“Very Average and No Frills Accomodation”

Kings Inn San Diego
Ranked #24 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Kings Inn hotel is located in an area called hotel circle. There are numerous hotels to be found there. This hotel is a mid-century architecutal style property. It's exterior is maintained well enough, however it could use a good freshening up.
The price for 1 night was reasonable. I feel a fair price range should be $62-$82 for what this property offers. I don't think I would pay more.
The rooms are very clean and have very comfortable beds, however, the decor is unattractive.
The property offers a good size kidney shaped pool and a nice spa.
Be aware that there is adjacent freeway noise and many tour buses accomodating guest at the hotel over the weekends.
The hotel offers 2 restaurants, the Waffle Spot and the Amigo Spot. Very good places to eat breakfast or Mexican food. The hotel will give you coupons for percentages off your meal.
I was dissappointed with the check in policy. I had arrived early and thought I'd chance getting an early check-in. The Hotel's policy is that check-in is at 4PM, (which is almost evening) and with any earlier check-in they will charge $10. This is the first time I've run across this type of fee and I wasn't a fan. I didn't pay it.

Room Tip: With the tour buses arriving in the evening, be prepared for noisy guests using the pool facility an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Kings Inn after your recent stay and for also posting pictures of our property. For us this is important because your pictures reflect the identical amenities and accommodations we promote on our website.

We are glad that you appreciated our hotel's mid century design but understand if the floral drapes and cherry wood furniture were not to your taste. We are still very proud of what we offer our guests which only continues to improve in our ongoing upgrades and renovations. Our goal is to have new furnishings and drapes by next summer as well as other timely updates to the facade and grounds. However, we chose first to invest in mattresses, double paned windows, LCD TVs and bathroom and lighting upgrades that have a more direct impact on comfort and decided the more visual improvements are a secondary priority at this time.

Thank you for trying and recommending both our restaurants. We are proud of the food and service they provide and are glad you enjoyed them.

We apologize that you did not care to take advantage of our early check-in upgrade. It is in place because we typically have a limited amount of clean and available rooms before four pm. We do offer complimentary early check-in at 3pm as long as there are rooms available.
This policy allows our housekeeping the appropriate time to properly clean and maintain rooms which you recognized in your comments on cleanliness.

Ultimately, we appreciate your perspective and want you to know that we are in perpetual growth mode so your input does have an impact. Thank you for choosing our hotel. We hope you will stay again and see first hand the ongoing improvements as the year progresses.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just have to say nicest most professional staff I've seen in a long time. They were great to me and my boys and each other. Location was covenient and close to all our tourist spots and also to local mall. It was my pleasure to stay there. Attitude and drama free, thank you

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to mention our service team. We are so glad you and your sons enjoyed your visit to San Diego and your stay at Kings Inn. Mesa isn't too far away and it is about to get really, really hot there. So we hope to see you again soon. Feel free to contact our staff directly to arrange your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our 2 night stay was fairly pleasant, the room was clean and we slept well as our room did not face the main road. The bed was comfortable and there was ample space for our luggage. But we were very surprised our room didn't come with a bar fridge (it was probably in the fine print). We had to pay extra for it! But my main complaint was that the staff were not the most helpful in helping us source good places to eat besides the hotel restaurant (they weren't even able to tell us that Hillcrest restaurants are open quite late) and were quite content to let us go without dinner, so we had to do a bit of googling on our own. Other than that, check in and out was fairly smooth, and they were able to store our luggage for us as we arrived before check in time. At $120.23 for two nights, I was fairly satisfied.

Room Tip: Best to choose one that doesn't face the road or the carpark. The motel is directly off a busy f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Kings Inn and in San Diego. Please accept our apologies for any lapse in guest service at our desk. This is not typical of our agents and our Desk Manager is already looking at ways to boost their concierge knowledge. Our conclusion is that possibly one of our new trainees was not fully equipped to assist you and we will be emphasizing this service aspect as their training continues.

