“Only a few disappointments”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #23 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I attended a business conference at the Manchester this past weekend, November 9-12. It was a very large convention, and the very large convention facilities had no difficulty in handling this large group.

I had pre-booked a non-smoking king bed, but was told it was unavailable when I arrived. I could take two single beds or upgrade (for $40) to a "panoramic view" room with a king. I chose the upgrade. It was a corner room, with a view of the bay and of the front of the hotel.

The lobby is very beautiful, and the staff handling check-in was wonderful. (Staff was wonderful throughout my stay.) The room was a bit of a disappointment, as the carpet is getting old and one of three big windows was blocked by a wall. I had visited the Hyatt website right before the trip and was anticipating the new bed, six pillows, and iPod-ready radio-alarm clock... perhaps a flat screen LCD TV. None of these were present in my room.

I ordered room service a few times, which arrived in a timely manner and was appealing. I ordered sausage with my breakfast one morning but got bacon. I called to let Room Service know and they offered to reduce the charge on the tab. When I checked out they had not done that, and no one associated with Room Service has any recollection of that offer. To their credit, they immediately reduced that charge by 25%.

In-room internet was wireless, but required a credit card and could not be billed to the room. I wish all hotels offered free internet connections in every room. Charge for this was $9.95 per day.

The area surrounding the hotel is great, and fun for exploring. I enjoyed visiting the KC Barbeque restaurant and bar directly across from the hotel, the site of filming the "sleazy bar scene" in Top Gun. It's teeny-tiny.

I was on the 17th floor and happy I was not a floor below that. The previous reviews mention noise from the trains and they are LOUD. The trolley trains make a little noise as they come by, but the AMTRAK trains blow their VERY loud horns at each intersection. Because of the convergence of streets right at the hotel, there's at least two intersections the train has to go through right there. Some trains just gave a little blast but some engineers must have enjoyed really leaning on the horn! I will say that I was not disturbed in my sleep, though. Thick curtains? I'd recommend as high a floor as you can get.

And if you do, you'll find that the elevator service was spectacular. I never had to wait long for a ride, despite the large crowd in the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank Rico3201
There are newer reviews for Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Reviewed November 3, 2006

My company had a business conference at the Manchester and I stayed for two nights. About 250 people attended the conference, and the meeting rooms were nicely prepared, and the staff was helpfull. The room were nice, and my room had a nice view of the bay. I would stay here again.

The food prices were high, but there are a lot of dining options in seaport village which is right next to the hotel.

Reviewed October 30, 2006

I stayed here during a convention and found it to be a nice stay. It's a short walk to the convention center and has easy access to restaurant and attractions. The workers could be a tad more helpful, but the service is good. The lobby and facilities are clean and well kept.
The layout of the building is convenient, with half of the elevators being express and dedicated to the top half of each tower. Sure saves a lot of time than waiting through all stops.
Has a great restaurant named Sally's as part of the hotel, which has great food and service.
The room could use new carpeting and a minor facelift, but it was in acceptable condition for a Hyatt. Each of the two towers is tall. I had a great view of Mission Bay.

1  Thank studiorack
Reviewed October 28, 2006

I usually don't like big convention hotels, but the Manchester Grand did a decent job. Nice corner room with water views. Loved that the window opened, hated that it was dirty. Really disliked those noisy middle-of-the-night trains. The coffee bar in the lobby was convenient, and had better food choices than many, but closed at 3 p.m. -- and no signs indicating that! A cup of tea was hard to find in the afternoon. The view from the 40th floor bar was lovely, but the service there was nonexistent: we ended up leaving our table and going to the bar to get a drink. Valets, housekeeping staff and concierges were personable and well informed.

1  Thank MamaFleisch
Reviewed October 28, 2006

We had stayed, only recently, at the Radisson Bayview; for only a little more money, we got in this time into the Manchester Grand Hyatt for something like $250.

