“It was fine”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, CA
“It was fine”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

First let me say that the view from our room was amazing. The hotel is in a great location with beautiful scenery. This hotel was very odd because some of their employees were very nice and accommodating while others are just rude. The room service people were very nice and brought my daughter a complimentary scoop of ice cream and the cleaning lady was also very courteous. The bartenders in the hotel lobby were unprofessional jerks. We paid for valet both nights that we were there and because we weren’t in a porche the valet was less than helpful. I think if I pay 10 bucks extra to park, then you can open my door and help me with my stroller. Instead when they got our truck they parked it about a hundred yards from us and then we had to go ask for the keys to it. That’s not valet. The lobby of this hotel is beautiful. The room was fine, they were clean and the beds were comfy. The pool and the Jacuzzi were dirty. The jacuzzi was luke warm and smelt badly. However, the pool does have an amazing view. I also used the wifi, which worked well but it cost $13 a day. I thought charging for wifi was really just cheap and classless of the hotel, seriously McDonalds gives its guest free wifi.

Room Tip: hyatt gold star club gives you upgrades
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Dear corpratemomma,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled you enjoyed the service from our Room Service and Housekeeping departments but apologize the service level did not meet expectations in other areas. I have forwarded your comments along to our Food & Beverage Director and Valet Manager to ensure these issues are addressed. At Hyatt we pride ourselves in top-notch customer service and amenities and apologize we did not live up to expectations. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the view, location and room.

We do hope you'll be back to see us soon. Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Warm Regards,
Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,497)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I spent days looking at all the reviews for San Diego area hotels in search of a place to spend a few days away from the Portland rain. It was agonizing trying to choose between which area to visit and which hotel to stay at. I picked the Manchester and crossed my fingers and........it was great. We received a nice room, the staff was on the ball, and the location was perfect for a non-family, non-Sea World/Zoo, long weekend. I guess we got lucky and rcvd a "corner-king" which overlooked the bay (and air craft carrier Midway) and the downtown area.
The Manchester’s location makes it an easy walk to the Gas Lamp area and shopping as well. We didn’t have a car, so a few taxi rides were needed to get to Old Town for dinner (worth the trip) and to/from the airport ($12.00 each way). We rented bikes and took the ferry to Coronado Island one day and completely enjoyed ourselves. The hotels’ pools (one adult only) were clean and just what we were looking for.
All in all, I totally recommended the Manchester.

Room Tip: Call ahead and advise your check in time.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rustyinpdx
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I cannot say enough about the service that my boyfriend and I receive at the Manchester Hyatt San Diego. We stayed at the Manchester Hyatt in November and went back for the Easter Holiday (April 22-24, 2011). Thanks to the Hyatt we were able to have the same suite from our November trip; we really enjoyed the room and the San Diego sites. The room has great with the ocean views and flat screen TV in our bed room. We plan to go back soon because we enjoy the Hotel and the service that we received.

Room Tip: Use Hyatt Gold Passport
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
North Dakota
Reviewed April 25, 2011

A friend of mine was attending a conference for the week at the Manchester Grand Hyatt during the first weekend in April. I decided to meet her in San Diego and stay with her. She attended her conference in the mornings and we met up each afternoon.

This was my first trip to San Diego, not to mention California. Being from the Midwest, I wondered what CA would be like...all I've seen are the TV shows portraying extremes from the rich and the fabulous to lifelong hippies. This hotel helped make my stay in SoCal very satisfying.

This hotel was a very quick 10 minute trip from SAN airport. Cabs were easy to find and the moment I stepped out of the cab, I was greeted by a hotel staff member opening the door for me and directing me inside the lobby. I wasn't expecting this and didn't have a tip ready, but I honestly don't think he expected one, he was all smiles and professional looking in his suit.

I arrived before my friend did and had no issues checking in because we'd made the proper arrangements since her company was paying for the room and I was staying with her. The girl who checked me in was kind and courteous and answered all of my questions without rushing. She welcomed me to California and provided a room with a nice view. In walking to my room, I could see just how huge this hotel was. Many meeting rooms, large and small. There were several events going on at one time. The hotel public areas were always full of people and busy which made the hotel feel alive.

