“very average hotel”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #165 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 21, 2005

I got a decent deal on Priceline, but the hotel is nowhere near a four star. I agree with a previous poster..the front desk staff is cold at best. Possibly rude. The pool area is very nice, but the rooms and lobby are very average. I found the rest of the staff to be very pleasant. My room was clean. Beware, the priceline "garden" room I recieved was right over the main check in area and I could hear car doors opening and shutting all night. Also, the airplane traffic can be a bit loud. I can't imagine paying full price for this hotel. Unless you really want to be close to Sea World, there are many other good hotels to choose from.

Oh, I forgot..I got a call from the front desk saying, "can you please come down to the front desk because we forgot to make an imprint of your credit card?" I replied that I was working and they could come up and get it. The front desk person seemed put out by the request.

Would not go back again.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank erinb007
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Mission Bay

Reviewed February 18, 2005

Room: space and décor
The room is quite large and the décor is fairly current. The bathroom fixtures seemed to be quite recently installed, and included a granite vanity, white tile and a shower. I personally like having such a large shower, but if you are a bath person, or have kids who like to take baths, it might be an issue. I suspect that being a beach-oriented hotel, they probably found the shower to be more practical. The furniture looked to be new, and was quite contemporary looking – generally the same I’ve seen in other Hyatts. The balcony was showing its age with some dirt and water stains, but was certainly fine to sit and enjoy the view.

Room: Cleanliness
I found the room to be acceptably clean. There were some “marks” on the toilet. They might have actually been from a crayon, since they were blue. There was quite a bit of dust and some pieces of trash underneath the bed. Other than that, the room was clean. The maid service was good – they picked up all the bits of food and trash that my toddler left behind.

Room: Amenities (TV, Coffee, desk, view, couch, chair, etc).
All of the standard amenities were present: a comfortable sitting chair, a desk and chair, comfortable king sized bed, TV, remote and coffee maker. Our tower room also had a balcony with great view of the hotel pool and grounds, mission bay, mission beach and Pacific Ocean. We had wonderful views of the sunsets.

Hotel: Amenities (Restaurant, room service, workout facilities, pool, transportation)
I ate at the “Blue Bay California Bistro” for dinner during my stay. Then menu featured a wide variety of American and Mexican-influenced food. The waiter was quiet, but attentive. The décor was pleasing and relaxing. I especially liked the cobalt-blue lampshades on the accent lights over each table.

The Tower’s Lounge is a fun place to get a drink. The waitress was quite conversational and friendly. The bartender wasn’t overly generous on pour of my Bushmill’s – it was a little on the short side, but I still enjoyed the few minutes I spent there.

I made use of the hot tub on one night. The water was warm, but a little cooler than I would prefer. Its large enough that it doesn’t feel crowded, and I had some nice conversation with some of the other guests.

Hotel: Décor
Generally, the décor of the indoor public spaces was pleasant, but a little dated. Hallways seemed to need a little refreshment. The lobby furniture seemed a bit worn. Much of the interior and exterior of the complex looked a little 70’s due to the extensive use of pre-fabricated concrete forms. Coupled with the islands-themed landscaping, it reminded me of the Polynesian and Contemporary Resorts at Walt Disney World in Orlando. Since that brings back pleasant memories of my childhood, I can’t really complain! The grounds and landscaping were quite well kept up.

Hotel: Location
The Islandia is in an excellent, central location for a trip to San Diego. Many people have pointed out its proximity to Sea World, which is certainly true. Its proximity to I-8 and I-5 make it a breeze to get anywhere else in San Diego, especially Old Town, Mission Valley and Downtown. Mission Beach is only minutes a way going west.

Hotel: Staff – courtesy, attitude and promptness
Check in was handled swiftly. Every employee made an effort to smile and say hello during my stay. We had been billed for a water we didn’t drink, and the checkout clerk credited us for the charge and actually complimented me for checking the bill carefully.

