“came home with bed bugs”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #31 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 23, 2010

No way of proving that it came from this hotel, but I am not a regular traveler and the bites showed up about a week after returning from this hotel. Called hotel security and they said they hadn't had a problem in quite a while, and they would check hotel room...I haven't heard from them since. I wish I had known this before I stayed in this hotel.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank irishgirl71
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2010

Dear IrishGirl71,
At the Manchester Grand Hyatt, we take substantial measures to make sure all of our rooms are clean and free of "bed bugs", not only with deep cleaning and preventative maintenance but with regular training of our room attendants. When we do receive "bed bug" claims, we follow strict protocol for the allegedly effected room. We first take the room and all surrounding rooms out of availability. We then bring in Ecolab, a third party, to test and assess the alleged effected rooms. If the testing brings positive results, Ecolab will treat the room and surrounding rooms. Twenty four to forty eight hours later, the rooms are inspected and a second treatment is administered. Then, twenty four to forty eight hours after the second treatment, the rooms are inspected and a third treatment is administered. The Manchester Grand Hyatt continuously manages these extreme precautionary measures to ensure our facilities are consistently clean and sanitary.

Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (7,924)

Reviewed June 22, 2010

The Manchester Grand Hyatt is probably the biggest hotel in San Diego. It consists of two interconnected towers. Due to the huge size of the hotel, the atmosphere is a little bit anonymous.

I had room with a very beautiful view of the harbour bridge and the bay. My room had a decent size and the bed was very comfortable.

The lobby area is quite impressive due to ultra-high ceilings (which is not unusual for Hyatt hotels). There is a bar on one of the upper floors that offers a great view of San Diego and the Bay/Harbour. There is also a pool area which has a decent size.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I was in San Diego for a business convention and i stayed at the Manchester Grand Hotel and i had a wonderful stay. Upon arrival, i was exhausted so i ordered room service and I had the pleasure of speaking with Earl, Customer Service Supervisor. Earl was extremely accomodating, i could not have asked for better. Earl even delivered the food himself! Everyone was very very friendly and helpful. When i am in San Diego, i will be staying at the Manchester Grand again!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank laagent
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2010

Dear Juan1272,
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about us here on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your business trip! Earl is a great associate and team member and I will be happy to pass along your nice comments to him.
We hope business (or maybe even a well-deserved vacation) takes you back out to San Diego to see us again soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2010

My husband and I had a commitment downtown San Diego (we are locals.)
We got a AAA discount included a breakfast buffet. for a very reasonable price. They have this Internet program, where they offer upgrades at reasonable prices,so we got a huge suite (1000 sq.ft) It was wonderful. Our kids and grand kids joined us for a room service meal and some kid activities offered at the Hyatt. The Room Service food not the best,but had great service by the hotel personal. Clean Rooms. Wasn't quiet in the hallways, but then again,it's Saturday night (3am) and guests can be rude! Only stayed one night. Has a wonderful B. Buffet at one of the Hotel restaurants. while checking out,front desk informed us of a local rate. So next time we will request that while making a reservation!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear SoCalSue,
Thank you for taking the time to review us here on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you and your grandchildren had a great time at the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego. We aim to offer accommodations geared towards children and families throughout the summer, so we are happy to hear you were able to take part in these activities. Hope you'll be back to visit us soon and to take advantage of the local rate! :)

Reviewed June 16, 2010

I stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego for a nursing conference. The entrance, bar, restaurant and shops on the main level are truly beautiful!!! The rooms....not so much! This is one of the first hotels placed on directly on the San Diego Bay many years ago so I guess it's somewhat understandable that the rooms are dated. The furniture was somewhat older and there was a big tube TV in the dated armoire. For $250 a night, I expected a little more. However, the view of the bay was AMAZING!!!!! I could see Seaport Village, several restaurants, the Navy ships and even the bridge to Coronado Island! Who could ask for more!?! It truly made up for the older room. The windows open and the breeze coming off the water was awesome!!!

The bar poured nice strong drinks. The sports bar/restaurant food was ok....nothing to write home about. I did not go to the pool, or the other restaurants. There is a free in-room safe and a refrigerator.

The other things I did not like: NO free wifi...even in the main areas you had to pay!; $24.00 a day for parking....I guess that's the norm in a convention center area but sheesh! LOL! You also had to pay a daily fee for the fitness center (I believe it was $15.00) but I walked so much back and forth to the convention center and in Seaport Village, I didn't need to workout.

Otherwise, this Hyatt is beautiful, the staff was great and other than the dated rooms it was an overall good experience!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2010

First off...loved the hotel. As soon as you arrive you feel like you made the right choice. A little on the pricey side when ii came to spending within the hotel but San Diego IS expensive.

Location:
Blocks away from the GasLamp Quarter, Petco Park, Water Taxi to Coronado, and the Seaport Village is in the Hyatt's backyard. Wonderful location

Service:
Great service. I brought my golf clubs and they stored them for me for 5 days until I actually used them at no charge. Bellmen and concierge were extremely helpful.

Room:
Nothing magnificent. Stayed in the older tower overlooking the main pool and San Diego Bay. Refrige in the room helpful as drinks get expensive. Buy beer / wine outside and store in fridge.

Spa was awesome. We received 50% off of couple massage because the Padres hit a grand slam at the game we went to. 10% for having ticket, 30% for Padres Victory, 50% for grand slam or walk off HR. Thanks Jerry Hairston Jr!!!! Restaurants are pricey. Sally's Sushi and Happy hour were great. Breakfast Buffet at Lael's way over priced $25 per person. Parking overpriced.. $24 a night . Way to much for hotel guests.

Overall I was extremely pleased with my choice of hotels. I would recommend it if you saved a little to splurge on yourself.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Nice place, room was nice and the place was clean. The problem was the parking, we came back on a Sat. night (around 10pm) to find the hotel lot was full and there were a bunch of cars sitting waiting for some directions. I understood the $24 fee so I'm not upset with that but NOT to have enough parking for hotel guest is a serious issue for me. There were no conventions running this weekend (Memorial day) so how can a hotel of this size be out of parking for it's guest? Seems odd? I like the room and the place was nice but the parking issue would make me wonder if I would stay here again.....

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
KSpitz, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2010

Dear TMas777_8,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are thrilled you enjoyed your room during your stay with us.
We apologize for the difficulties you experienced with parking. Because it was Memorial Day Weekend we had a lot more local and drive-in guests than we normally see with convention guests - this caused the full parking garage. At the time the parking garage was full the parking company who owns the garage was offering valet service for the price of self-parking. There are very few weekends throughout the year where parking is an issue for our guests so again, we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay and look forward to seeing you back in San Diego soon!

Electronic Sales and Marketing Manager