“A Magical Stay at the Manchester”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #25 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntsville, AL
“A Magical Stay at the Manchester”
Reviewed July 10, 2009

After reading some of the TA reviews I was hesitant to book this hotel. I called the hotel directly to ask questions about the noise level and the pool closure situation mentioned in another review. The manager assured me that our family would have a great room. She was not wrong! Our family received exceptional hospitality at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. The lobby is fantastic and looks just like the pictures on the Internet. Our welcome at check in was very friendly and accommodating. I explained to him that one of our girls had thrown up in the car on our way from Disneyland and asked to have a roll-a-way bed. He said that we probably didn't need it, but if I wanted one he was happy to send one up. I guess I had a puzzled look so he proceeded to say that we were in an 1,100 sq. ft. suite. I booked a regular room.
We walked in the double doors to our room to find a huge hotel room complete with 2 sitting rooms with 3 couches, a dining room with seating for 8, an office, a kitchenette with an apartment size refrigerator, 2 bathrooms, a separate king bedroom and a full size Murphy bed in one of the sitting rooms. We were pleasantly surprised stay in a hotel suite that was equivalent to 5 rooms. The hotel went above and beyond to make our stay fantastic! It was a wonderful treat to be upgraded to a suite. The kitchenette counter was full of goodies for us and the girls when we checked in. My girls thought they were living "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody". They loved it! The management at the Hyatt made our stay truly magical. We know that our stay was exceptional, but we still will highly recommend this hotel to our family and friends.
The room was perfect for our family and would be great for a large family or a business traveler on an extended stay. Some details to note:
1. This is definitely a convention hotel . It is the 2nd largest Hyatt in the world with over 1,600 rooms. This is probably why you find the Manchester on Hotwire and Priceline. Parking was convenient and easy to find a space. The rate was $22 per day for self parking. I know some people complain that this is high, but parking in a big city is to be expected.
2. The location is fantastic! It is walking distance to the Gaslamp District, the Convention Center, the Seaport and more. The views are spectacular. I've attached some pictures that I took from the hotel.
3. We did not try the hotel restaurants. They seemed busy and the food smelled great! There was a barista preparing coffee drinks to order in the morning. Coffee drinkers will love it! We purchased groceries at the nearby Ralph's Grocery store for breakfast items since we had a refrigerator.
4. The outdoor pool was beautiful. It was heated, but too chilly for me. My husband and kids swam, but I preferred the hot tub. There were 2 of them on either side of the pool deck. Both with great views of the harbor. I've attached some pictures. There is another pool in the spa area that is converted to a night club in the evenings during the summer months. We could hear the music when we were outside on the regular pool deck. There were a lot of young professionals staying at the hotel. The poolside bar was bustling with activity and people of all ages were seen throughout the hotel property. It seemed like a place to be seen in the evening.
5. Our room was very large and appointed well. The king bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. They seemed to be down with a down duvet, but I can't be sure now. The king bedroom was handicap accessible in the bathroom. There were handles and a seat in the shower and handles near the toilet. There was a full length mirror in the bathroom for guests who could not see in the mirror over the sink. The lighting in this bathroom was not great. It would be difficult to put make up on with the dim florescent lighting. The countertops were marble with tile flooring. The curtains in this bedroom were remote control. I'm not sure if this was because it was a suite or if it was a handicap feature, but they were very cool and worked well.
6. In the foyer, there was another bathroom. This one was quite grand with 2 separate sinks on opposite walls, a toilet and a shower/tub. The countertops were green marble and the marble/tile accents on the floor and walls were cream and yellow. The lighting was excellent and included recessed lighting in the shower.
7. The furniture in the sitting rooms, dining room and office were dark green and golden yellow. It was a classic style. The furnishings were older, but well taken care of and in good condition. There were lots of accessories to make it seem like a professionally decorated room. As I said before, my kids thought it was super luxurious and they were in heaven!
8. This might not seem unusual to those who travel out west, but we were surprised that the windows opened. In the South it is too hot and humid to open the windows. It was nice to feel the great cool air and to hear the sounds on the street. We could hear the clippity-clop of horse drawn carriages and the sound of the trolley. I found it charming. I know others find the train loud and annoying. I guess it depends on your room location. We were on the 6th floor of the Seaport Tower with a view of the Navy ship. If you are a light sleeper you might want to ask to be in a room that does not face the train tracks. We were not bothered at all, but I did talk with other guests who were.
Overall this was a great first visit to San Diego. We saw the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Wild Animal Park and SeaWorld. It was nice to have a comfortable hotel room to stay in after very busy days seeing the sights. We would definitely stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt again.

3 Thank Michelle K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,497)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Did exhaustive research of all downtown hotels. Selected the Hyatt for last weekend's stay and couldn't be happier. The location was super. Knew it was "close" to Sea Port village but did not realize that meant you walk out the back door and you're in this mini-village w/ great shops, restaurants, street performers. Quick boat trip within a 2 minute walk and you're in Coronodo(highly recommend). Room was great and staff were very accomodating. We arrived early so our room was not ready but we were able to go to the pool and the staff phoned us when we could ck in. The evening fire w/ marshmallows was a big hit with my 10 year old. Very convenient location.

