without dinner, so we had to do a bit of googling on our own. Other than that, check in and out was fairly smooth, and they were able to store our luggage for us as we arrived before check in time. At $120.23 for two nights, I was fairly satisfied.

Room Tip: Best to choose one that doesn't face the road or the carpark. The motel is directly off a busy f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Kings Inn and in San Diego. Please accept our apologies for any lapse in guest service at our desk. This is not typical of our agents and our Desk Manager is already looking at ways to boost their concierge knowledge. Our conclusion is that possibly one of our new trainees was not fully equipped to assist you and we will be emphasizing this service aspect as their training continues.

Regarding the refrigerator fee, we apologize if you found this an inconvenience. Kings Inn features many complimentary amenities for our guests including WiFi, Local Telephone Service, and Parking. As our renovations continue, our goal is to have mini fridges in all rooms one day. Until then, with our limited supply we will continue to assess a $5 daily rental fee to them which is a minor expense on top of our modest rates.

We appreciate you sharing your stay with our potential guests and hope your kind words will encourage more of our Aussie visitors to book at Kings Inn.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked the King's Inn through bookit.com and were very happy with the whole thing. The motel/inn (not a resort/hotel) is very nice, clean and popular (as it was full). There is a pool, jacuzzi, coffee shop and restaurant/bar. Free parking, free coffee, free internet and a great price..... to top it all off, Kenyetta at the front desk is a very gracious manager and helped make our quick stay easy and nice. If that wasn't enough, it is very close to "old town", "the gaslamp" and the zoo, all of which we enjoyed during our "Cinco de Mayo" staycation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marc L

Thank you for choosing Kings Inn for your Cinco de Mayo "Staycation"! We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and all it has to offer in both onsite conveniences and comforts and our location. We are also happy that Kenyetta was a great resource for you. We hope other locals who have driven past our giant purple crown sign countless times and always wondered what we are like will consider planning their staycations with us, too, thanks to your review.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

For the money this place is hard to beat! I have two cousins who live in San Diego so I travel there often. This is the first time I stayed here and I was very impressed. I figured this would be some cheap hotel that I would tolerate to save a few bucks, but it ended up being a nice place to stay that is a steal! I requested an upstairs king room and they upgraded me to a large king suite at no charge. I didn't even ask for this but it was giving to me upon arrival. The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean. The room I had was huge with a couch and two chairs to go along with the king bed, and there was still plenty of room to put more furniture even though it was not needed. The A/C works well and is quiet enough to sleep with it on. The only reason this is not a perfect rating from me is the bed. It was very hard and my sleep was a bit restless because of it. Considering how much money I saved over the 3 nights I was there, it was worth it. However, I could not sleep a full week on this bed. The Kings Inn also has free parking which is near impossible to find in any big city. I have a large truck and there was plenty of non-compact parking spots to choose from. I would definitely stay here again for a quick trip to San Diego, but if I was doing a long trip, the hard bed may make me look at other places.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anton D
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

We are glad to know that on most counts, we exceeded your expectations. We apologize for any lack of comfort you experienced with the mattresses in your room. Had we known during your stay our staff would have definitely made an effort to improve upon this. We hope you will consider staying again, even if your plans are for longer than a few days. We can always make arrangements based on your specific needs when you contact us directly to make reservations that will help in your sleep comfort. Thank you for your review.