“Needs new staff, upgrades and some class”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #143 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Needs new staff, upgrades and some class”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location of marina is beautiful and lobby looks great until you actually enter the property. Rooms need makeovers, the pools are overcrowded and the atmosphere is a Motel6.
I saw multiple weddings here during my stay and the wedding party was literally getting trampled over by kids in swim gear running in the lobby in/out of the bathrooms. The pool area is filled with beer guzzling men and women who allow their kids to run wild- hotel staff seem to act as if it's normal for kids to be jumping, and adults to be in the pool with beer cans. Someone actually defecated in the pool!! Additionally, I asked to switch rooms 3x due to multiple issues with what I reserved and the room they offered. Cleaning service does not show up until 3-4pm each day (and, we had to call and request it!).
Not relaxing at all. Would not allow my child to swim in pool because the odor was so offensive.
On Site Dining - Red Marlin and Swim were nice and the staff polite and courteous. Too bad the rest of the hotel is so awful.
The spa advertises it's "world class" but the windows face a bustling, busy pool with children screaming. Although, the spa personnel (Angie and Murina) were fantastic. I did have two treatments and they were professionals.

Room Tip: Tower Rooms facing the pool have a wonderful view at sunset.
2 Thank kimmypul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is while not right downtown is still a great place to stay when doing business or visiting San Diego. Set right at Mission Bay views from the Tower Rooms are excellent if facing west. Great place to watch the sunset on a clear day.

Rooms are typical Hyatt comfortable and clean. Hotel grounds are not expansive but there is a nice pool area in the center of the property. Hotel is set on a Marina and there are lots of boats to check out. Great location if you are going to Sea World!

This is one of my favorites in San Diego.

Room Tip: Get a tower room facing the Ocean
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here for a family staycation in August of 2013. The rooms are nice. A little small but that is typical for the beach so it didn't bother us. The rooms overlooking the parking lot happen to get a spectacular view of the Sea World fireworks, it was our own firework show!
The pool is perfect for kids and adults. Our 3 years old loved the little waterslide that she could go down all by herself. The "bigger kid" slides were fun too! Downside is that pool area tends to get a little windy. The hotel is right on the pier overlooking the bay and there is a little rental place walking distance from the hotel that you can rent paddle boats, SUP, and kayaks. Bonus, there is an einsteins bagels walking distance as well. The walk along the pier is nice and you can spot fish, sea lions and starfish. The food at the SWIM restaurant (in pool) was really good for your typical pool food. I ordered the fish tacos and they were outstanding. There is another restaurant (Marlin) on the hotel property as well. I did not eat there but heard from my husband that is was very good. Whatever you do, do not mosey down the pier to the "best fish and chips in town" place. It was beyond horrible. It is not even sub par. Do not eat there.
Overall, it was a great weekend to explore our city which we already love!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Central NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

First of all I'm a hug fan of the Hyatt Resorts and was a little disappointed with this resort. The resort is located on Mission Bay in a Marina that's really beautiful. At night you can hear the seals in the Marina barking. Also, the pool area was really awesome with mutiple pools, waterslides and at night they have a open fire pit to roast Marshmellows for the Smores (extra $ at one of their bars). However, the rooms themselves need to be be updated. Also, the location is very close to Sea World: I believe they run a boat shuttle during the summer to it. Although it's location is not located in the center city of San Diego. It's about a 10 - 15 minute drive to the center. There are many options in San Diego, I've already booked the Manchester Hyatt in San Diego for 2014. I was disappointed with this resort b-c the rooms were not up to the Hyatt standard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelsWFamilyAlways
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a beautiful location and hotel (right by Sea World and a short drive to the airport, very close to the beach). The pools are inviting (three areas with water slides). The staff attentive. The rooms are top notch. And the view on any side of the hotel is a room with a view. We were on the 14th floor over looking the bay with the pool directly below. The air conditioners worked well and we slept comfortably, and I the shower pressure great. The room also has a mini fridge and there was ample space in both, our king room and the adjoining double queen room. The balcony doors are wide and slide open and allowed us a 180 degree view of the ocean. I found myself relaxing in the morning over coffee and read a book in the evening with a glass of wine. The club level (17) offers a great continental breakfast and it is well staffed. Even on Labor Day weekend, although crowded at times, people flowed in and out easily and there seemed to be plenty of seats indoors or out on the balconies.

We were here on a bereavement trip and the manager, Irby, was extremely gracious. He even had one of his staff call my mother-in-law and check up on her to make sure her stay was pleasant under the circumstances. He also sent up beverages and fruit and made sure she felt pampered. At 80 years old, she appreciated the gesture and it made the trip that much easier. Thank you Irby, for all you did for our stay. I hope to come back again soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip and was pleasantly surprised that upon arrival I had been upgraded to a deluxe room.

The hotel does cater more for families, and this appears to be more of a touristy type of hotel as opposed to business, but to be honest it helped me relax a bit more. My room was on the second floor of the main tower block overlooking the pools. I arrived quite late, and when I entered my room I wondered where all the noise was coming from! It was actually coming from everyone using the pool. To be honest it didn't bother me - it was quite nice to hear the kids enjoying themselves!

The room was adequate - but no way was it deluxe, apart from the biggest bed I have ever seen, ever! Room was in need of renovation - I had a lovely dark stain on the net drapes, and also on the lamp shade. Carpet was a bit threadbare in places, the bathroom was large, but again needed redecorating.

I would describe this hotel as adequate and comfortable, but it's nothing really to get excited about. The costs are pretty high though and to be honest the hotel looks like it is sold on location and the look of it's very enticing pools. Just remember t's a good 25 minutes from the airport and a cab will cost you $30 or so.

1 Thank bluejonny
La Mesa, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

First off I should say I'm a local so you know my perspective. My husband and our two small kids booked a last minute one-night stay as a little getaway on labor day weekend and it was a perfect 24 hours! Friday we arrived around 5, were "upgraded" to a great southern view room on the 15th floor of the tower. We quickly changed, got some pool time, and later enjoyed a very tasty dinner (w/a great view) at their Red Marlin restaurant (love the sustainable concept). I've never heard of a kids pay-by-age buffet but with a 5 and 7 year old I couldn't be happier about the price!!! As we left the restaurant at night we saw the fire pit and smores kits they have by the pool. What a great idea! The next day was filled w/more pool time and massages for us at the spa. The pool side waiters are very attentive, and the waterslides and pools are great for the kids! It can get crowded later in the day and if I had to complain about one thing it would be the cleanliness of the pool area. Their either needs to be more trash receptacles or someone constantly cleaning. Also, what about cubby holes or something for those who can't find seats? Some people stacked their personal belongings all around the palm trees and the whole area started looking sloppy. BUT that is a small critique. The kids pool side activities were great too. It was my first stay-cation getaway and I can't wait to come back! Oh and most importantly - the beds were super comfortable!!!

Room Tip: 1515 - great views - wow what a sunrise view for you early morning folks. You can see all the mount...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family