Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
$470
$329
  • Restaurant
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$289
$231
$232
$151
  • Breakfast included
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$153
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$206
  • Beachfront
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$287
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$216
3,715 results
All reviewsred marlinmission bayregency clubsea worldswim barwaterfront suitetower roompool areasea lionsoverlooking the marinafire pitbelmont parkfamily vacationla jollapoolsseaworlddowntown
Reviewed May 8, 2005

Just got back from a stay at the Hyatt Islandia in San Diego stayed 3 nights the first week of May 05. $114/night through Hotwire. Others got a better deal through Priceline it looks like. Lesson learned there is to wait as long as possible if you want to get a lower rate. Anyway....on to the review.

I would give this hotel 3.5 stars on a 5 star scale. Upon check in immediately requested a Tower Room based on reviews on this site. I was granted one on the 3rd floor tower and was told it would cost extra to stay any higher. Whether that was BS or not I will never know. Overall, I thought the staff was pretty good, helpful and courteous.

The room I stayed in was satisfactory to us. It had a double queens with a balcony. Room size I thought was better than a normal hotel in its class. The small balcony was a nice touch. I didn't have the problems with cleaniness that others have posted.

We have breakfast one morning at the restaurant in the tower. I thought the food was excellent, but pretty pricey for a breakfast. Overall, worth it. The more expensive restaurant located on the hotel grounds, I didn't experience. The hostess was pretty rude when we entered near the end of Sunday brunch. I see others had similar concerns.

Pool and Jacuzzi area I thought were excellent and pretty quiet during my stay. This was definitely an older crowd at this hotel, not many families that I saw.

Internet terminal in the lobby is $4.95 minimum, pretty pricey for one person for checking email, but not bad for two people. I think $4.95 got you 12 minutes or so. There is only one terminal, so for non business travelers w/o their laptop, this could be an issue during peak periods.

Location was pretty decent, close to bus stop into the city and close to the freeway. It was in a quiet marina area, no problems with noise during our stay. Parking is $10/day, which I guess is status quo for hotels in this area.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for the $120/night and lower. Their website quotes prices at $175+, which is overpriced.

8  Thank cb35
Reviewed May 7, 2005

You will be dissapointed if you expect fancy modern hotel. the hotel is old and may need some renovation work here and there. But the location is awesome and is close to just about all the main attactions in San Diego area. Has a really nice harbor view and mission bay is just around the corner. I stayed in this hotel for three days via Priceline booking. I read some review before and some were a little negative on the hotel so I went in with not much of an expectation. Overall I enjoyed the stay here and would recommend it to anyone who is visiting San Diego area..

3  Thank JonMilpitas
A TripAdvisor Member
NJ
Reviewed May 2, 2005

Booked via PRICELINE ($82 per night)and then upgraded to the REGENCY CLUB ($50 per night additional but well worth it for our family of 4).

Older property in a great area ( Mission Bay) that was centrally located to everything we wanted to do in San Diego ( zoo, Sea World, Coronado, La Jolla, Old Town, Balboa Park, Downtown).

The hotel itself is in need of some gentle upkeep ( paint, plumbing, etc) but was by no means dirty or run down. Lush grounds and be sure to stay in the main tower ( 5th floor or higher).

I would hesitate paying more then $ 150 but the rooms were large ( 2 quuen beds with balcony) and would try again here if I got a good deal.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2005

First of all, we were there for a conference that my husband was attending, so the hotel was chosen for us. We stayed at Hyatt Islandia in MIssion Bay. A nice location right on the bay, a marina on one side, close to Belmont Park & the beach & "boardwalk" area.

The hotel room wasn't ready when we arrived at 3:15 so we went for a ride & some lunch/supper (it was 6:15 "our time" so we were hungry). Returned to the hotel a littel before 5 and were told the room still wasn't ready so they offered us an upgrade to a Marina Suite. While we were debating the relative merits of taking a suite, the original room became available, but the offer was still out there, so we took it! Had a bedroom w/2 queen beds, TV, a patio w/2 chairs overlooking the marina, a little wet bar area, and a living room w/TV, table, chairs & sofa/pull out bed. Decor a bit shabby, the sofa was uncomfortable to sit on to watch TV, but we were hardly in the room so it wasn't a big deal. What a kick to sit on the patio and see pelicans and a seal or two poking around the boats in the marina! They nickel & dime you to death there, however. $10 a night to self park (altho' we did have under the bldg. parking, which was great when it was raining) and $20 night for internet connection! Business travelers have come to expect WiFi at the better hotels (think Omni), not that price for a dialup connection!

The bathroom lighting should have been better - kind of hard to put on even the little bit of makeup I use with the lighting provided! Even the connecting area where the wet bar and another counter with 3 mirrors were poorly lit. They have a "thing" they do there to save water - they say they'll only change your towels and linens every three days to conserve water (save our planet) unless you call and tell them no thanks. I certainly did call and say we wanted fresh towels daily, thank you very much. We've been on a couple of cruises where they do something similar (there's a REAL need to save water in their case), but they do it in a better way...they say if you want the towels refreshed, leave the used ones on the floor, otherwise hang them back on the rack to dry if you plan to reuse. I think that's more user-friendly than making a customer call to say they want clean towels.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel. It's a nice location, close to the beaches and the highway both, and the facilities seemed very nice. We did not use the pool, but they have a small sandy area with chaise lounges they call a "beach" for those that want some sun with no water. it's not really a beach, but you get the same effect for sunbathing. Breakfast at the Blue Bay in the hotel was good - we had the breakfast buffet which was standard hotel buffet stuff - scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, fruit, bacon, sausage, french toast, biscuits, gravy, syrup (I think I'm leaving something out, but can't remember what). We did not have any other meals than breakfast there (I ordered an omelet off the menu one morning, it was very good).

We tried to go to the Islandia Grille on the Thursday night around 9:30pm...hours on the door said open 'til 10:30 but all the doors were locked. We just wanted maybe an appetizer and a drink at the bar. A bartender came out and said they were closed. Hmmm...was that a management decision or just the bartender's choice??? We did enjoy a drink in the Towers Lounge a couple of evenings...comfortable chairs and loveseats to sit in and chat, and a decent sized bar if you wanted to sit there. No food (at least not that we saw).

Front desk staff were very nice, concierge was knowledgeable and the bell captain was great for giving us directions to Petco Park (to see the Padres).

2  Thank FandE401
A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed May 1, 2005

Drove in from Phoenix for a weekend at Sea World. The Valet was very nice. The Bellmen, Fabio and the other gentlemen were amazing. Dennis at the front desk was very nice as well. Then we go to our rooms....(both in the tower thanks to dennis). Rooms were DIRTY. Trash had not been removed from prior guests, looked under bed for lost shoe and found it hadn't been vaccuumed in quite some time, crumbs on one of the bed's spread along with a hair pin, junk left by the air vent, plexiglass around the patio room was filthy (not just water spots). There was mold on both shower curtains and the shower drain doesn't drain, so you get a shower and a bath at the same time...Gross!! People we met in the Pool/Jacuzzi were having same challenges and complaining that they would not bring towels to the pool for us at 10P.

Good points...The grounds were well kept, the food was very good, the bunny is cute and the Koi are nice to watch. We only paid $79 per night thru Priceline. If we had paid $200 or more per night, I would have requested a refund or a discount. This is NOT how a four star hotel operates. We travel to serveral hotels/resorts per year...definitely stayed at nicer MOTELS!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member