“Dissapointing”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #165 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This facility is set on a pretty Marina. Unfortunately it goes downhill from there. For a Hyatt, customer service is poor. When I arrived, they told me that the room was not ready but would be ready soon. I waited for an hour but the room was still not ready. Then they said they would call me. They never called. I had to call them back an hour and a half later before they finally said the room was ready. When I got to the room the lights did not not work and the sink did not work either the furniture was also very dirty. When I called to let them know about these problems I was put on hold and then disconnected 3 times.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Mission Bay

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This was my first time in San Diego. I was staying at a CourtYard by Marriott when I switched to this one to see what it was like (big mistake). First of all, it feels like you have to hike across the parking lot a couple blocks away to get to the hotel. Or you can pay for valet. After you check in, your rushed to get back out to the parking lot to put your parking sticker in your vehicle before it gets towed.
I was offered a room overlooking the pool (sounded nice). First trip to the room, my key didn't work. Had to pull all my luggage back down to the front desk. When I got to the room on the 4th floor (around 9:30PM) I could hear kids screaming in the pool! I called the front desk to be switch to another room, but the manager told me he had nothing available (when 5 minutes earlier I was offered a room overlooking the docks). He said they would send security to have the kids stop screaming so loud. I'm all for kids having fun, but not screaming at night. This went on until 11PM!
The toilet in the bathroom kept running all night. I just shut the door to the bathroom, I didn't want maintenance people coming to my room in the middle of the night. I also had to pay the $50 for parking and resort fee per day. I ate at the restaurant by the hotel, which had a very limited menu. It is a really nice place, but I have had better seafood. I got the feeling that if I didn't own one of the boats in the harbor, I was not rich enough to be in there.
The hotel overall looks great. Rooms have a nice setup. I paid more for what I thought was going to be a nice quiet relaxing hotel. Turned out to be a bad experience. I surely will not be staying at this hotel if I return to San Diego.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank jimi444
Kendra S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear jimi444,

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay. I regret to learn that you experienced some challenges with your room assignment, the room key and the toilet in your room, but I certainly appreciate your feedback. I would like to offer you an apology for any inconvenience you experienced. Please note this is not indicative of the experience we strive to provide and I hope you will give us another opportunity during your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed at the Mission Bay Hyatt Regency for a conference in April 2014. I should say up front that I am not a big fan of large chain hotels in relatively isolated areas. I am not the target market for this type of hotel, and always have mixed feelings about conference hotels.

The positives:
- Location is attractive – right on Mission Bay and one mile from the beach

- Rooms are large

- My room had a view of the marina and downtown San Diego

- The hotel is well maintained

- Pool area is large, with several pools and even some waterslides

- Front desk clerks were able to fix a minor problem with my reservation, and were professional

The negatives:
- Hotel is near Mission Bay, but not near anything else. If you don’t have a car, there is nothing within walking distance.

- Price is high, as is the case at nearly all “conference hotels” where most guests are not paying for rooms themselves.

- I didn’t have a car, but others at my conference said you had to pay to park at the hotel. This is not a congested area, so that is surprising.

- Beds were not particularly comfortable

- My room happened to be next to the elevators, which were noisy all night.

I would not choose to stay here if traveling for vacation. However, it served my purposes for the conference, particularly because my company was paying. If you are traveling on business or going to adjacent Sea World and don’t mind the rates, the hotel is attractive and spacious, with nice views.

If you are paying for the room yourself and have flexibility, you might consider other options.

Room Tip: Rooms on west side have ocean view, and rooms on south side have marina and downtown view
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Overall this hotel is just average with many updates needed to the rooms, the restaurants and the dining areas. Small rooms and constant airplane noise make for a less than ideal stay. The staff was friendly and always eager to help. There is no hotel shuttle at this location, so be ready to pay for a cab or private shuttle service wherever you go. Or, you can walk to Mission Beach which is a short 1/2 mile walk away. The Regency Club is not worth the extra fee charged, you are better off eating bagels at Einstein Brothers, or waiting for an early lunch offsite. The food onsite is okay, with the Red Marlin being the best choice - be prepared to pay for it though as the prices are not family friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay. It is family friendly, the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The food was good and the property nicely landscaped. Easy access from the airport. I would recommend it for a weekend away.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The location of this resort is very nice. Lots to do and see very close by. Facility offers nice accomodations, and amenities. On site restaurants a bit pricey but service is excellent and food was very good. Parking on site is pricey. Staff attitude is excellent- warm, courteous and competent. Great off site dining options in the area. Had a great visit there!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I came for business but brought a friend along. We had a great time. The property is a bit segregated from the the other areas, but is a quick mile walk to the beach. The hotel has a relationship with Enterprise so we were able to rent a car quickly and with no hassle to see some other areas of San Diego. That was a big bonus.