“Great location, nice hotel.”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #26 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Barbara, CA
“Great location, nice hotel.”
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I stayed at the Manchester Grand for a work conference, and since it was much nicer than the hotels I usually stay at on business, I was pretty satisfied. I'd give it a 3.5 if I could. The pool was absolutely beautiful, the view from my room spectacular, and the food at the restaurants and from room service was above average hotel food. The service I received from the concierge and bell staff was also good. The bed was very comfortable. And..the location. Right next to Seaside Village which is full of touristy shops and restaurants, and a short walk from the Gaslamp quarter, which has great shopping and excellent dining choices. You're also a short walk from the marina area where you can check out a giant aircraft carrier and some tall ships.

The down-sides:
*when I got into my room, the toilet paper roll was half empty as was the bottle of lotion on the sink. This was the first time I have ever experienced that in a hotel, and it kind of grossed me out. When you go to a hotel, you aren't supposed to see any sign of the people who stayed in the room before you!!
*Guests had to pay additional costs to use the fitness center and wireless internet. For the cost of this hotel, I would expect these things to be included.

Overall it was a good stay, but I don't know that I'd stay there if I was footing the bill myself.

• Liked — Location and views
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness in room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,533)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We visited the Grand Hyatt back in 2006 and were excited to stay again as we loved it. As it turned out, we were a bit disappointed as it's become quite "worn" in some areas. I booked ahead and received a discounted rate but for someone paying full price, the value simply isn't there.

The lobby area is beautiful but when you reach the elevator area, there's a stench of what seems to be a water/sewer issue. We noticed it on each floor. The rooms are rather small and ready for some updating. The carpet was dirty but the view was nice and the bed was comfortable. There's a sign in the bathroom indicating that linens are only replaced upon request in order to conserve water and energy which is a great idea. However, the housekeeping was somewhat lacking. We had dirty glassware left in our room day after day. We even tried setting it on the floor in the hallway but there it stayed. We occupied our room for six nights and not once was the room vacuumed. There was also an awful smell each time we turned on the bathroom sink - like sewage.

The Bellmen were very helpful and courteous. The staff at the Concierge desk were also very knowledgeable. The pool is nice but definitely in need of more shade. There are a few cabanas but other than that, no shady areas for those who need to avoid the sun. We attended the July 4th BBQ and while the food was tasty, it was mayhem. They ran out of several items in the first few minutes and the line backed up. I used the workout room and it was extremely state of the art and clean.

Overall, I would stay at the Hyatt again if the price was good just for the location but it's definitely not worth the $299 per night as I'm sure some guests paid.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — sewer smell
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PDXFolks
San Diego
Reviewed July 5, 2008

Hubby & I, are Experienced travelers.
Before staying here, we researched what others on this website had to say.

The Manchester Grand Hyatt hotel was a very pleasant experience. Fabulous location, location, location.

Our room was very nicely appointed, but was not a suite. But then, we did not book or pay for a suite.
We were very happy with our room. We stayed on the 30th floor of the older tower. Views? OMG!
Beds and pillows- were great. Room was great-just remember- we did not pay for, or stay in a suite. This review is for a standard room.

Hospitality and Personnel- excellent and friendly.
If you, like us, want to bring a cooler of some kind, and some groceries- un-like other hotels we've stayed at- you will not be looked down upon.

We stayed on July 4th. A very busy day for all water front locations in this area.

We booked our room- using hotwire.com and paid a measly $159. for our room (prior to tax). Truly a deal and 1/2.

My one caveat, is that I wanted to use the spa-and was told ahead of time, that day usage of the spa for a hotel guest would cost $10. We went to the spa, and we were told it would now cost $25. HUH, over a 24 hour period the cost went up 2 and 1/2 times?
Apparently YES.
I did ask for the manager, told her I'd been quoted $10. for a full day of the spa "yesterday", she explained that yes-management had increased the charge to $25. However, she would honor the $10. we'd been quoted the day before. (hurumph-well I should think so).

