“Great Hotel!”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #148 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed March 21, 2005

We had a wonderful experience at Islandia! My husband and I extended our business trip a few days to enjoy the beautiful area. We had easy access to many of the San Diego activities, without the noise and congestion of downtown, but are still close to it. The resort feel was relaxing and the tower rooms had a great view! I recommend it and will be back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 8, 2005

We booked this hotel from an internet deals list that had many choices including Hotel Circle, Downtown, Old Town and Pacific Beach. I was skeptic after reading some of the reviews, but once we got there we were so glad we had selected this location. We would not have been happy with the other hotels we visited that were on the list. The view of the bay, ocean and Mission Bay Park from the tower was excellent. The location was outstanding -- near beaches, downtown, old town and hilltop scenic routes. Staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and spacious. Parking rate wasn't too unreasonable considering I just returned from San Francisco whose hotel charged $40 a day to park. While I'm not sure what our room rate was since we booked a package -- however for us -- air, hotel and car @ $700 per person from the east coast for 5 days was well worth it. While it may not be a true 4 star resort it is at least a 3 1/2, but the rainbow we saw every morning and the sunset we saw every evening from our balcony made it a 5 star trip to us. Will visit again.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Victorville, Ca
Reviewed March 1, 2005

We took a trip for a girls weekend out and stayed in this hotel. It was great. The second we walked into the lobby to check in we were treated like queen's. The entire staff was friendly and took time out to answer any questions we had. The hotel is in San Deigo but the grounds were so nice you felt like you were in Hawaii. It was very tropical. The pool was heated and clean. The spa was huge and very clean as well. Our room was awesome. This is the first hotel that I have slept in where the bed was great. The bed was soft, and so were the pillows. The room was very clean. We had a great view of all the docked boats, and we were surrounded by water. At night we left our sliding door open and we can here all of the seals playing right outside. We got a newspaper on our door step every morning. The room service was fast and good. We ate breakfast at one of the hotel resturants and it was not very good, but the service was great. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone. It is also a great place for families with children. This hotel made a weekend vacation one of the best vacations I have ever taken.

3 Thank christina260
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 21, 2005

I got a decent deal on Priceline, but the hotel is nowhere near a four star. I agree with a previous poster..the front desk staff is cold at best. Possibly rude. The pool area is very nice, but the rooms and lobby are very average. I found the rest of the staff to be very pleasant. My room was clean. Beware, the priceline "garden" room I recieved was right over the main check in area and I could hear car doors opening and shutting all night. Also, the airplane traffic can be a bit loud. I can't imagine paying full price for this hotel. Unless you really want to be close to Sea World, there are many other good hotels to choose from.

Oh, I forgot..I got a call from the front desk saying, "can you please come down to the front desk because we forgot to make an imprint of your credit card?" I replied that I was working and they could come up and get it. The front desk person seemed put out by the request.

Would not go back again.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank erinb007
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed February 18, 2005

Room: space and décor
The room is quite large and the décor is fairly current. The bathroom fixtures seemed to be quite recently installed, and included a granite vanity, white tile and a shower. I personally like having such a large shower, but if you are a bath person, or have kids who like to take baths, it might be an issue. I suspect that being a beach-oriented hotel, they probably found the shower to be more practical. The furniture looked to be new, and was quite contemporary looking – generally the same I’ve seen in other Hyatts. The balcony was showing its age with some dirt and water stains, but was certainly fine to sit and enjoy the view.

Room: Cleanliness
I found the room to be acceptably clean. There were some “marks” on the toilet. They might have actually been from a crayon, since they were blue. There was quite a bit of dust and some pieces of trash underneath the bed. Other than that, the room was clean. The maid service was good – they picked up all the bits of food and trash that my toddler left behind.

Room: Amenities (TV, Coffee, desk, view, couch, chair, etc).
All of the standard amenities were present: a comfortable sitting chair, a desk and chair, comfortable king sized bed, TV, remote and coffee maker. Our tower room also had a balcony with great view of the hotel pool and grounds, mission bay, mission beach and Pacific Ocean. We had wonderful views of the sunsets.

