“Little slice of heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #145 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Little slice of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Walked into a piece of Heaven on Earth, greeted by Solange who was pleasant and attentive and upgraded me to a suite overlooking San Diego's historic Mission Bay and the ocean!! Sweeping views and a clean and bright room made for a peaceful stay here on San Diegos coastline. Have not been to a nicer place anywhere since Key West, Florida in 1991. Walking into the front lobby I was greeted by Duane, who was working as a Valet I believe but I ended up talking to him like we were friends all our lives! We chatted for almost a half hour about life and he made me feel like I was home when home was 3500 miles away! Every face there, even the prospective employees there for a function (I think) were happy and smiling and even said hi to me! Its very rare that you find that every level of attention to detail is covered but this hotel had its ducks in a row and I honestly cant wait to go back there! Thanks to all of those incredible people who made the end of my trip ( Was in Santa Barbara for a wedding the day before) memorable.

Room Tip: Priceline.com but the rooms overlooking the west were the best
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Cam F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chula Vista, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

First, do not book this hotel if you are driving in without a GPS device. Even for someone like myself who's lived in the area for over 30 years, it's hard to get around without a GPS. It is 17 stories high so it is easy to see from the distance, but the streets are not straightforward.
The bed was comfortable and the room was nice except for the one little silverfish in the bathroom(on the 14th floor). The view from the upper floors is excellent. Ask for a room facing SEAWORLD if you want to watch the fireworks there during the summer.
See the link below for dates and times of fireworks:

I didn't use the internet because I didn't want to pay $9.95 for 24 hours of only STANDARD service. I called the front desk to see if the company was paying for our internet. The front desk gal said no and I didn't find out until the day we were leaving that the company had paid for our internet.
The worst part for me was the parking fee. There is NO OVERNIGHT street parking in the area. Gee, I wonder how that happened. So they soak you for $29.00 per night for SELF parking that isn't even covered.
Except for the bagel place on-site, the nearest fast-food is a mile away.
We didn't use the pool, but it looked nice.

Room Tip: In the summer get a room facing Seaworld for the nightly fireworks. See link to schedule above.
Green Features: I saw one inconspicuous recycling bin near the back entrance to the lobby. Otherwise, NOTHING. I took my recycling home to make sure.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

3 stars for service-fine but nothing notably outstanding and calling to front desk or concierge was a wait. 3 stars for room- cool outdoor fire pit/private patio, room was modern in parts and ignored in other parts (old doors/walls/bathroom fixtures/ac, and rusty pipes showing in bathroom), LOUD through walls/ceiling (hear every foot step, shower, etc). 3.5 stars for location-very pretty in bay with water and boats but no beach access, also nothing very close by for shops, restaurants (about a mile walk). 3 stars for hotel amenities- nice gym, no free breakfast, no free wifi, nice pool but too crowded.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Fresno, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

We reserved 2 suites for a family vacation to Sea World. This is great place to stay with kids. The large room was comfortable, and the kids loved playing in the many pools with the water slides. There is even a small slide for the younger kids.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Helendale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

The tower rooms were good, ocean view was gorgeous. If you can't get a tower room - go somewhere lease. The food at the Red Marlin was excellent, the chef did a great job meeting my dietary needs. Charlie was very good, but Nick was slow an inattentive. They charge an automatic 26% for a group of 6 or more. $30 per night for parking.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Front Desk: Hello

Us: Hi, we just checked into our room and discovered a pair of dirty mens underwear hanging from a hook in the bathroom. Can you please have someone come up here and remove them?

Front Desk: Oh, I'm sorry about that. We'll have someone come up right away.

[Two hours later]

Front Desk: Hello

Us: Yes, we called two hours ago about there being strange dirty men's underwear from a previous guest hanging on a hook in our bathroom, housekeeping hasn't removed them yet.

Front Desk: We are so sorry. Someone will be up there right away.

20 minutes later

Hotel Staff: [removing the underwear] We are so sorry this happened. Is there anything we can do to make the rest of your trip more enjoyable? Can we offer you a bottle of wine for your room.

Us: Yes, that would be great.

Staff: Red or white?

Us: A bottle of white please.

The bottle of wine never arrived. The End.

More episodes from our stay include:
The room key that stopped working, security refusing to let us into the room because of a credit card issue (that turned out to be nothing, their mistake). An hour trying to get back into our room.

