“Good value just outside the city center”

Kings Inn San Diego
Ranked #32 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Good value just outside the city center”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Have stayed here twice and been happy both times.

Pros:
Clean large rooms
Nice pool area with hottub
Low rates (last time we paid 70 $/night)
Easy acess to the city with the freeway (10 min)
Free parking
Café on the hotel good for a fast morning coffe

Cons:
Paperthin walls (you will here footsteps and frisky neighbours.......)
Old dated furniture
Not walking distance to anything

Stay at this place if you want a cheap and good value hotel somewhat close to the city and dont need to have a luxury resort. Staff is friendly and its very close to the San Diego Zoo and Sea World. As this is a 15-20 $ cab ride from the city/gaslamp quarters i would not choose this hotel if the main purpose for the trip is partying. Would also say its family friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FoodVagabond
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is helpful to learn your perspective as an international traveler. We are happy that we met most of your needs during your recent visit. Fortunately, in our ongoing renovations we are addressing many of the "cons" you listed. As far as our walkability, we are situated in a district that was planned just with hotels in mind, but most of our guests find the combined value in the affordability of our rates and free parking to justify a nominal cab fee. And for the more adventurous, the public transit picks up and drops off directly in front of our hotel. We wish you a safe journey home and hope to see you again in your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel was dark and in need of a serious update. There are no microwaves, fridges or coffee makers in the standard rooms. (the ice bucket doesn't even come with a liner). On our first night we noticed the sheets had a shoe print of dirt on them. Obviously the linens had not been changed after the last guest. We "addicentely" spilt on our sheets to ensure we would get fresh sheets the next day. We also found hair in the bathtub upon arrival. The walls are thin, and other guests were noisy. We had happy hour at the Mexican restaurant onsite to watch the NFL playoff game. The service and food were both pretty terrible. Positives: location and front desk staff. I would not stay here again. (We booked through Priceline so we weren't able to select our hotel). Stay down the street at Days Hotel for about $10 more a night or the Best Western for $15. This place is gross.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
It is always our goal at Kings Inn that you leave feeling your needs were met and with an overall sense of satisfaction with your stay. We apologize that your experience fell short of this. All department managers are aware of your comments have are addressing challenges as needed.

We are disappointed that none of your concerns were brought to our attention during your stay. Our staff truly takes ownership to see them resolved when given the opportunity. Ultimately, we understand that as with any hotel, not everyone will have the same experience and appreciate your comments so that we may learn from them for our future guests.
California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family has been staying here for years and we have always been happy with our stays. The staff is always friendly(especially Veronica), and the rooms clean. My kids love the pool and restaurants onsite and I love the margaritas at the Amigo Spot. Overall a perfect place to stay and easy on the wallet.

Room Tip: Don't miss out on the Amigo Spot restaurant. As good if not better than any in Old Town.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Kings Inn. We are happy to know that you are a returning guest to Kings Inn. And we always enjoy hearing when one of our friendly staff stands out for his or her service. We will make sure to share your compliments with Veronica and our Amigo Spot and we look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

My wife and myself took a week off to vacation in San Diego, it's been over six years scents we have had one. My back ground is a maintenance supervisor for a hotel chain that has over 1000 Properties in the United States also over seas and in Mexico.
When I check in to a hotel all I'm looking for is a clean room and in good maintenance condition. Between my wife and I, we have over 43 years in the Industry. The hotel has a great lobby and Restaurant looking area. We check in and went to our pet room #123, away from the main area of the hotel and pool areas. We had cover parking, that was nice. we open the door to our room and was Surprise, because it open up in to the bathroom and closet area. I mean in the bathroom. The room look clean at first, bed Linings were out of date and so was the drapes. The carpets were also dated, and they were in need of cleaning a year ago. When my wife and I took our shoes off for the evening and walk around in our socks they were black from one trip to the bath area and back to the bedroom area. That morning we took our Coupons for Breakfast and went to the Restaurant to eat. There were three staff members on the small but nice looking Restaurant. We were seated and handed our menus and given water. It took over 15 min's for someone to take our order. When we got our order, my wife's had a long black hair in it, I ask the server to take it back and please bring a new complete plant and food. I could see that she was very upset. The cook was also. Just a note he had short gray hair so it wasn't his. She was back in less than two min's with the order. This is funny because the first time the order was place it took over 20 min's to get it. When we went to pay the bill the manager was at the check out and took our Coupons and cash to pay the bill. When she ask how was everything I told her what happen and she Laugh at me. I ask if she heard what I said? and she said yes. I'm not thinking she did heard me right so I told her again. This time she heard me, and she said she was very sorry. She did give us a small discount. But we didn't eat there at anytime during the rest of our stay. At check out I paid for my pet a Extra $20 per night Extra $20 per night. There was another guest there trying to talk to the Night auditor at the same time She was making change for me. I didn't check it so it my Fault. But when I got to Yuma,AZ, I call the front dest and talk to them. I told them what happen and ask them to count the cash box. I was six dollars short. Not much but after paying $20.00 per night for a pet that just rise the pice of it. They call me back and said they were only $3.00 over in the box and I could come by and pick it up. I told them I was now in Yuma Arizona and ask them to add it to my Debit card, they said sure. That was Dec.7th. They will not return any phone calls. I know it's only three dollars, but if your short $3.00 they won't let you check in. Will they?
Clyde Drummond
Arizona