Hotel: Amenities (Restaurant, room service, workout facilities, pool, transportation)
I ate at the “Blue Bay California Bistro” for dinner during my stay. Then menu featured a wide variety of American and Mexican-influenced food. The waiter was quiet, but attentive. The décor was pleasing and relaxing. I especially liked the cobalt-blue lampshades on the accent lights over each table.

The Tower’s Lounge is a fun place to get a drink. The waitress was quite conversational and friendly. The bartender wasn’t overly generous on pour of my Bushmill’s – it was a little on the short side, but I still enjoyed the few minutes I spent there.

I made use of the hot tub on one night. The water was warm, but a little cooler than I would prefer. Its large enough that it doesn’t feel crowded, and I had some nice conversation with some of the other guests.

Hotel: Décor
Generally, the décor of the indoor public spaces was pleasant, but a little dated. Hallways seemed to need a little refreshment. The lobby furniture seemed a bit worn. Much of the interior and exterior of the complex looked a little 70’s due to the extensive use of pre-fabricated concrete forms. Coupled with the islands-themed landscaping, it reminded me of the Polynesian and Contemporary Resorts at Walt Disney World in Orlando. Since that brings back pleasant memories of my childhood, I can’t really complain! The grounds and landscaping were quite well kept up.

Hotel: Location
The Islandia is in an excellent, central location for a trip to San Diego. Many people have pointed out its proximity to Sea World, which is certainly true. Its proximity to I-8 and I-5 make it a breeze to get anywhere else in San Diego, especially Old Town, Mission Valley and Downtown. Mission Beach is only minutes a way going west.

Hotel: Staff – courtesy, attitude and promptness
Check in was handled swiftly. Every employee made an effort to smile and say hello during my stay. We had been billed for a water we didn’t drink, and the checkout clerk credited us for the charge and actually complimented me for checking the bill carefully.

Value/overall impressions:
I have to say that after reading many of the reviews I was really skeptical about the hotel. After staying there, I really find myself wondering if either some people were unduly critical, or if the hotel has made some recent changes or upgrades. I felt that the $75.00 Priceline rate was a fantastic value, and I would be even prepared to pay up to $150.00 given the location and amenities of the hotel.

9 Thank ChicagoBearsFan650
Michigan
Reviewed February 12, 2005

I recently received an email from Hyatt Regency. As a Gold Passport Mermber I had not stayed at a Hyatt property for some time because of past disappointments. The email was urging me to try Hyatt hotels again. I decided to give them a try. What a mistake!

I made a reservation at this hotel, The Islandia in San Diego. Pre-paid for a weekend and paid to upgrade to a room with a Marina view and king bed. I arrived at the hotel at 7:30 PM. I was told that they did not have any king beds left. So I accepted a room with 2 queen beds. The 12th floor hallways were in desperate need of rework as the wallpaper was coming loose or was torn in many places. When I got into my room I discovered that the "upgraded marina view" I had paid for was a view of the parking lot and parking structure. If I craned my head a certain way I could see the marina. Several of the outlets in the room were cracked and I was afraid to try plugging anything into them. The wallpaper and furniture were overdue for updating. The desk was rickety with age. I had to pull it away from the wall to discover the outlets that were attached to the desk itself.

It rained all weekend so cabs were in short supply and the hotel did not offer a shuttle to the immediate area, So I ate in the restaurant 3 times. The servers would drop the food and never check back to see if I was satisfied. Never once did anyone thank me for my patronage, and the crowning mistake in my book -- they missed my wake up call which almost caused me to miss my return flight home. Gold Passport or not, I'm done with Hyatts.

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank MrBillMi

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Reviewed January 26, 2005

Stayed at this hotel on 1/16-1/18/05. This hotel was definitely a disappointment and should not have a 4 star rating. Our room, although large and clean, was very ordinary and did not have any extra amentity (i.e. shower cap and body lotion) as expected. Generally hotel just felt worn and needs to be updated. Requested a room on a high floor but was given the fourth floor (unless we agreed to pay for an upgrade $30 more).

Parking was relatively cheap...only $10 for self park.

• Stayed January 2005