What a difference! This was a luxurious hotel with brilliant views. The 40th floor bar was open until 2 a.m. The ambiance was wonderful, and the location terrific.

It's close to downtown, close to the harbor, close to Seaport Village, and pretty easy to access from the freeway. (Straight down Front Street, right on Market.)

Only irritants - a $10 charge for the internet. Started with DSL, then found I could no longer connect and switched to wireless. Had to get the charge adjusted to avoid being double-charged.

Parking was $19. (Radisson was $12). Still, it was an easy carpark to access, not a tight squeeze as in the Radisson.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank 09876
Reviewed October 13, 2006

I stay in alot of hotels every year and this one has to be one of my favorites. I loved the view from my suite. The price was understandable for all it had to offer. I would highly recommend a stay here to anyone. They have a shuttle as well as many other ammenities.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank lorilovesflying
Reviewed September 25, 2006

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Manchester Hyatt from Sept 23 to Sept 27. I’m going to include more than just the Hyatt in my report in the hope that you’ll find the information useful.

ORBITZ: I booked a complete package deal that included flight, hotel and rental car through Orbitz. A day after I made my booking I realized I could have save a little over $100 if I had booked the pieces individually through Orbitz. I notified Orbitz (because they advertised that I would save money by booking a package), while they were sympathetic, they said, “thanks for letting us know, but we can’t verify your claim”, even though I could pull up put each piece (flight, car and room) add them together and show them they were less than the package I bought. They had no interest in verifying my claim, because they “had no way to see each component” from their computer. A manager finally did agree to either cancel my package so I could book the components individually, or send me a voucher for $100 off my next Orbits booking – like I’m going to use them again….

RENTAL CAR: Whatever you do not use Advantage Rental cars. They are a complete rip-off. It seems like they have only one bus that runs every hour, and the people are very unfriendly with long lines. I’ve had personal problems with them and many people I’ve spoken with have also had problems.

I rented a car from Alamo. The people behind the desk were great, very friendly and helpful, but the car (Impala) was really dirty. I could barely see out of the windshield.

HYATT: For the money (around $280+tax/night) for a standard room there are better hotels. The valets are very good, especially the guy in the suit – he’s excellent.

We arrived at 11:00 AM, had not trouble checking-in, and getting a room. The room was very typical – nothing special. While they advertise having two pools, one of the pools is for spa users only, so in reality you only have free use of one pool.

I think it’s absurd that they charge $10/24 hours for Internet service (wireless or hardwired). Especially when it’s 802.11b at 11 mbps and my card only picked it up at 54%. Numerous times during my stay their access points went down and I lost my connection and my work (I should know better). After some discussion with the manager, he agreed to waive my charge for a day because of crashes. Still, considering the price of the room – Internet should be free, and reliable.

Room service was fast and friendly, the food good, but a bit over priced.

The workout room is adequate, but crowed in the morning – as you would expect.

The Hyatt is a next to the train tracks so every night you’ll hear a very loud train whistle at 3:00 AM – I’m sure you can hear it at other hotels as well, but the Hyatt is right next to it so it’s really loud.

AREA RESTAURANTS: The concierge directed us to the Fish Market for dinner. (He claimed it was less expensive, less touristy and had a better menu than the restaurants in the Gaslamp district – he must get kick-backs, because it wasn’t so.) It was OK – crowed, a little expensive and noisy with indifferent service. We waited in line at 20 minutes just to make a reservation and to get one of those electronic gadgets that lights up when your table is ready. We waited another 20 minutes after checking in with the hostess before a table was available. As a hint; you may want to go upstairs to the “Top of the Market”. There wasn’t a line, and you can usually get seated immediately. The entrees are little more ($4-6 a plate), but the choices are greater and it’s quieter.

We also ate at Fred’s Mexican Restaurant on Fifth Street; expensive and uninspired. Despite what they say on their menu, their meat is tough and unidentifiable. Their margaritas are very watered-down. Not worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business