Regarding the refrigerator fee, we apologize if you found this an inconvenience. Kings Inn features many complimentary amenities for our guests including WiFi, Local Telephone Service, and Parking. As our renovations continue, our goal is to have mini fridges in all rooms one day. Until then, with our limited supply we will continue to assess a $5 daily rental fee to them which is a minor expense on top of our modest rates.

We appreciate you sharing your stay with our potential guests and hope your kind words will encourage more of our Aussie visitors to book at Kings Inn.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked the King's Inn through bookit.com and were very happy with the whole thing. The motel/inn (not a resort/hotel) is very nice, clean and popular (as it was full). There is a pool, jacuzzi, coffee shop and restaurant/bar. Free parking, free coffee, free internet and a great price..... to top it all off, Kenyetta at the front desk is a very gracious manager and helped make our quick stay easy and nice. If that wasn't enough, it is very close to "old town", "the gaslamp" and the zoo, all of which we enjoyed during our "Cinco de Mayo" staycation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marc L

Thank you for choosing Kings Inn for your Cinco de Mayo "Staycation"! We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and all it has to offer in both onsite conveniences and comforts and our location. We are also happy that Kenyetta was a great resource for you. We hope other locals who have driven past our giant purple crown sign countless times and always wondered what we are like will consider planning their staycations with us, too, thanks to your review.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

For the money this place is hard to beat! I have two cousins who live in San Diego so I travel there often. This is the first time I stayed here and I was very impressed. I figured this would be some cheap hotel that I would tolerate to save a few bucks, but it ended up being a nice place to stay that is a steal! I requested an upstairs king room and they upgraded me to a large king suite at no charge. I didn't even ask for this but it was giving to me upon arrival. The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean. The room I had was huge with a couch and two chairs to go along with the king bed, and there was still plenty of room to put more furniture even though it was not needed. The A/C works well and is quiet enough to sleep with it on. The only reason this is not a perfect rating from me is the bed. It was very hard and my sleep was a bit restless because of it. Considering how much money I saved over the 3 nights I was there, it was worth it. However, I could not sleep a full week on this bed. The Kings Inn also has free parking which is near impossible to find in any big city. I have a large truck and there was plenty of non-compact parking spots to choose from. I would definitely stay here again for a quick trip to San Diego, but if I was doing a long trip, the hard bed may make me look at other places.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anton D
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

We are glad to know that on most counts, we exceeded your expectations. We apologize for any lack of comfort you experienced with the mattresses in your room. Had we known during your stay our staff would have definitely made an effort to improve upon this. We hope you will consider staying again, even if your plans are for longer than a few days. We can always make arrangements based on your specific needs when you contact us directly to make reservations that will help in your sleep comfort. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I chose this place due to its reasonable price and had a pleasant surprise. The room was clean, spacious and quiet (I was first worried about noise, since my room looked at the pool area, but didn't have any problems), The staff at the reception and at the waffle restaurant were pleasant and helpful. There was sufficient parking and the wifi was working quite well. I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

We like knowing that your comfort at Kings Inn surpassed that value you found in choosing our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your stay. Your review is a positive reflection on our continuing upgrades and improvements as we just replaced windows poolside with double-paned units to reduce noise and to increase energy efficiency. We are also happy that our Free WiFi met your needs and that you enjoyed our restaurants. We hope that your review will encourage more of our international visitors to stay at Kings Inn.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and enjoyed each stay, from its friendly hotel staff to its great breakfast restaurant the Waffle Spot. The rooms are pretty much no frills but the beds are comfortable, there is free internet, and its very clean. The location is one of the best, it is so close to many San Diego attractions and shopping. You are near two different major shopping malls and Old Town is only minutes away making it a good value for your money. The pool at the hotel is larger than some of the brand name hotels making it great for families traveling with children. There is also a jacuzzi next to the pool. Another nice thing about this hotel is that there is a lot of free parking available which is rare in the hotel circle area. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. San Diego and Hotel Circle provide a lot of options for our out of town visitors and we appreciate you for staying with us each time you are in town. We are glad that you find value and comfort in each stay and look forward to your next visit.