“Amazing view with walking distance to restuarant and shopping centers.”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #31 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rowland Heights, California
Reviewed May 29, 2005

First I just wanted to let everyone know that this is an amazing hotel. Our room was very clean. We were next to the Seaport Village, Convention Center, and all the nice restuarants on the fifth ave. The view from our room at night was spectacular. The people in the front desk were very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (7,827)

Reviewed May 24, 2005

Stayed here for 6 days. The location is great, downtown San Diego, close to many attractions. The price paid for a double bed room with harbor view, facing west, was a bit over $200 per night. The entrance and the public areas are "grand", but as others have mentioned, the rooms are average. I will try to post pics. You pay for the location and the view (if you have one). One thing that we found annoying was that the walls seemed to be very "thin" and we could hear voices and phones from next door. That is not nice! The staff was very nice and very helpful. If we requested something they would be up in a few minutes to bring it (pillows, a new coffee carafe for the one we broke..).
Before you book, check out the "W", not located downtown by the water, but a 10 minute walk away. Especially if you have no kids with you and are young or young at heart. It has nice bars, and a nice "beach" bar with sand!
Overall, we liked the Hyatt, but we were not thrilled with it. For $200 a night we think it was OK, but not for more $ than that.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank medicfx45
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed May 22, 2005

I justed returned from 5 nights at this wonderful hotel. The location is perfect. Seaport Village is behind the hotel. We stayed in a sea view room in the Seaport Tower. The view of the bay and pier area was beautiful. It is within walking distance of many restaurants, the cruise ship pier, the Midway and harbor boat tours. I attended a large convention and found the service much better than I expected. My room was cleaned each morning, not at 3:30 like a lot of hotels. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet but allow plenty of time since so many guests want to eat right before their meetings. I would definitely stay here again.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2005

All in all this is a very nice hotel. The rooms were comfortable but nothing special. I was most disappointed in the bathroom. It was small by luxury property standards and quite mundane in styling. However, great pressure in the shower. I always appreciate good water pressure at a hotel as it seems like it is a rarity these days. Our view from our window was spectacular. The lobby is very large and well decorated. The pool is only so so. They could use a lot more loungers. The pool bar was very small and always crowded. An outdoor bar/grill area would be appreciated. The spa and workout facilities are nice. The bar at the top of the hotel is really awesome at night but the prices are exorbitant! The staff was always very friendly at the property...well managed. The location is good. Seaport Village is adjacent and the gas lamp district is a $5 taxi ride or a 10 minute walk away. If you can get a rate around $200-250 a night it is well worth it but don't pay more than that.

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank russ
South Royalton, Vermont
Reviewed April 28, 2005

My fiance and I stayed here, on a whim, for the weekend of April 23rd, and it basically ended up feeling like we were on a honeymoon. I'm not a connoisseur of fancy hotels, but I thought this place was very nice and luxurious. The elevators were fast and convenient; the room was good sized and had a very nice view of the harbor and city. It had a desk with a wired high-speed connection (not free), and the bathroom had a decent sized tub. The air conditioning worked well, and the window cracked open so you could hear the ambience of downtown (basically the trolley crossing every 20 minutes). With the window closed, it was comfortably quiet at night.

There were tons of facilities including pool/jacuzzi deck, spa, tennis courts, gym, top floor restaurant, and a LOT more. The look and feel of this hotel seemed to reflect a classic or old fashioned nature- polished stone floor lobby, lots of fine woods, brass, and complimentary tones.

I usually don't like staying at higher end hotels because I hate dealing with all the extra steps, tips etc. However, this hotel offered self parking, and overall, everything was really straightforward.

On a minor note, the proliferation of the Manchester family photos throughout the hotel was a little awkward. I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve with this, but it could be perceived as self-aggrandizement.

We took advantage of the Grand Getaway package, which for $209/night, included free self parking, free breakfast buffet, discounts around town, and (apparently) a room with a nice view. To our pleasant surprise, our room was on the 28th floor of the harbor tower, even though we didn't spend the extra money for the "really nice view" upgrades (I forget what they were really called).

The only snafu we hit was that we didn't get breakfast vouchers when we checked in, so they were going to charge us $72 for our breakfasts when we were checking out. When I tried to resolve it with one of the ladies at the desk (Rosie), she told us that the reason we were charged was because we ate from the wrong buffet. She even "double-checked" with someone (or pretended to) and confirmed that this was probably the case. This didn't make sense to us, because there were no other breakfast buffets in the hotel, so we asked to speak to someone else. The person we then spoke to was much nicer. She explained that we should have received vouchers (when we checked in) that we could use at the buffet. She apologized for this not happening, and said that sometimes it's difficult to keep track of all the details of the packages and offers. She credited the charges and we were on our way.

• Stayed: April 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2005

I’m seasoned business traveler so expectations are high when rooms are $200+ a night. Our stay was in early March for 4 nights for a mini-vacation. Hotel is centrally located, 10 minutes from airport. Lobby magnificent, front desk staff a little confused as to how to book 2 nights using points and 2 nights paying. Hotel public space and sleeping rooms are very clean, loads of meeting space, numerous onsite restaurants. I agree COMPLETELY with previous listing, **While the exterior and public areas were quite 'grand' we found the room to be somewhat disappointing. The room was 'tired' and in need of updating. The bathroom fixtures were older, the sink and taps worn, and the wallpaper peeling and poorly patched. We found the bed to be of mediocre comfort. It was overly firm and the sheets did not stay on particularly well. The pillows were small and not very fluffy.** I expect luxury linens at a Grand Hyatt rather than icky old-fashioned polyester bedspreads and scratchy sheets. Unfortunately the Regency Level was full, so we had a regular room with two double beds. The bathroom had zero ventilation. We couldn’t dry our hair in the bathroom as it was too stuffy!

This place is super-busy with business and leisure travelers - each time we went to the front desk, concierge or valet there was a line. Very diverse gift shop, nice spa (ask for Victoria – she gave me a fantastic haircut/style and discount coupons for the following day’s facials). On the downside: I treated my friend to her first facial, I was disappointed that the facial attendant did not do a consultation on my friend’s skin – my friend didn’t know any better but for $100 I expected more. Spa overlooks lovely pool and Jacuzzi that overlooks the bay.

We did not eat in any of the hotel restaurants as the hotel is walking distance to the Gaslamp district of hot restaurants, bars and boutiques. Next door to the Seaport is filled with souvenir shops, overpriced restaurants, and ice cream/fudge shops. Skip the Seaport.
Hotel is next to trolley that heads to Tijuana, concierge has map and recommended restaurants if you head over the border.

• Stayed: March 2005
10  Thank christigpa
johnson city, TN
Reviewed April 7, 2005

I stayed at the hyatt last summer when I went with my father to a conferrence that was being held there. I've been to many high ranked hotels, and I found it to be very nice. Our room was huge and beautifully decorated. We had a spaciouse kitchen and living room; the bedrooms came with a wonderful view; and the bathrooms were set up very efficiently. Room service was outstanding, as well as other services provided by the staff. The location was perfect as well. I would highly reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled on business