I attended a business conference at the Manchester this past weekend, November 9-12. It was a very large convention, and the very large convention facilities had no difficulty in handling this large group.
I had pre-booked a non-smoking king bed, but was told it was unavailable when I arrived. I could take two single beds or upgrade (for $40) to a "panoramic view" room with a king. I chose the upgrade. It was a corner room, with a view of the bay and of the front of the hotel.
The lobby is very beautiful, and the staff handling check-in was wonderful. (Staff was wonderful throughout my stay.) The room was a bit of a disappointment, as the carpet is getting old and one of three big windows was blocked by a wall. I had visited the Hyatt website right before the trip and was anticipating the new bed, six pillows, and iPod-ready radio-alarm clock... perhaps a flat screen LCD TV. None of these were present in my room.
I ordered room service a few times, which arrived in a timely manner and was appealing. I ordered sausage with my breakfast one morning but got bacon. I called to let Room Service know and they offered to reduce the charge on the tab. When I checked out they had not done that, and no one associated with Room Service has any recollection of that offer. To their credit, they immediately reduced that charge by 25%.
In-room internet was wireless, but required a credit card and could not be billed to the room. I wish all hotels offered free internet connections in every room. Charge for this was $9.95 per day.
The area surrounding the hotel is great, and fun for exploring. I enjoyed visiting the KC Barbeque restaurant and bar directly across from the hotel, the site of filming the "sleazy bar scene" in Top Gun. It's teeny-tiny.
I was on the 17th floor and happy I was not a floor below that. The previous reviews mention noise from the trains and they are LOUD. The trolley trains make a little noise as they come by, but the AMTRAK trains blow their VERY loud horns at each intersection. Because of the convergence of streets right at the hotel, there's at least two intersections the train has to go through right there. Some trains just gave a little blast but some engineers must have enjoyed really leaning on the horn! I will say that I was not disturbed in my sleep, though. Thick curtains? I'd recommend as high a floor as you can get.
And if you do, you'll find that the elevator service was spectacular. I never had to wait long for a ride, despite the large crowd in the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Under new ownership. The Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego is the ultimate waterfront urban hotel and spa and tallest waterfront building on the West Coast rising high above magnificent San Diego Bay. Panoramic bay and city views welcome you in all of our 1628 newly renovated guestrooms including 76 suites. A 25,000 sq/ft roof top pool deck overlooks San Diego Bay and has 2-whirl pools, a pool bar, cabanas, fire pit and stage area. The Grand lobby is filled with marble, brass, dark stained woods and several grand paintings all lit naturally by 3 stories of windows, which look out over a massive 5 lane porte cochere giving the guest a sense of arrival not seen outside of Las Vegas. The hotel has two marina-view restaurants, a full service Marilyn Monroe Spa and Salon, a sky lounge, a lobby bar, coffee house, a deli and an upscale lounge/restaurant featuring specialty martinis, mojitos and California cuisine. The hotel has over 130,000 sq/ft of meeting space, featuring a 34,000 sq/ft exhibit hall, a 30,000 & 25,000 sq/ft ballrooms next to each other, a 10,000 sq/ft Jr Ballroom and 41 meeting rooms and 45 conference suites. We hope to welcome you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego Hotel San Diego
- Hyatt San Diego
- San Diego Hyatt
- Manchester Hyatt San Diego
- Grand Hyatt San Diego