The angry guest a the pool who insisted that we removed his personal items from a chaise lounge and "stole" his chair. Constant harassment from this deranged guest. Crowded pool area without sufficient space creating a hostile environment. Hotel staff less than capable of dealing with the situation.

Wifi that the bellhop said was free "even though it looks you're going to be charged when you login, it's included in your room." But wasn't.

And more...

Extremely expensive food and drinks
Long lines at the front desk
Rooms not ready
Along the flight path of San Diego International

We were looking forward to this getaway, but all we wanted to do once we were there was get away from this hotel. Our room was nice, great view, good location and despite the bad service, the staff was actually very friendly. We think they were just not trained well, or managed poorly. There are better hotel options in San Diego, The Catamaran for starters. Couldn't wait to check out.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower are remodeled. North side faces the pool which could be noisy on a low level...
2 Thank Jim D
Kendra S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Jim D,

We appreciate your willingness to share this feedback. I am so sorry to hear about the issues you encountered throughout your stay. Our management team will work to to address these concerns and to ensure that future guests do not experience the challenges that you have described.

Again, we truly appreciate your feedback and value your loyalty to Hyatt. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you expect from the Hyatt during your next stay in San Diego.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband, toddler son, and I checked in on Wednesday, May 14 and stayed through the weekend. I will begin with the upside - location and room layout. The hotel itself is very close to San Diego attractions (but most hotels in SD are as it is not an enormous town). We stayed in a waterfront suite which included two rooms with a door between - perfect for parents with a toddler.

The gentleman that checked us in seemed inexperienced and needed more training (he had difficulty with my credit card, I had to guide him in what to do). I had asked for a crib ahead of our arrival which I was told was in the room. Given construction, we had to walk through various inner workings of the hotel (including the laundry room and security area) to get to our room. I asked the bell person to please check on the crib. Evening comes around, no crib. I called and asked for the crib and for extra toiletries - neither of which arrived a few hours later. Finally, after a nasty call to the front desk, both appear.

The room itself was musty and dank. It was a hot day and the air conditioning had not been fully functioning. We called to ask about this later in the evening and were told that engineering was gone for the day but they would arrive in the morning. They did not - we called again. By the time they arrived, we realized that none of the slats were open on the ac units. My husband fixed this while standing on a chair. Although the ac got mildly better (never to the level of what you would expect from a good hotel), the musty smell never evaporated. The furniture was beat up and seemed like it might have been in a college dorm room. The carpets were sticky. The bedding had seen its better days.

We enjoyed being able to look out over the marina but unfortunately our balcony, with a big no smoking sign on it, had cigarette butts all over it. A simple hose down once in awhile would take care of this and make the room much more charming.

The pool area was the pits in terms of cleanliness. It had a lot going for it for kids - good amount of space, waterslides, etc. However, it was overcrowded for the size and I can't help but think there were many people there that were not hotel guests. On our first morning at the pool, we noticed a good deal of bird poop floating in one of the pools. Nothing was being done. One lifeguard showed up at 10:00 am. I asked him if someone could be called and he said he just noticed it. He then poured some sort of fluid over it. The entire pool area became filthier and filthier throughout the day. There was no cleaning crew and there seemed to be only one lifeguard for all three pools (and one hot tub). We were always the first to arrive in the mornings and there was never a cleaning crew - at all. When we returned home, both my husband and son had nagging coughs.

One last upside - the restaurant. If only the rest of the hotel had staff that seemed to care as much as the restaurant crew, it would be a much nicer hotel. All of the breakfast waiters and waitresses were wonderful and efficient.

If the Hyatt Mission Beach asserted itself as an average mid-level hotel or upscale motel, the cleanliness and lack of care from the staff would be fine. However, it bills itself as a resort and charges a hefty $20 resort fee plus $29 for self-parking! Yes, $29 for self-parking! Never heard of it. Even if you book at what you think is a reasonable rate, keep in mind that you can stay at a much nicer, more upscale property after the outrageous fees are tacked on.

Hyatt, please ask your employees to at least to pick up the plethora of beer cans left around various parts of the hotel - you can do a little better.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
1 Thank freqtrav88
Dear freqtrav88,

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate your comments. I regret to learn that you experienced several issues during your stay and would like to offer our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced. I have shared your comments with our Service Support Team and will ensure we address these concerns.