There were two separate elevators - one for the lower level rooms and one for the higher floors. I can't lie and say I mistook the two a couple of times, no one's fault other than my own. The floors were quiet and traditionally tasteful. Our room was a typical hotel room with two double beds, nothing fancy, but it was comfortable. Only thing I'll note about the room and floors is that I felt trays sat outside of rooms in the hallways for a rather long time - breakfast trays were still in the hallways when it was almost dinnertime. I do know that the guests should call down though to let them know to pick up the used trays.

After I checked in, I went to explore. I came from Chicago weather to San Diego weather - it was amazing. I checked out the fitness room so I knew where it was, and found the locations of the ATM, gift shop and pools. Then I ventured out the back door to find myself right in the middle of the touristy Seaport Village on the San Diego Harbor. Yes, touristy, but it was nice to have a place to walk and browse shops after my flights. There were tons of souvenir shops, many places to eat, even a Ben and Jerry's and a small cute cupcakery. This hotel is in a perfect location for this. I came down one morning to walk around the harbor and you can find other walkers and runners in the area. I especially liked the little shop selling organic/natural/local soaps and other toiletries.
On my way back, I made a reservation at a seafood house for my friend and I and headed back to the hotel for a quick workout before my friend arrived.

I really liked the workout room. It felt like a fitness center. It wasn't huge - most of the room was made up of Cybex type stations. But they did have a row of 10 treadmills and 6 elliptical machines and a small space for stretching. Also 3-4 stationery bikes. Some of the bikes and ellipticals overlooked the harbor and that was quite nice. The machines were of high quality and each had its own TV screen which I don't care to use, but a nice touch. There were plenty of towels, a fancy water cooler and even refrigerated cloths for your post-workout refreshment. I enjoyed running and ellipticalling watching the harbor!
I noticed there were even locker rooms - I think there is some sort of private fitness club you can be a member of but didn't look much into it. The women's locker room had a bathroom with showers and sauna/steam rooms.

I had to ask for directions quite a bit here. No matter where I went in the hotel, the staff was always well-dressed and they'd always smile at me or somehow acknowledge me and that is AWESOME for a hotel of this size. Sometimes the huge hotels have trouble with personal service. Even the housekeeper saw me coming back from the fitness center one morning of my stay and asked if I was sure I didn't need service. I'm pretty low maintenance and was only there a few days...I used the same towel each day and typically bring my own toiletries. She insisted that I take a couple extra towels just in case...in a polite way, so I did.

The pool decks here are a treat. There is a huge 7th floor family pool deck with beds to lay out, the pool, and two small hot tubs. Each day, I found some time to lay out and soak up the sun...I preferred to be away from most people (kids..that is), so I pulled up a lounger next to one of the hot tubs and soothed away. One day they were closing the main pool deck for an event, and a worker told me about the "spa" pool on the 3rd floor. This is a smaller deck which you need your key for and is 21+ only. YEAH! I did spend a couple hours one late morning on this deck reading a magazine.

We used the concierge services a few times and were very satisfied. We loved Phillip from Michigan - he was awesome. He had a band-aid when I hit my leg on one of the workout machines, gave us earplugs for the concert we were attending, and offered us discounted car rental service to a venue we were headed to. He told us to be careful and to check back with him the next day to make sure we were okay, as we'd be getting back from Solana Beach pretty late. We waved at him the next day and he shouted out, "thanks for checking in, looking great, ladies!". I'm sure he does this for all the ladies but it made us feel special in a lobby full of people...and it showed he cared.

Instead of running, I decided to check out one of the hotel restaurants for breakfast my last morning there, called Lael's. They had a breakfast buffet which was about $25. I'm not a heavy eater, but I felt it was totally worth it. From the nice table settings, to our nice server - I forgot his name but he was from Peru - to the fact that cream cheese and lox was available. I'm not a meat eater so it was really awesome that I could have an egg white omelet and some lox/cream cheese/capers for breakfast with fruit and a splurge on a blintz, complete with berries and sweet whipped cream. But for the meat eaters, they had tons of good looking bacon and sausage too.