In regards to the spa. The men's and women's are separate, each has a sauna, steam room, lockers and bathrooms separate. Together-there are lounging areas, a private pool and spa (no kiddies allowed). A wonderfull pool and jacuzzi area with
views to die for overlooking the bay, the boats and the ocean. Truly worth it, if it's a busy time, and you don't want to be around children.

The workout room, cost a gues $5.00. But- it is pretty impressive and worth the money for sure.

The hotel itself- the lobby, the bars, the restaurants and the gift shops- are all well appointed, with fabulous artwork- fixtures, flat screen TV's and great service.

IF- you happen to go on July 4th. I don't think there is a better place to see Fireworks in all of San Diego. Even my "I really don't care about Firework's" hubby was impressed with the show that was put on.

We would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat.

PS: If you're into sailing- right in front of the hotel (on the water) you can rent a 25' Catalina Sailboat for two hours for $108.

For breakfast- mosey over to the Edgewater Cafe. Great people watching, reasonable food, right on the water.

For dinner- We would recommend: "Roy's Asian Fusion Cusine"
less expensive then "Sally's" way better, and world famous.

*But, make an early reservation for Roy's. Or, you will miss out!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Deenusser
California
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I just returned from a conference at Grand Hyatt in San Diego. First, the location and views are excellent. It is great to wake up, open the blinds, and see the ocean and Coronado Bridge. The breakfast buffet is pricey--$25.00--but it offers extensive hot choices and some of the best muffins and freshest fruit I have ever eaten at a buffet. My room was clean, the bed was top quality, and the linens soft to the skin. They have an ihome so you can plug in your ipod. For me the biggest selling point for this hotel was the service. I am a frequent traveler and I have NEVER received such great service from every employee I met--the folks at the front desk, the servers at the buffet, the cleaning service--all bent over backwards to keep us happy and did it with a smile. They are doing something right at this hotel.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank MDRCalifornia
San Francisco
Reviewed June 29, 2008

The public spaces are very impressive, the service is professional BUT the walls are really thin. I was located in the old tower (the smaller of the two), hopefully the new tower does not have this problem.

• Liked — Lobby
  • Disliked — Very Thin Walls
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Barcelona
Reviewed June 27, 2008

Bid 153$ a night for a 4 star in San Diego and this was the place we were allocated. Unlike a previous reviewer i was very glad to be offered the 2 for1 breakfast deal at check in as 20$ for 2 adults is a great price. The food at the buffet was excellent and at those prices you would hard pressed to obtain food that was as nice at an outside venue. If you are not offered it I would suggest ask for it!

The room was OK but the queen beds were definitely on the small size, with my wife and i being slim it was not too bad but by American hotel standards I would say they were a bit too cozy. The decor in the public areas is very nice and reminded me of being in the concourse of a posh railway station, all very grand. The rooms at my price point did not have quite the same feel as the public areas but were ok .if a little drab. The hotel seems to cater to a lot of conferences and as a result you may be able to pick up a free wifi signal from your room.

The local area had some great restaurants and was within walking distance of the gaslamp district so you will be spoiled for choice. As stated earlier the buffet breakfast was excellent value at 20$ for 2.
Parking at the hotel is 20$ a day which is about standard i feel.
Other people complained of noise from trains...you can hear it but it never woke me up. Once awake you do hear it and it is loud so you may wish to ask for a room on the " view " side of the hotel. We never slept in past 0800 so there may be no noise before a certain time but you cannot miss it when it does happen.
All in all i was pleased at getting this hotel for the price we paid.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small beds
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank 400driver
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I wouldn't recommend this hotel as value for money unless you get it through Priceline which we did. It is a nice enough hotel but like someone else said - hidden money extras such as trying to con you into buying some gold card thing to get a cheaper breakfast or the other pool/spa/gym is not free. One pool is though.

Great views and perfect location. Clean rooms and so-so staff. The parking starts from approx $20 a night so not cheap. There is no complimentary WiFi & it is expensive (like other big chains).

Give it 3/5 for location on the plus side but lost the 2 stars for price.

• Liked — Clean rooms & great views
  • Disliked — Expensive parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family