“The Name has "Grand" in there for a Reason!”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #31 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This one GRAND hotel. We had a grand time and hated to have to leave. We were 6 adults and an infant celebrating my wife's birthday & our anniversary. We brought the whole family and grand-baby with us. We had a Grand Suite with 2 bedrooms. It worked out great for us. I can't say enough about the staff here. They are the nicest people.

The location was perfect. Behind the hotel is Seaport Village with nice little shops and restaurants. We walked through there several times and had several good meals. The Midway Aircraft Carrier and the harbor bay cruises are in walking distance. The San Diego Zoo is only 15 minutes away.

I was able to use the Diamond Member check in line. Check in went quickly and smoothly. We were given 2 keys to each of the 3 rooms that made up out 2 bedroom suite. The person who checked us in explained the service times for the Grand Club and how the parking garage works for guests.

The parlor/family room was over 700 square feet with a sofa bed, chairs, dining table, and full bathroom. We used this as a 3rd bedroom at night. One bedroom had a king bed, the other had 2 double beds. Each room had a refrigerator and full size bathroom. We were able to shut off each of the 3 rooms at night so each couple had their privacy. We were on the 31st floor and has an awesome view of the bay.

Elite members and those staying in the "club" rooms have access to the Grand Club on the 33rd floor. The Grand Club offers complimentary breakfast, evening cocktails (for a minimal fee) and hors d'oeuvres. We had breakfast there each day and snacks in the late afternoon. The food was good.

There are 2 nice size pools. A family pool and an adult only pool. They have fire pits at the end of the family pool which we enjoyed a few of the nights.

They have a small yard on the other side of the pool with a ping pong table, 2 foosball tables, beanbag toss, scooters, and blocks for kids to play with. The ping pong, foosball, and beanbag toss made me feel like a kid again.

Housekeeping was perfect. Our rooms were cleaned and made up every day. Used water bottles were replaced every day.

We will definitely stay at this Hyatt again. I just need to find a reason to come back to San Diego! Love it here.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing the bay. Amazing view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Larry M
Write a ReviewReviews (7,924)

Reviewed June 12, 2014

What I most enjoyed about this hotel was the outdoor swimming pool for adults only. It was open at 6:00 a.m., so I could just hop out of bed, put on my swim suit and head down for the lap swim. There was another pool that was available for children and general playing around. Otherwise, the hotel had all the amenities: refrigerator, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, etc. The conference I attended had several cocktail hours outdoors on the balcony deck which were very enjoyable. What could really be improved is the microphone clarity in the large ballrooms.

Room Tip: We had a view of the water on the 10th floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank winwhelan
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This hotel was exceptional. The room was very modern and spacious. The hotel had everything I needed, including a business centre. It is located close to the harbor and it was lovely to walk along the water. Seaport village is right next door as well. Everything about the hotel, including the price, was exceptional.

Room Tip: The harbor view is best.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2014

spectacular views of the harbor. Location is awesom and within walking distance to gaslamp district. rooms clean and spacious. trolley stops directly in front of hotel. awesome pool area with outside bar lots of setting and wonderful views.

Room Tip: get a room with the harbor view
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kboogie1
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I was blown away by this hotel - and unexpectedly too! I had just stayed in Hotel Circle at a 3 star hotel for 4 nights and moved to this hotel for a conference. The price difference was only $20 per night extra for THIS hotel and it was far and away AMAZING value for money!

Firstly, the place is huge and there are at least 20 staff members lurking around to help in the foyer. I have never been to a hotel with such exceptionally friendly, helpful staff.

The rooms are very nice, comfy beds, strong wifi connection (I can't comment on price as mine was included in the conference cost) and amazing views - pay the extra $10 or so for the view - worth it!

There is a starbucks on site, it is close to the waterfront, shopping, cafes, restaurants, bars etc - everything you need is right there.

The rooftop bar has a nice view, and the pool area is also amazing.

A special mention to Cathy (Kathy?) at the concierge desk for going above and beyond and helping me fix my shoe during my stay! Exceptional service.

If I go to San Diego again, this hotel is definitely where I will stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the view
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Liztiz1
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The only thing I can say good about this Hyatt is the location. Other than that, I am mostly disappointed with it. The window panes seemed very thin that you can hear the alarm whenever the trolly runs by, also the airplane flying by. This may be my personal opinion, but the bed is too soft for me and the pillow is just not right. I could not have good sleep for the whole week. Not impressed with this Hyatt at all.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank bobster30
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We loved our splurge at this hotel. The location is perfect, the rooms well appointed, the views spectacular, and it is quiet. No outside noise, even with your window open, and no noise from other rooms. It is within walking distance (1/2 mile...6 easy, flat blocks) from the Gaslamp District (restaurants, bars) and even closer to the SD Convention Center.

We had a room on the 28th floor (South building) with spectacular views. Tip: I asked for a city view as I wanted to watch the "city lights" at night and the city skyline by day. From the north building our room also had a view of the beautiful Coronado bridge. Also could see (but not hear) the planes on their approach to San Diego's airport. The views were spectacular. There is a small couch in the room in front of the window and we literally turned it around to face the window so that we could take full advantage of the view.

I've seen other reviews that have criticized this hotel for the expense of their parking and the internet which are particularly annoying when added to the very expensive room rate. I am a price shopper and investigated the many upscale downtown SD hotels. Room prices were very similar and parking/internet charges at all big downtown hotels were identical, so I did not find that as a distinguishing feature. Not that I like those charges, but every hotel has the same setup. I did opt for the Bed & Breakfast for 2, which allows a 2:00 p.m. checkout and a terrific, extensive breakfast in a lovely dining room (linen napkins). The views and the 2:00 checkout option is what sold us on the Manchester Grand Hyatt.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple