“Great location downtown, beautiful hotel.”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #29 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We snagged a great deal on priceline for this hotel on our recent trip to San Diego. The Lobby was impressive although the rooms weren't out of this world, pretty basic and nothing really sticks out as special or unique. Their were several restaurants but all very pricey as most hotel resgaurants are. It was in a good location close to everything. We would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
KSpitz, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Dear luv2travel1980,
Thank you for the review! You'll be happy to hear we are updating the rooms in a complete renovation set to take place in early 2012. We hope you'll be back to visit us again and see these upgrades firsthand. Also, be sure to stay in touch and check our special offers page on our website where we offer great value-add packages throughout the year.

E-Marketing Manager
Manchester Grand Hyatt

Reviewed July 10, 2011

My sister got married here in April with a ton of hiccups by the event staff. The on-site event planner showed 20 min late to the ceremony because she forgot to set-up the sand ceremony. She was supposed to escort the bride and bridal party to the lawn where the ceremony was going to be held, so we ended up heading to the lawn ourselves when we hadn't heard from her and she hadn't returned any of our calls.

The reception also did not go smoothly. The event planner was nowhere to be found at the start of the reception when we needed assistance with missing tables/chairs. Extreme lack of management.

After all that, I noticed several incorrect charges on my credit card from the hotel. I checked into one room that evening but was charged for two other rooms (one of my sister's and one of my brother in-laws) for one night before the wedding and one night after, which I was not present at check-in nor did I ever leave my card for. When I called the hotel about these incorrect and unauthorized charges, they couldn't explain why they took the authority to charge the two additional rooms to my credit card and said that they would transfer the charges over to the correct cards. That was in April. It's now July and they still have not done so. When my sister called them to straighten this out, they said our case had been closed. They closed the case with out resolving it or transferring the charges. The employee apologized to my sister and said she would fix it with in the week, so that I would not be incorrectly charged. That was weeks ago and the charges still remain on my card.

I am extremely dissatisfied with the level of service and the staff's inability to correct their mistakes, especially when my sister spent thousands of dollars here for her wedding.

I would NEVER stay here again or recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ursytran
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Dear ursytran,
On behalf of the Manchester Grand Hyatt I'd like to sincerely apologize for all the issues you've experienced. First, please contact our Credit Manager, Michelle Trick, so she can assist you with the credit card charges 619.358.6762 or email Michelle.Trick@hyatt.com. She is expecting your call.
I have also shared your comments with our Director of Catering so he can look into the issues you mentioned with the day-of wedding coordinator. Please provide Rick Mitrovich (619.358.6635) with your contact information so we can follow up appropriately.
Again, thank you for this feedback and we hope to touch base with you over the phone ASAP.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband was here on business for 4 days and I tagged along to visit San Diego. The hotel is a quick taxi ride from the airport. We had no issues with check-in and the staff was perfectly nice and helpful. Our room was clean and adequate..really nothing to complain about. It is literally steps away from the Seaport Village and a short walk to the Gaslamp area, which was nice. I used the concierge each day for help planning my day and found all of them to be helpful and friendly, giving me good (and accurate) advice. The food/drink in the hotel is insanely over-priced. My husband had early morning meetings so we were at the mercy of the hotel for breakfast...huge expense. On my first outing, I passed a Ralph's supermarket (probably10-15 min walk toward the gaslamp) and it was so worth it to pop in there and get a few pieces of fruit, yogurt, milk, a box of cereal, and bottled water). I took spoons from the coffee shop and ate cereal out of the cups in the room. The room had a little fridge so it worked out great and we saved a ton of money as well as time. We did have drinks and a snack at the bar on the 40th floor...great views. We both used the gym facility every day...no problems here...nice to run on the treadmill overlooking the marina. The hotel was noisy at night (could clearly hear the people next-door), but I always travel with ear plugs so I had no problems. I recommend the trolley tour of the city for about $30 that runs all day where you get on/off as you please (has a stop in Seaport Village behind the hotel). Coronado is a must-visit. The trolley tour allowed me to spend the entire day exploring the city. Overall a very pleasant stay, and I thought a great location to keep me busy all day.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Dear PhillyMissy,
We appreciate your detailed review here on TripAdvisor and are thrilled to see you enjoyed your time with us. We hope we get the chance to welcome you back to San Diego real soon!

