“Great SD Home Base”

Ranked #149 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Morristown, New Jersey
“Great SD Home Base”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

When visiting the San Diego area with children you can't go wrong with the Hyatt Mission Bay. This is definitely more of a family property than a couples retreat. We reserved a deluxe ocean view room and we enjoyed our view of the pools, bay, and the Pacific. The room was spacious for a family of four. Pools were fun - especially the slides - and we enjoyed breakfast both at Einstein's Bagels and the Red Marlin. We walked to SeaWorld (it was just less than a mile along the bay) and it was a quick drive to the Wild Animal Park, the San Diego Zoo, Legoland, downtown SD, and Mission Beach. Give yourself plenty of time at check-in and check-out because long lines tend to form and the overall process is slow. Otherwise, the service was satisfactory. Be sure to roast marshmellow smores in the evenings at the fire pits on the property - kids loved it. We would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 21, 2010

The good- the staff could not be friendlier. Lots of smiles and when our phones didn't work we had help almost immediately. Yes our phones didn't work. Nor did the lamps or the light in the alcove. There were no soaps, shampoo, conditioner, in the bathroom when we arrived. When we arrived we were told that we would receive a call on our cell phone as soon as the room is ready, that never happened. Great pool for kids and you can watch a movie at night while you are in the pool if you can stand the constant wind. Food was expensive but you expect that at a resort. There is no other places to go unless you want to drive. If it wasn't for the great staff I probably would down grade the review.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Glendale
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My husband and I had a very positive experience staying at this hotel. Here are the details and some advice
Advice: consider booking from the hotel's website. We did, and found the cheapest rate of all the sites we checked. The other benefit of doing so (rather than booking on Expedia or whatever) was that we were able to SELECT, rather than request a room type (like you do on Expedia). In this way, we selected a high floor tower room with an ocean view. When we arrived at the hotel, they didn't have a room that fit what we selected so it's my understanding that because of this we were upgraded to the Hyatt Gold Passport floor (or whatever it's called) which is the highest floor other than the penthouse floor.

My other tip only applies to Costco members. If you are a Costco member you can get Hyatt gift certificates. You can buy cards in increments of $100.00, but you'll only pay $80.00. We used these certificates to pay most of our bill (for the hotel and food, etc.) saving us about 20%. If you get to the Hyatt and realize you've forgotten to do this, there's a Costco about 4 miles away. FYI: Please call to double check that they'll take the credit in case they've changed their policy! I don't want any mad Trip Advisor readers coming after me.

On to the review
Check In: Check in went smoothly (we were excited to be upgraded)
Room: Our room was in good condition and had a fabulous view. The toilet gurgled occasionally throughout the night. Other than that, no issues.
Staff: Wow! The customer service at this hotel was very nice. Everyone was very friendly and polite. I even got a book recommendation from the waitress at the pool who saw the novel I was reading and had some ideas for me. I also thought they handled the issue of not having the room we reserved ready really well. Good job Hyatt!
Noise: Our room was really quiet; we couldn't hear anyone else in adjoining rooms.
Resort Grounds/Pool: The grounds and pool were generally in good condition and very aesthetically pleasing. Even though the hotel was pretty full, we didn't have problems getting chairs by the pool. The hot tub was kind of dirty looking and bubbled ominously. We did not go in.
Food: Wow. My husband and I both travel a fair amount (him moreso than me for business) and both of us though the SWIM bar (that's the pool food) was pretty good. We had dinner at the Red Marlin restaurant and it was absolutely fabulous, but pricey. As hotel restaurants go, this is one worth checking out. That being said, teir wine list was really polarizing: some good stuff but really pricey and some stuff which was inexpensive but pretty yuck.

Other amenities, etc. The firepits outside were nice. I thought it was sweet that they brought around free popsicles at the pool (although I would have loved ice water dispensers or the distribution of iced water like they have at some Ritz Carlton properties. Sigh.) Some people have commented that this place nickles and dimes you on parking, pool towel charges (which are refundable, btw, so I don't get the problem) and other things. I priced around before booking and the Hyatt is just about even (and in some cases cheaper) than places like the Mariott and the Hilton (the Hilton is $25.00 to self park) which is just down the way. I think the prices seem reasonable _for a resort_.

All in all, we had a good visit. I think we'd feel good about coming back, but might also try another spot just to see what's out there.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, Ca.
Reviewed June 19, 2010

It's 11:30 PM, I'm laying here in bed and can't sleep because of all the screaming people outside. I even have earplugs in! We usually stay at the Catamaran, but thought we would splurge and stay st the Hyatt. What a mistake! When we got here we just wanted to hang out by the pool, but it was over crowded, bad.music, (in my opinion) and a lot of screaming kids. I love kids, but this place is like a nursery school pool. I guess it's a good place to come if you want to be with your kids, and a lot of other kids too. The pool service was good, and so were the drinks. There's not really anything in close walking distance, so we had to get our car out of valet to go have dinner. We ate at World Famous, which is always great food, and you can't beat the location. It's also right across the street from the Catamaran. When we got back to our room, I saw about 4 bugs in the bathroom. I don't mind bugs when I'm camping, but prefer not to have them in what should be a nice hotel room. We watched a movie, which drowned out the loud partying adults and kids, but now it's time to sleep, and it's still really loud. At least the people who work here are nice, but there was a line to check in, and when ever I call the front desk there's a long hold time. I think it's a staffing problem. We will never stay here again. We miss the Catamaran!