Value/overall impressions:
I have to say that after reading many of the reviews I was really skeptical about the hotel. After staying there, I really find myself wondering if either some people were unduly critical, or if the hotel has made some recent changes or upgrades. I felt that the $75.00 Priceline rate was a fantastic value, and I would be even prepared to pay up to $150.00 given the location and amenities of the hotel.

9  Thank ChicagoBearsFan650
Reviewed February 12, 2005

I recently received an email from Hyatt Regency. As a Gold Passport Mermber I had not stayed at a Hyatt property for some time because of past disappointments. The email was urging me to try Hyatt hotels again. I decided to give them a try. What a mistake!

I made a reservation at this hotel, The Islandia in San Diego. Pre-paid for a weekend and paid to upgrade to a room with a Marina view and king bed. I arrived at the hotel at 7:30 PM. I was told that they did not have any king beds left. So I accepted a room with 2 queen beds. The 12th floor hallways were in desperate need of rework as the wallpaper was coming loose or was torn in many places. When I got into my room I discovered that the "upgraded marina view" I had paid for was a view of the parking lot and parking structure. If I craned my head a certain way I could see the marina. Several of the outlets in the room were cracked and I was afraid to try plugging anything into them. The wallpaper and furniture were overdue for updating. The desk was rickety with age. I had to pull it away from the wall to discover the outlets that were attached to the desk itself.

It rained all weekend so cabs were in short supply and the hotel did not offer a shuttle to the immediate area, So I ate in the restaurant 3 times. The servers would drop the food and never check back to see if I was satisfied. Never once did anyone thank me for my patronage, and the crowning mistake in my book -- they missed my wake up call which almost caused me to miss my return flight home. Gold Passport or not, I'm done with Hyatts.

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank MrBillMi
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed January 26, 2005

Stayed at this hotel on 1/16-1/18/05. This hotel was definitely a disappointment and should not have a 4 star rating. Our room, although large and clean, was very ordinary and did not have any extra amentity (i.e. shower cap and body lotion) as expected. Generally hotel just felt worn and needs to be updated. Requested a room on a high floor but was given the fourth floor (unless we agreed to pay for an upgrade $30 more).

Parking was relatively cheap...only $10 for self park.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 20, 2005

We booked through priceline and were pleasantly surprised when we were allocated the hyatt regency.
At the hotel we had a large room in the tower which was clean, well furnished and had delightful views across the water. Bathroom was a bit old fashioned but nothing to complain about. Food was expensive as was the lobby internet. As we didn't have a car we found the hotel somewhat isolated, half way between downtown and the beach.
If you want to be critical you could say the hotel was so big as to be a bit impersonal and lacking in atmosphere.
However, we enjoyed our stay here and certainly found the accommodations to be of a better standard than some of the previous reviews would suggest.

2  Thank NIrishtraveler
Reviewed January 9, 2005

Our stay was very mixed. The room was very nice and everything we expected for a 3 star hotel. Only one problem, this was a 4 star hotel that priceline had sold us. The rooms were very plain and nothing really stuck out about them compared to a Holiday Inn.

A majority of the front desk employees were VERY RUDE from the minute we checked in until we checked out. On our first day, I was given the option of $14(valet) or $10(self park) a day for parking. I asked if there was free parking and was rudely greeted with "Sir, if you do not want to pay for parking, you should choose a different hotel." Upon checkout, I decided to just pay cash to cover the costs that were not included with my priceline bid.(Parking). The manaager on duty was not happy with us pay cash and asked "why cant you pay with your credit card? Paying with cash is extra work and I have to find change."

The concierge & valet employees were outstanding. Extremely friendly, helpful, and quick. Great Service.

Bar & Restaraunt. Food was nothing great, not overly expensive.

3  Thank Scott A
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 20, 2004

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever been to. It was old, dirty, and down right ugly. Our room was dated and bland. We immediately found some type of bug on the desk and were horrified! We refused to unpack, informed the front desk, reserved another hotel, argued with management and left. The staff didn't understand why we were so troubled by finding a bug. While my husband looked for another hotel, I waited on the balcony with old chairs and a table. We were so happy to leave to our old faithful Prava hotel. Thank you Prava for finding us a room so last minute on a friday evening.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member