Typically, when I travel, I wouldn't pay those kind of rates on a room - I typically go for mid-size, mid-price...but the company paid for this room and I enjoyed the stay immensely. If I'm ever in the area again, I'd definitely try to stay here. As huge as it was, I felt like it was an oasis on the San Diego harbor.

This hotel is also within easy walking distance of the Convention Center, the commuter train terminal (if you're headed up the coast to Solana Beach, etc) and to the Gaslight downtown district with tons of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Naomi S
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Dear cdame,
Thank you for the detailed review and nice compliments about our property. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and the customer service provided! We hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the very near future. Please stay in touch with us on our Facebook page (Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego) or Twitter (@ManchGrandHyatt) to find out about upcoming promotions and special offers.

Warm Regards,
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Great location, but request to be in the Harbor Tower if possible. It got tiring walking back & forth across the entire hotel. Sea port Village, Top of the Hyatt, & all the restaurants/shops are in or right outside of the harbor tower.
Our room was overall good. Amazing view of the city & water. The only thing was the bathroom didn't have fans to help with showers steaming up the mirrors so it delays you of getting ready or keeping the door closed. Very comfortable beds though, & very pleased with the new 40" TVs.
Best part was we got a killer deal on a room with breakfast included for $6 more a night. Very happy when we saw that it would've been $60 for two people every morning at the impressive breakfast buffet at Lael's BUT we just told them our room number :)
Can't wait for an excuse to stay again!!

• Stayed April 2011
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I stayed two nights when I was in San Diego for a professional meeting and was very pleased. The room was large and well above average in quality. I couldn't get the room safe to work, and they sent somebody to fix it right away.

The hotel is well-located by the convention center and across the street from the red car line for easy transportation. Hotel parking was very convenient.

They charge for internet access in the room. When I made the reservation, T-Mobile was still listing this as a Hotspot. As I have an account, that was an advantage. But when I checked in, I learned the T-Mobile hotspots had been disconnected.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in a Conference Suite (upgrade request at time of booking). The suite was enormous and had a full dining suite, kitchen, and a murphy bed.
The actual beds in the main room were small though - we are used to a Queen and really noticed the difference in the double. Bathrooms were well sized and towels etc were good quality. There was however lots of dust on the tv table, the side cabinet in the dining room, etc so more attention to detail needed.
We tried to connect through to the Concierge on 4 occasions, and kept getting the operator - easier to go down to the lobby for assistance.
The pool itself in the Sea Tower is very tiny relative to the size of the sunbaking area. So lots of people in a small pool and it isnt enjoyable. Plus the ground around the pool is sticky from people spilling drinks, etc.
The coffee shop was good for breakfast - Carol Ann's.
The Business Center was closed early, so we had to use the alternate computer for USD6.95 for 15 minutes!!! which is outrageous considering most hotels offer for free these days. But we were informed that the Business Center would also charge that rate.
The Fitness Center is fantastic - great equipment and a view over the harbour.
Self parking expensive at USD26 per night - honestly, why??
Oh, and our huge gripe - "Do Not Disturb" signs on all our doors, yet the maid bursts in on the first morning to ask what time we will be going out - not acceptable!!
Rooms are quite peaceful except for the freight trains through the night.
Overall we would recommend and stay again.
The Top of the Hyatt is definately worth it for a cocktail or two!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear madkat16,
Thank you for all of your candid comments. We greatly appreciate the feedback as it helps us to constantly improve operations and accommodations.
We do have another pool available on our 3rd floor of Harbor Tower, Kin Oasis. This is an adults only pool (21+) and is a good option when the 4th floor pool gets a little crowded.
I have passed along your comments to our Housekeeping manager who will follow up on the dusting issue you mentioned along with the disturbances you experienced when your "Do Not Disturb" sign was displayed.
We do find that our parking prices are competitive to others in the downtown San Diego area, but appreciate your feedback.
We are thrilled you enjoyed our StayFit gym overlooking the San Diego bay (not a bad way to work out) and our Top of the Hyatt lounge.
Again thank you for your review and we do hope you'll be back to visit us again in the near future.

Warmest Regards,