• Stayed June 2010

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency - Mission Bay for 4 nights. I was attending a conference being held at the hotel so it seemed like a good choice. It wasn't. First of all, this hotel boasts about a multi million dollar renovation. If this hotel had a multi million dollar renovation, they grossly overpaid. This is an old hotel and overall it looks like an old hotel that got a paint job. A lot about this hotel reminded me of a 1960's roadside motel.

I believe that this hotel remodeled the guest rooms with a paint job, new bedding and new carpet but they need a lot more than that. The room looks okay at first glance and I liked the white bed linens with the green accents. All the other furniture looked old. The kicker was the rooms stink. Literally, they stink. My room smelled so musty and mildewy that I was worried everything I had would absorb the odor. I opened the windows, but since there are no screens, I then had to contend with bugs. I went to another conference attendee's room in another building and that room stunk as well. I heard the same comment from several people. Honestly, I have stayed in a lot of hotels and have never experienced a hotel room stinky like this.

The bathroom was fine with a very long granite vanity and overall the room was clean. I stayed in Bay I (same building as the lobby) on the second floor. Rooms on the second floor of Bay I and Bay II do not have outdoor space. That is unless you call the open atrium area outside your door useful outdoor space. It's not.

There is a real lack of attention to detail which when all those details are added up, it gives the feel of shabbiness. An example was that there was a wire was coming directly into the room through a hole in the wall for the heater/air conditioner and it was very visible since it was a few feet up the wall. The doors to the room had been painted inside and out, but it looked like they slapped paint over them and they looked shoddy.

The walls of hotel are paper thin. Every sound traveled through the walls. I could hear everything in the room next door including the TV, the hairdryer and even talking and they weren't being loud.

The hotel landscaping is quite lush and pretty. However, there is so much that as you try and navigate the pathways, it's hard to know where you are going sometimes. Note that the location of this hotel is not ideal unless you have a car as there is very little nearby and the choices at the hotel are limited.

I found that the staff was very friendly and I had positive experiences with each person I came in contact with. I was impressed with the staff, however due to the overall condition of the hotel, I would not stay here again. I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
California
Reviewed June 11, 2010

OK, I am not a picky person. I've slept in motels, campgrounds and luxurious hotels.
My husband wanted to go back to this Hyatt, he said the hotel was great. Now, I believe he had a good memory because it was his first stay in a big hotel, paid by his employer...
At the time of the reservation, the website bragged about the millions spent on renovation. Well, I don't know exactly what has been renovated but not our room ! The door was old and didn't open/close correctly. We had to push hard either way. The sinks in the bathroom are so low. I'm quite short so it should not been a problem to me but boy, it was. There was dirt in some corners by the tub, the tiles were cracked. The faucet was leaking all day long. Towels were old and smelled funcky. The furniture was simple (which I usually like) but again old.

If I had paid less than $80 the night, I wouldn't complain but nope, it's Hyatt, so you pay way more than that. I would have expected better.

Also, the more you pay for a room, the less services you've got. "enjoy your bottle of water for $4", "enjoy your internet for $7 for 15 minutes", "enjoy your parking space for $20" (self)... This is ridiculous !

But OK the pool area was nice and we enjoyed the fireplace.

We had guests visiting us from Europe and they weren't impressed...
I've stayed many times in San Diego and won't be back. I really enjoyed my stay at the Best Western 7 seas, for less...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Brea, California
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My Husband and I and our 3 kids decided to go to San Diego over Memorial Day weekend and go to sea world. Wanted something on Mission Bay close to Sea World. We Have stayed at Hyatts before and loved them but this one was a HUGE diappointment!! 1st it took us 40 mins to check in (an there wasn't even a wait I walked right up to the counter), the room was not at all what I expected for the price and it being a newly remodeled Suite. The couch was so dirty no one wanted to sit on it, The lamp shades where stained and shower curtin had yellow stains on it, the windows were dirty as was the shower. The picture on there website not what we stayed in. We were suppose to have turn down service and extra linen for our stay that didn't happen and I had to call 3 times to get blankets. $20.00 for parking WOW!!! and there is a $25.00 chg for each pool towel (This will be credit back at the end of your stay if you turn back to the frint desk each pool/towel card). With our stay we rec'd 2 free breakfest for each nights stay @ the Marlin Rest. Food was really Good but the service not so great when I gave the waiter the letter for 2 free breakfest he said that I will need to go the the front desk when I check out and they will take it off my bill!! That should not be my job. I did call the front desk and they said the sever should have taken it off but they will do it, well they must have said something to the waiter cause the next day we got the same waiter and the service was slow and he couldn't care a bit for helping us everyone else came first, I also heard the waiter talking to the mgr. telling him I called the front desk the day before and complained, so I walked over and explained to him why I called. how rude he was!! I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends. They say they did a $65 milion dollar renovation more like a make over and cutting alot of corners and putting in cheap stuff. Housekeeping Mgr should take a closer look at how the rooms are and are NOT being cleaned. Also No Disney or cartoon Channel!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family