After reading some of the TA reviews I was hesitant to book this hotel. I called the hotel directly to ask questions about the noise level and the pool closure situation mentioned in another review. The manager assured me that our family would have a great room. She was not wrong! Our family received exceptional hospitality at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. The lobby is fantastic and looks just like the pictures on the Internet. Our welcome at check in was very friendly and accommodating. I explained to him that one of our girls had thrown up in the car on our way from Disneyland and asked to have a roll-a-way bed. He said that we probably didn't need it, but if I wanted one he was happy to send one up. I guess I had a puzzled look so he proceeded to say that we were in an 1,100 sq. ft. suite. I booked a regular room.
We walked in the double doors to our room to find a huge hotel room complete with 2 sitting rooms with 3 couches, a dining room with seating for 8, an office, a kitchenette with an apartment size refrigerator, 2 bathrooms, a separate king bedroom and a full size Murphy bed in one of the sitting rooms. We were pleasantly surprised stay in a hotel suite that was equivalent to 5 rooms. The hotel went above and beyond to make our stay fantastic! It was a wonderful treat to be upgraded to a suite. The kitchenette counter was full of goodies for us and the girls when we checked in. My girls thought they were living "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody". They loved it! The management at the Hyatt made our stay truly magical. We know that our stay was exceptional, but we still will highly recommend this hotel to our family and friends.
The room was perfect for our family and would be great for a large family or a business traveler on an extended stay. Some details to note:
1. This is definitely a convention hotel . It is the 2nd largest Hyatt in the world with over 1,600 rooms. This is probably why you find the Manchester on Hotwire and Priceline. Parking was convenient and easy to find a space. The rate was $22 per day for self parking. I know some people complain that this is high, but parking in a big city is to be expected.
2. The location is fantastic! It is walking distance to the Gaslamp District, the Convention Center, the Seaport and more. The views are spectacular. I've attached some pictures that I took from the hotel.
3. We did not try the hotel restaurants. They seemed busy and the food smelled great! There was a barista preparing coffee drinks to order in the morning. Coffee drinkers will love it! We purchased groceries at the nearby Ralph's Grocery store for breakfast items since we had a refrigerator.
4. The outdoor pool was beautiful. It was heated, but too chilly for me. My husband and kids swam, but I preferred the hot tub. There were 2 of them on either side of the pool deck. Both with great views of the harbor. I've attached some pictures. There is another pool in the spa area that is converted to a night club in the evenings during the summer months. We could hear the music when we were outside on the regular pool deck. There were a lot of young professionals staying at the hotel. The poolside bar was bustling with activity and people of all ages were seen throughout the hotel property. It seemed like a place to be seen in the evening.
5. Our room was very large and appointed well. The king bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. They seemed to be down with a down duvet, but I can't be sure now. The king bedroom was handicap accessible in the bathroom. There were handles and a seat in the shower and handles near the toilet. There was a full length mirror in the bathroom for guests who could not see in the mirror over the sink. The lighting in this bathroom was not great. It would be difficult to put make up on with the dim florescent lighting. The countertops were marble with tile flooring. The curtains in this bedroom were remote control. I'm not sure if this was because it was a suite or if it was a handicap feature, but they were very cool and worked well.
6. In the foyer, there was another bathroom. This one was quite grand with 2 separate sinks on opposite walls, a toilet and a shower/tub. The countertops were green marble and the marble/tile accents on the floor and walls were cream and yellow. The lighting was excellent and included recessed lighting in the shower.
7. The furniture in the sitting rooms, dining room and office were dark green and golden yellow. It was a classic style. The furnishings were older, but well taken care of and in good condition. There were lots of accessories to make it seem like a professionally decorated room. As I said before, my kids thought it was super luxurious and they were in heaven!
8. This might not seem unusual to those who travel out west, but we were surprised that the windows opened. In the South it is too hot and humid to open the windows. It was nice to feel the great cool air and to hear the sounds on the street. We could hear the clippity-clop of horse drawn carriages and the sound of the trolley. I found it charming. I know others find the train loud and annoying. I guess it depends on your room location. We were on the 6th floor of the Seaport Tower with a view of the Navy ship. If you are a light sleeper you might want to ask to be in a room that does not face the train tracks. We were not bothered at all, but I did talk with other guests who were.
Overall this was a great first visit to San Diego. We saw the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Wild Animal Park and SeaWorld. It was nice to have a comfortable hotel room to stay in after very busy days seeing the sights. We would definitely stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Under new ownership. The Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego is the ultimate waterfront urban hotel and spa and tallest waterfront building on the West Coast rising high above magnificent San Diego Bay. Panoramic bay and city views welcome you in all of our 1628 newly renovated guestrooms including 76 suites. A 25,000 sq/ft roof top pool deck overlooks San Diego Bay and has 2-whirl pools, a pool bar, cabanas, fire pit and stage area. The Grand lobby is filled with marble, brass, dark stained woods and several grand paintings all lit naturally by 3 stories of windows, which look out over a massive 5 lane porte cochere giving the guest a sense of arrival not seen outside of Las Vegas. The hotel has two marina-view restaurants, a full service Marilyn Monroe Spa and Salon, a sky lounge, a lobby bar, coffee house, a deli and an upscale lounge/restaurant featuring specialty martinis, mojitos and California cuisine. The hotel has over 130,000 sq/ft of meeting space, featuring a 34,000 sq/ft exhibit hall, a 30,000 & 25,000 sq/ft ballrooms next to each other, a 10,000 sq/ft Jr Ballroom and 41 meeting rooms and 45 conference suites. We hope to welcome you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego Hotel San Diego
- Hyatt San Diego
- San Diego Hyatt
- Manchester Hyatt San Diego
- Grand Hyatt San Diego