PS- the Trolley Tour is definitely a "must" while visiting and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

The location was absolutely fantastic! The rooms were extremely clean and the view of our room was magnificent (on the harbour and US airforce aircraft carrier). We strongly suggest the buffet breakfast, which is a 10/10 (additional cost).

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends

Dear laurastellina,
We are ecstatic to hear you enjoyed your time with us in San Diego! And I'll let our Chef know that the breakfast buffet was a 10/10 - we love that rating! :)
Hope to see you back in sunny San Diego soon!

Reviewed July 7, 2011

As a Hyatt Gold Passport member I was hugely disappointed with our family's stay at this property. Outside of hotel and lobby gives you the feel of hotel majesty, then you speak with a staff member or (gulp) walk into your room and release you've been duped!

Staff is indifferent at best, consistently incompetent, and confrontational if you complain. Valet guys have no idea about things in their city like "How far is the San Diego Zoo? Can we walk? Cab? Or do we nee to drive?" A quick poll of 3 valet guys and you are searching your iPhone for Google to find out what is going on!

Rooms are in dire need of an update from worn colors everywhere, huge stains on carpets, and cracked and broken bathrooms (tiles, counters, walls). The breakfast is terrible quality and has a meager selection of hot foods. Good thing it was included in my room rate, otherwise I might have been arrested after I got the bill! Don't ask for an omelet it will be burnt I guarantee! The pool is way too small for the amount of people at the hotel and your experience will be an uncomfortable stress rather than relaxing fun.

Dear Deadpoolfla,
Sorry to hear that your stay was unsatisfactory. I have escalated your concerns to our Rooms Executive who will address your issues with our staff internally. I apologize that our bell staff was unable to assist in answering questions about the city of San Diego at large. We do have a full Concierge staff and desk designated for such inquiries. Our Concierge staff is extremely knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to the "where and when" of the city's happenings and attractions.
I have also passed along your concerns to our Food & Beverage Director so we can further look into the quality of the breakfast buffet served during the time of your stay. Many guests do consider this buffet to be of excellent quality, so I apologize you found it be subpar.
You'll also be happy to hear we are planning a room renovation for early 2012. We do hope you'll be back to see these upgrades first hand, once complete.
Again, thank you for your candid comments. We rely on our guests' feedback to continuously improve our operations and accommodations, so we thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2011

My daughter, mother-in-law, and I flew to San Diego to enjoy a few days taking in the tourist attractions. Unfortunately my daughter got very sick soon after our arrival. The front desk was amazing in arranging taxis to and from the hospital. When we returned to our room later the next day, there was a beautiful fruit basket and a get well card waiting for us - all compliments of the front desk staff. I was blown away by their caring attitude. Although we didn't get to see much of San Diego this time, I would without a doubt stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt the next time we visit. I also want to mention the delicious breakfast buffet and friendly concierge. Definitely a 5-star hotel in my opinon!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Dear Sweet16getaway,
Thank you for the nice review! I'm happy to hear we could assist you during your stay and hope your daughter is feeling MUCH better!
Please let us know next time you'll be in town - we look forward to welcoming you back.

Manchester Grand Hyatt

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We(2 adults, one 8 year old child) have been to San Diego numerous times and typically stay north of downtown in La Jolla or Del Mar. However this year we really wanted to enjoy the water on and around the city in San Diego Bay. We could not have picked a better hotel. The location is perfect for exploring all the downtown attractions as well as the water activities. Along with the cute Seaport Village, there is a beautiful marina and oceanfront sidewalk directly out the back doors of the hotel. We were on the 23rd floor and the views were amazing. The room was good sized and furnished very well with a huge flat screen TV. Be sure to ride the elevator up to the 40 floor and check out the view from there... see picture. The pool and deck is really nice, a bit crowded but it was the 4th of July weekend. Perhaps adding a lazy river or water-slide for the kids would be nice addition to the hotel. They do have an adults only pool, but did not venture over there on this trip. We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on that or the spa. The only issue we had was that the self parking was kind of expensive at $27 per night but typical for an urban hotel I suppose. Also, the self parking was full on two of the three nights we stayed, but they valet parked us for no additional charge. Overall we felt this was a great luxury hotel. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Request a room on the highest floor possible for amazing views!