“Nice hotel to get away, even while on business”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #164 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed several nights while attending a conference at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay. I stayed in a room in the tower. The room was very comfortable and had great views of the sun setting over the bay-- absolutely beautiful. I had no complaints with the service.

Even though it was December, I enjoyed the pools and hot tub-- all were mostly empty, but I could imagine that it would get very crowded in the summer. The pool bar had good food and drinks, although typically priced for this class of hotel (mixed drinks $8 and up). I did not try the Red Marlin restaurant but a colleague who did said the food was excellent, though very expensive.

When booking this hotel, be aware of its location! As others have mentioned, although the property itself is beautiful it is not really in walking distance to much of anything. This makes it great for 'getting away from it all' but not the most ideal for tourists without a car. However, if you are like me and don't mind being adventurous, the #8 bus stops right outside the hotel and goes north to Pacific Beach, and south to Old Town. For $5 you can get an all day pass-- much cheaper than taking taxis everywhere! You can also walk from the hotel to SeaWorld-- ask the concierge to point you in the right direction. The walk is really beautiful along the bay, although you have to cross a busy highway at the end (with crosswalk and walk signal). It took me about 25 minutes each direction.

Overall I was extremely satisfied with my stay-- it really exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 6, 2010

After reading some of the reviews here, I wasn't quite sure about this hotel but booked it because of the good rates during Thanksgiving week. What a lovely surprise! Yes, some things were expensive (parking, for instance), but we had a very good time and would enjoy a return stay. Our room was in the renovated tower--quite lovely with fantastic views. The staff was unfailingly helpful and enthusiastic. You can't really walk to any attractions, but many things are a quick ride by car or taxi. And the staff will provide directions to any locale. This is a very nice business class hotel, good for family trips to San Diego, or hanging out by the pool and spa. Not a resort, but a good hotel with reasonable amenities, warm hospitality, and excellent views for travelers looking for a mix of business and pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We went to San Diego for a fun vacation before we had our first child. This hotel was awesome, however, I only gave it four stars because of the location. They told us it was within walking distance to shops and restaurants, however, it was only close to a couple of restaurants one of which was extremely pricey. We loved the hotel but did not rent a car because we were told that everything we would need was within walking distance. This is true if you wanted to go to a pricey restaurant or a bagel shop but that was it. I would recommend the hotel if you rent a car. The spa was the most amazing spa I have ever been to!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed for 3 nights recently at the Hyatt Mission Bay resort in San Diego. I wasn't sure what to expect as had read some bad reviews on this site. I guess I was pleasantly surprised - the hotel was attractive, rooms nice, clean, pretty views, and great vegetation - lovely lush greenery, well maintained. On the downside, rooms were expensive and the on-site restaurant equally so. We ate a couple of cheap fish meals at the fish-fry place within walking distance along the marina. Even the wine wasn't too bad there for $3 a glass! I didn't have time to get into the pool but it looked nice and there were some nice poolside areas. The staff was helpful and welcoming. Internet connection in the room was expensive but reliable; they had a very roomy business centre where you could print your boarding pass free - useful. their conference catering, set-up and food were all fine. Being a northerner, I enjoyed the ease of drifting from indoors to outdoors for meetings and networking. Overall, though, not sure it was worth the $200+ nightly rate and it was also out of the way, requiring a $12-15 cab ride to get anywhere in the main part of town. Morning sun glistening on the marina waters is a sight that will stay with me though!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank DLCAlberta
Reviewed November 12, 2010

My wife and spent 6 nights at this hotel. We checked in at around 6 pm and found our room to be exactly as pictured on the Website, with the bed facing the windows, which looked out on the water/marina, studded with yachts. We had several issues with the room, which we mentioned the next morning. All of the issues were taken care of right away (to our satisfaction) and on top of that, we were given a substantial discount on the first night's bill. The location could not be better - only about a mile's comfortable stroll through parkland to Sea World, right on the water with spectacular views of the sunset. We had a great balcony where we could sit with a drink and watch the sunset over the Pacific. (OK - we only glimpsed the ocean, but it was still wonderful.) We took the Old Town Trolley tour of San Diego - highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Ooskus
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Arrived on thursday night. The room was ok - though it did smell very musty. Once you were in the room for a few minutes you didn't notice the smell. The room had no dresser space. They charge for parking, internet and they don't have complimentary coffee in the morning. It was very pretty - lots of tropical plants. overall not worth the money - could have done a lot better with a Marriott.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2010

When we first pulled up I was a little worried because the buildings are pretty old, but I was pleasantlly surpirsed to see that everythign was very recently remodeled and in excellent shape. The property is beautiful and the pools are great. They have like 5 pools and 3 water slides all are heated. There was a zero depth entry pool that was great for my young daughter.

The staff were great and the service was very good. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and they were very accoomdodating.

We had two rooms in the tower facing the pools. During the week they were fine, but on the weekends we heard every sound from the peoople at the pool late at night. I was about ready to change rooms when I noticed things got quiet by Monday night. The rooms are very simple.....in good condition with flat screen TVs and balcoies and very comfortable beds and pillows. I only had two compliants besides all the noise from the pool area (which I'm listening to now as I type this).....there is not much storage and the thermostats are very inconsistent. We set both thermostats to 72 and one room was freezing cold while hte other one was really warm. The cold room wasn't hte problem....teh warm room we woudl have to set the thermostat to 60 to get it comfortable enough to sleep.

I walked as far as I could in each direction around the harbour and there isn't a single thing worth walking to and there is no where to eat off the hotel grounds besides a single hole in the wall restaurant. If you want to go anywhere you have to drive, which is pretty easy in San Diego, but I thought from the description of the hotel that the beach was only a few minutes away walking and that wasnt' the case.

For what we paid I thought it wa s good value. Just make sure you request to be opposite the pool if you don't want the noise and be prepared to drive everywhere.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family