5 Thank possumgirl
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We (wife, 2 boys 13 and 11) checked in on June27th and the entire process took less then 3 minutes. The room was on the 27th floor overlooking the USS Midway and the view was great. The pool area and sports deck were an immediate hit with my boys and I noticed they also had a kids club for the younger ones where they were decorating cookies pool side. Later that night they showed a movie in one of the conference rooms and had a pop corn machine, but this seemed to be catered more to the little ones. The parking, as everyone else has mentioned, ran $22 a day for self parking and $32 for valet. The self parking garage is attached to the hotel and access in and out was a breeze. Petco Park is a nice stroll past the Convention Center (less then a mile) from the hotel and is an extremely safe walk at night, just mind the pedi-cabs as there are plenty of those and if you don't pay attention you may meet one unexpectedly. If you are going to the game, check to see if the Hotel is running there All-Star Deal, where if there are any home runs hit during the game you can receive discounts on your stay. Behind the hotel near the water is a great little shopping area where you can get pretty inexpensive food and drinks. If you need any incidentals, about a mile from the hotel is a grocery store called Ralph's which carries anything you may need, just ask the desk for directions. I took the walk myself at night, and although it seemed pretty safe and the area is very clean, there were your share of homeless in the area, (not a lot, but enough to notice) but not one of them bothered me. Still, the walk was pleasant. La Jolla was only 15 minutes away with some great kayaking, The San Diego Zoo (fantastic/all day event) was about the same, and Mission Beach had a great boardwalk with rides and games. We ate one night at the Corvette diner, look it up and also hughly recommended. Kids loved it. I did manage to leave several items in my hotel room at checkout (ah, the pleasure of travelling with kids, but I am in the process of getting them back with the hotels assistance) . The only downside was not having free internet in your room. If I can get it in much lesser hotels for free, hide it in the price of the room for me so I feel like I'm getting something. Other then that, there isn't anything bad I could say about this hotel, I highly recommend it and would definately stay here again.

3 Thank poguemahon323
San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I live in SD and just went for a weekend getaway. I got an excellent deal through priceline ($107 per night). It was quite crowded due to all of the conventions going on, but they have a special check-in line for Gold Passport members...so make sure you sign up on line beforehand (it's free); if not, you may be standing in line a while just to get your room key. The hotel is in one of the cleanest and nicest parts of downtown, and if you get a harbor view room, you won't be disappointed. I was on the 23rd floor and had an amazing view of much of San Diego. The room was decent (paying more for location and view than room ameneties). No mini-bar, which was disappointing and the first time I have seen such a thing in SD. The 4th floor pool was decent...service was very slow (only 2 servers for the entire deck), so it took about 10 minutes to get anything we ordered. The lounge chairs were dirty, so grab two towels so you don't have to touch them. But, it is better than the 3rd deck pool...which makes a very bad attempt at being a hip, trendy, rooftop club/pool/bar (leave it to the Ivy and the Hard Rock and just be a Hyatt!!). They even play club music during the day, which can be quite annoying. Bad service at that pool also. I ordered room service at 11:00 p.m. and was told it would take 45 minutes...it didn't arrive until 12:15. A little annoying, but the food was some of the best I have had through room service (although quite pricey), so I couldn't complain. Overall, if you can get a deal, this is a great location...you are in the middle of anything you could ever want to do in downtown SD.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JCarlson1
ca
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I went for my fiancé's birthday, and thought it was going to be a great stay.But instead it was a big head ache.No one knew what they were doing!!!! At check in they didn't give us our voucher for breakfast, so at breakfast while we were eating I had to run down to the lobby and get one ,so I wouldn't have to pay an other 50 $ just for breakfast.Then the room we got, the bed was so old as soon as we sat on it, it made the loudest noise's.Next-We got the massage package which I paid a arm and a leg for and they told us we could take care of the payment when we went for the massage.So when we went for our massage, they told us we had to take care if it down stairs at the lobby ...So we had to run all the way to the lobby and fix that!!! Ridiculous!!!!!!!!! by the time we got back for out massages the people were rushing us because we were late for our appointment!!!Then we ordered room service, and it took a hr for our lunch, and then aftrer an hr we got a call from the kitchen saying they dropped our food, so it was going to be an 30 min!!!! I don't see why I had to deal with this much crap when im paying $600 for a room!!!!` will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I stayed there during the SIGGRAPH convention in 2007, their Wi-fi was the worst I have experienced. This is a computer based conference so this was unacceptable. When checking in there was a mess up with my room so I had to come later that night to get my room. I usually sleep like the dead but because the hotel is located between the bay and a trolley stop, surrounding noise kept me up all night for 5 nights NO EXAGGERATION. There should have been double layered glass (at least) to keep out the noise. The convention I paid a lot of money (airfare and fees $4000) to see flying from Japan was worthless because of my sleepless week in San Diego's worst hotel. When I checked out they could not put the weeks stay on any mileage that they initially said could be. I had not ordered a mini-bar (which was locked anyway) but they tried to charge me for it. I filled out a complaint card leaning my contact info, but never got any response. In fact I now refuse to stay in any Hyatt because of this painful experience. I checked out and went to a cheaper quieter place nearby.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Yet another glitzy marbleized convention hotel. They all look the same after a while. This hotel is just a block or two from the convention center and it was filled with conventioneers. Not a complaint, just a statement of fact.

We were attending a company conference at the hotel which meant that the company paid for our room. Still, we had to pay an extra $25 per night to get a king-sized bed. Our room was very clean but starting to show the wear and tear. There was no turn-down service and wet towels are replaced only once a day--though one of the three evenings we did get wet towels replaced in the afternoon as well as the morning --but don't depend on it.

It also meant that we got to sample the catering department food rather than the hotel restaurants. The two dinners we had --one buffet and the other sit-down --were both very good. The company convention planners are very good at what they do and make very good choices when it comes to food; still they depend on the hotel for execution and in this case, the hotel gets good marks. We skipped the lunches but the food choices at breakfast were plentiful and varied. Of course, the company chooses our menu so I can only complain to them about the egg choice -- can't they just once give us an omelet bar instead of that huge chafing dish of yellow glop?

Yes, I would still recommend this hotel to a friend. The location is beautiful with a great view of the bay and plenty to do in walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business