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michaelinflag
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
We are truly disappointed to learn we failed you and your wife on so many levels during your stay at Kings Inn. Your review is taken quite seriously and all Managers are involved in addressing the issues you experienced. Please accept our apologies.

We appreciate your insider's perspective and are definitely open to your criticism. One thing we are happy to announce is that the first of our four pet friendly rooms has just been tiled. Since we started accepting pets last summer, this has been our intention. Hopefully, within the next month, all will have tiled floors. One side note: we do only have a few rooms that have the bathroom/ closet area at the entrance. We designated room 123 as a pet friendly room specifically for this reason because the room is quieter and typically more calming for dogs while their owners are out. The room diagram is different, but we have many guests who prefer the seclusive nature it provides.

Kings Inn has seen many renovations and improvements over 2012 and they will continue in 2013. As our many loyal guests can attest, we are committed to improving the quality comfort of our rooms and the service we provide.
San Diego
Reviewed December 25, 2012

they surprised us with a $25 deposit that we were not expecting, so that pissed my boyfriend off a little bit since we had called and asked all of those questions they dont stock the rooms with anything either

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give a brief review of your recent stay at Kings Inn. We apologize for any sense of miscommunication you perceived in booking your room. We immediately went to our hotel's listing on easytobook.com and found the $25 deposit disclaimer listed under "Notifications and Fees".

As with nearly any hotel, our policy has always been to obtain an additional deposit on credit or debit card to act as a line of credit for our guests. This allows you to make room charges in our restaurants and long distance phone calls but also serves as a security deposit for loss or damages to the room, including smoking infractions as all our guest rooms are nonsmoking.

In January 2013, we will be increasing the required deposit to $50 per stay. As with the current $25 deposit, it is fully refundable at the end of your stay if there are no additional charges to apply. It typically reconciles back to your available funds on your account within 3-5 business days.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The room was clean and simple. The bed was a bit creaky with a weird mini curtain overhead but it does not really bother us. Maybe it is the old design. There were 3 of us sharing the room so 2 of us had to share one of the bed. It was comfortable if not for the creaky sound whenever I turn in bed. I was afraid I would wake the other person up. Other than that, i did not hear any noise from the traffic along the highway.

The hotel also comes with an outdoor pool and jacuzzi but we were too tired to enjoy it.The hotel staff were really nice, and when we inquire about the purchase of tickets to Seaworld and other places, the lady said they had ran out of tickets but was nice enough to gave us a coupon so that we can get dollars off the tickets! The staff were also smiley and polite to us.

The waffle place is another great place for breakfast. The walls were lined with pictures of the "waffle king" colored and decorated by patrons who were full of creativity. Breakfast was nice, a very family oriented place. They even had coffee dispenser next to the reception, so you can grab hot coffee anytime you want.

It is also very near to Old town, just one straight road down by driving.

Overall, for the amount we paid..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for sharing your stay at Kings Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and the Waffle Spot. We apologize about the creaky bed and wished we had known about it during your stay. We are sure it is any easy adjustment.

We want to thank you for posting pictures of your room and the hotel as well. As much as we love our professional photos, we want our potential guests to see our hotel through your eyes as well. After looking at your pics, we hope they will have that much more confidence in reserving at Kings Inn.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed here for a night and was looking for the most reasonable hotel I could find in the area. The hotel appears old, but the room was perfectly fine. The bathroom was pretty small and looked somewhat grungy, but I expected that. We were informed that when we arrived, it was happy hour in the Mexican restaurant attached, so we went to check it out. Friendly service, decent food, somewhat reasonable (but we wished we would have went elsewhere). I think the room could have been cheaper, but it was just fine. Decent location- about 3 miles away from the airport. You'll still have to drive to anywhere in the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at Kings Inn. We appreciate that you found value in your stay and are happy to see that you gave our staff high marks for their service. There are many places to stay in Hotel Circle of San Diego. Thank you for choosing Kings Inn.