“room for improvement”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #31 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 27, 2007

We stayed at the manchester grand hyatt for a conference, and while it was adequate, there was considerable room for improvement. Small touches, such as turn-down service, robes, or plenty of towels, were missing. The restaurants in the hotel were only fair in the quality of food - you are better off going to many of the excellent restaurants in the neighborhood. Trying to get a cup of coffee on Friday morning, I was met by a surly barman who was offended that I did not have change for a $20. His coffee was bad, too. Ever afterwards, I want across the street to Starbucks.

The spa was quite nice, with a beautiful sauna and steam. The bellmen were all helpful. This is no luxury hotel, but it could be much better with small changes.

2  Thank zeusLouisville
Write a ReviewReviews (7,928)

Reviewed March 22, 2007

Viewed from the outside and from its magnificent Las Vegasesque lobby the Manchester Grand Hyatt definitely is 4-star. Step into the elevator, ascend to your room and you've moved to the Best Western. The only issue: You're paying Grand Hyatt rates.
We paid a "convention rate" of $270 a night for a room that on a good night I could have booked elsewhere for $99. That rate didn't include nearly $30 a night in taxes and $20 nightly fee for self parking.
You enter the elevator in a lobby awash in marble and brass fixtures with vaulted ceiling 20 feet above your head.
You exit the elevator in a low-ceiling lobby on your floor trimmed with utilitarian vinyl wallpaper guarded by plastic corner protectors. Turn into the hallway and witness an endless row of flourescent overhead fixtures bright enough to grow grass indoors. The ambiance here is "parking lot security" not "luxury hotel."
Enter the room through the plain painted metal door. The room is moderately large as is the bath. But the furnishings and the paintings say "Levitz."
Our room on the 23rd floor offered an expansive view of San Diego Harbor, but the window appeared to have last been washed outside in 2004.
The bath has a marble countertop, but the tile on the floor and in the shower is Home Depot, $1.59-a-square beige and white.
We remarked to the concierge that we were disappointed in our bed, and the bed was changed the next day to a much better setup with a fluffy comforter and multiple pillows instead of the three we were furnished on the king-sized bed the day we arrived.
The room was clean, and the staff was helpful, but during our 4-day stay, the toiletries were not renewed once and we ran out of shampoo on the last day.
Reading back on this, I have to kick myself for being such a whiner, but when the final bill for the 4-day stay reached nearly $1,700 (including a couple of room service meals) I think I'm entitled to a little bit of carping if only to warn meeting planners not to consider only the great meeting facilities but also the price-value equation for the people who come to your convention.

John Gillie
Kent, WA

7  Thank jlg12
Reviewed March 14, 2007

The Grand Hyatt has a really impressive lobby but the rooms should not be considered high-end. The staff was courteous and accommodating, and the location is great. I booked this through Priceline for $150 a night. I would have definitely been a little upset if I had paid full price. It's worth staying here when you get the rooms at a discount.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ghhhreat
Reviewed March 9, 2007

My strongest impression of the hotel is how overpriced the rooms are. The special group rate for my conference was $235/night which was slightly cheaper than the $259/night listed on the website. After reading other reviews of the hotel, I used priceline to book the room and paid only $95/night! I am shocked at the price difference. The hotel is nice, but the rooms are way too small and plain to justify the steep price.

I was impressed with the gym and pool area. The staff member in the gym was very polite. The concierge was also very nice and gave me a great recommendation for a casual lunch nearby. The bartenders at the Grand Lobby bar were sweet and attentive. The front desk staff were also great.

I was disappointed there wasn't a coffee maker in the room which is always included at other hotels. Also, Hyatt has the WORST SMELLING tolietries in the entire industry. At least a dozen other people at my conference commented at how disgusting the smell was. I really hope they use something different in the future. Seriously, any drug store shampoo, conditioner, soap, and lotion that you bring with you will be much better than the horrible stuff in the room.

2  Thank Courtesy_Flush
Reviewed February 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights 02/17/07, 02/18/07.
We had a reservation for a Queen or King bed.
As we arrived at the hotel at 11 PM we were told that they were really busy, but they still had non-smoking room for us.
The girl at the counter told us that she was going to put us in a room twice the size of a normal room, with a really comfortable pull–up, good size bed.
It was all just a lie as we realized later when we entered our room. Our room was actually not a room at all, but the living room of a suite. They had divided a suite, so that they can offer it as a separate room, when they run out of rooms.
The room was smaller than normal. The bed was a double size, pull-up bed that had to fit 2 people. We were able to hear the conversation in the bedroom of the suite we were in.
My overall impression of the hotel was that is that the staff was unfriendly and trained to mislead the customers instead of apologizing to them when necessary. What room you get is a matter of chance - they probably have some nicer rooms but also rooms like the one we stayed in.
My personal opinion is that a 4 star hotel should not put their customers in a living room of a suite, with a pull up, double, uncomfortable bed. A 4 star hotel should never allow their staff to mislead their customers either, but this is just a personal opinion....

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank BAlex
Reviewed February 6, 2007

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Manchester Hyatt. After entering through the gorgeous lobby, we were greeted by a very friendly staff person. Though we had booked through Priceline for $95, she offered us a non-smoking King overlooking the bay. We didn't even request it! We were not treated any differently as Priceline users.

The room was very nice, with a lovely view of the bay. It wasn't huge, but it was just my husband and me, so there was plenty of space for two. The bed was very comfortable and we had an assortment of pillows to choose from.

My only complaint was that the bathroom shower tile had some mildew on the grout that I was able to remove easily with one swipe of a washcloth (it wasn't permanently discolored). That bothered me because housekeeping should have taken care of it. Otherwise, everything else about our stay was perfect.

Parking was $20 with in/out privileges, so we were able to come and go. Because of other plans, we didn't eat at the Hyatt or use any of the facilities.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rckimmo
Reviewed February 5, 2007

I work for a travel agency so when I travel, i am looking at things that most people do not see.

When I checked into the Hyatt in San Diego, I was impressed with most things.

Valet Service - great! Better to valet than to park yourself. You save less than $5. They bring the car out immediately and are very eager to assist.

Check In - easy process and many people to assist at all times. Be sure to ask for the tower facing the bay - and request for a higher floor - great view.

Bell Staff - very friendly

Room Service - a bit pricey with all the extra taxes and surcharges and more taxes - sometimes can be more than the meal.

Over all a great experience. I recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business