“Great location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Illinois
“Great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. The best thing about the hotel is the location and it's proximity to seaport village. It is a short taxi ride to the zoo/Balboa park too (about $12). The rooms are general - beds, tv, chair, desk. they had an ipod deck. and when I asked for a fridge and microwave for our 2 year old - they brought them up right away. The bathroom are also pretty big. Not a lot of drawer space, but I used the shelves in the bathroom for clothes too. The pool area is nice with a play area for kids.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ILgirl75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,466)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Easton, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

We stayed at this property once before, when the new lobby and tower were under construction (2003)--it is as though the rooms in the Seaport Tower have not been renovated since that time as ours appeared worn and tired, particularly the bathroom.

The location is terrific and once again we had a fabulous view of the bay and surrounding area. Not sure what is so Grand about this Hyatt, however, other than the public areas which are very nice as is the pool. Oh, and the price--they must have the market cornered to charge the fees they do for such an average room--thank goodness for the views!

If ever we find ourselves in San Diego purely for pleasure I would not stay here and only did so because of husband's business meeting.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Worn, old & tired bathroom / room; poor maid service; damaged furniture and light fixtures in room. The most disappointing Hyatt I've seen.
2 Thank TexasAMC3
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

I have to say, I really liked this hotel. It is so close to everything and the views are just great. I also found the staff very helpful and friendly. The rooms, while not the best I have every stayed in, are nice and very clean. The lobby is spectacular and the stay was quiet and very enjoyable. If I go back to San Diego (and I hope I do because it is an amazing city) I will stay here again. Just one little thing… I like the bottom sheet on the bead to be fitted. A tucked in flat sheet doesn’t do it for me and I wish a nice hotel like this one had not pulled that.

• Liked — Location and clean
  • Disliked — no fitted sheet
  • Stayed September 2008
San Jose
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

Stayed at the manchester grand hyatt, San Diego,for 4 nights in august 08. The 4th night was free or else we wouldn't have stayed at 300 a night. The lobby is impressive as others have stated. Everything else is "nothing special." Now, here lies the problem. On two of the 4 nights, the local train tracks are just outside the hotel. The train came by at 12 midnight, and again at 2am., and blows its air horn..super loud. Its their policy because they cross an intersection. Never again will I stay there. Other hotels are in the same fix. The Embassy Suites are right on the tracks, the Marriot is there, Hampton Inn is there also. This bloody train travels along the harbor and behind the hotels. Next time I will stay in the gaslamp area away from the tracks. Also, prices at the hotel restaurants are pretty pricy. We would walk out the back door and go to the seaport village area , a 2 minute walk for dinner. Parking also at the hyatts garage was 20.00 a night. what happen to free parking if you were a quest? Times must be tough.....

• Liked — location to harbor, and downtown san diego, walking distance.
  • Disliked — horrible train whistle at 2 am, and pricey restaurants.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sanjosejohn
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2008

Came to the Manchester for a convention, have been here all week. Very happy with the room in the Harbor Tower, and with the fantastic view. The hotel is just a couple of blocks to the Convention Center, where the main convention was held. However, the first half of the week was business meetings in the Manchester, itself.

I couldn't be happier with the service for the meetings, the restaurants, the gift shop, and the room. The rooms are thoroughly cleaned each day - I saw the maid actually scrubbing down the wall of my shower. I like the triple sheeting and 6 pillows.

Room service was fast, and a big cheeseburger with all the fixins' and huge serving of fries cost $24, including tip. (I do wish they'd brought a glass of water, though.) Sally's had a great chicken sandwich and blackened tuna.

There is the problem of the one cup at a time coffee maker. I didn't even bother getting a key to the mini bar refrigerator with its $10 a day restocking fee if you use it for your own stuff. I did end up buying one of the $4.50 bottles of water because I don't like the taste of the tap water in San Diego.

The spa is a good deal if you feel like some pampering. My one hour massage also bought me an afternoon with the steam shower, jacuzzi, a private lap pool and dried fruit and water while lounging in the sun and shade with a book. I could have ordered pool side food and drink, too.

The hotel backs up to Seaport Village, a beautiful park and shopping area. (My husband and I bought hats, ate a couple of meals. ) The first day I came, there was an art show along the shore. Just across Harbor Drive is the Gaslamp area with shopping and tons of unique restaurants. (Enjoyed meals at Osetra with their wine fairies and La Bocca.) There's a Ralph's grocery 5 blocks from the hotel.

Watch out for the pedicabs - $30 a person if you don't haggle.

The shuttle from the airport cost me $8 one way. My husband came later and his taxi was $12. We took the Old Town trolley tour for $32 each, getting off on Coronado Island for a walk on the beach, browsing at a book store, and ice cream.

• Liked — The view of the harbor and Coronado Island
  • Disliked — Coffee pot, no refrigerator
1 Thank bnuckols
Palm Springs,CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

The hotel handy for the convention center but while staying I found the owner is the biggest funder of Prop 8 (the one to deny all Californians the right to marry)

I WISH I knew this before giving them my money, San Diego is typically 'family' friendly so this was a shock. This put a cloud over my entire stay - without this issue the hotel was, OK.

5 Thank LGTB
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

My wife and I stayed there Labor Day Weekend. We love San Diego and chose it based on the brand, proximity to the sites, and the great rate we found.

Our stay started off with a bed sheet with stains that still make my stomach turn. The staff was either embarrassed or just angry about my complaint. Our trip ended with me being accosted by one of the self important staff for slouching in a couch with my eyes shut for a brief moment. Before that, we were woken up at 2:00 AM and kept up all night by a neighboring room full of drunken girls. It took two calls to the front desk a half hour apart and an hour+ of aggravation for them to quiet down.

There were many nice people there, especially at the concierge and bell desks, but the few things that happened were preventable and inexcusable. If you want a deal and potential for aggravation, stay here. If you want a great San Diego visit, go to the Coronado instead.

There was a huge protest outside while we were there. I could see why locals hate the place. Hyatt should be ashamed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Careless
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple