“pretty good”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #156 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Chose this hotel because it's one of about only 3 hotels in SD with pool slides. There are three, and they are simple but pretty entertaining for the kids. Major downside was that the slides closed at 5 or 6 pm when then lifeguard left, which negates using them at the end of the day after visiting any sights. The beds were nice, views of the bay great, and the club food pretty decent mix of stuff although could use more hot foods and more variety for those of us staying more than a couple of nights. Hors d'oeuvres were also pretty good in the evening.

This is very close to SeaWorld, although the 1.3 mile walk is too much for the kids, they don't have a shuttle, and cab wouldn't take 5 of us, so we ended up driving our rental over and paying for parking anyway. IMO if you have a car you can stay anywhere not necessarily here. I agree it sucks to pay for self parking at the hotel but that's what all these hotels rip us off for.

Keep in mind that this hotel is not on a beach, and there are no decent restaurants or shops in walking distance. Marina has water sport rentals and whale watching right there. Red Marlin restaurant had really good food.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank welbymd
Write a ReviewReviews (3,624)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The location is so convenient, it's so close to Sea World. They have a faerie to the back section of the park. The rooms are pretty decent. The pool is very cool, it's slides are pretty fun.They are also right on the bay so you can go jet skiing or rent a small boat and go around on those.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was anxious to return because I had a great experience the last time I was here. Check-in was a breeze. I booked a room with Regency Club access. Unfortunately the food was mediocre with no variety and there were children everywhere. The noise level was so loud I just left the lounge. My room, which I was not informed about at check-in, was next to the elevators so a peaceful quiet night's sleep was non-existent. The room was not as clean as it should have been. Peeling paint in the bathroom and stains on the sectional couch were a bit unnerving. This hotel has definitely gone down in quality and up in price. It's not the Hyatt I expected.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank porschegal03
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Mission Bay for 2 nights while visiting San Diego. We chose the hotel due to its proximity to Sea World, but also because the pool area looked great with a resort like feel for the adults and decent water slides for the kids. The hotel is only down the street from Sea World and you can see the 9:50 fireworks show from the hotel. The Zoo was less than 15 minutes away and easy to get to.
The service was very good and all of the employees we dealt with were efficient and pleasant.

We booked the Family Adventure package which more than paid for itself with the 20% off admission to Sea World and the Zoo. The concierge printed the tickets at the hotel so we avoided the ticket lines. The package also came with the buffet at the Red Marlin restaurant which saved us $75.00 alone. If you have a family and are going to Sea World/the Zoo get this package.

The hotel is nice enough but our room could have used some updating (popcorn ceilings, etc) but we were out all day and only used the room to shower and sleep. Friends of ours stayed at the Tower section of the hotel and they were pleased. Possibly the most hotel bed ever.

The main complaint is the $24.00 per day parking rate to park my own car in their lot. C'mon Hyatt - felt like we were gauged. The fact that other hotels charge for parking doesn't make it right.

All in all, we would stay at this hotel again when we visit San Diego.

Room Tip: If you mind sleeping in a dated room, choose an upgrade to the Tower.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ebkesq
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The hotel was great, pool & slides were awesome. Location was very close to beach & all other activities. Please stay far away from fish & chips place next to Hyatt!!! It was dirty & nasty. I had the worst fish & chips I have ever had in my life there. Nicks in pacific beach was awesome.

Room Tip: Choose the tower.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vinny R
Reviewed July 2, 2013

For a Hyatt Regency this hotel is on the low end of the scale. I have stayed at numerous Hyatt and Grand Hyatt hotels and several hundred hotel/motels in total. So for a Hyatt Regency this one is just average overall compared to the others.

Depending upon the time of day check-in at any hotel can be a breeze or a nightmare. In my case I only waited for one other person and the process was very efficient. My room was a "VIP Suite" on the 14th floor at the North end of the hallway. There is a sitting area which included a couch, table, lamps and a desk. The bedroom was separated screen drapers that could be closed similar as to what is usually at the main windows or a sliding door. In my view that was pretty useless and unnecessary. The king bed was up to Hyatt standards and the pillows were fine. The room was very clean and the housekeeping service was excellent. The bathroom was fairly small with a single sink and no vanity. There was a personal shower with sliding doors and no tube. The room also has a very small private balcony that overlooked Mission Bay, so there was a nice view. The "bedroom" had two windows that had venetian type blinds and even at night they let in quite a bit of light from the lights mounted on the outside of the building.. I would have preferred a much darker room at night. The room also had a small fridge and a safe.

I found most of the staff to be okay during my interaction with them. The pool staff seemed to pretty bored, although there were two lifeguards on duty each time I was there. The valet staff was great and retrieved my car each time very quickly. As for the pool area it was fairly small for the size of the hotel which had 17 floors. There were three pools and three slides, one for the kiddy pool and a larger one next to it that the slides emptied into. The largest pool seemed to be just for adults although I did see quite a few kids in it. Kids? Yes there are a whole lot of them and mostly young ones, due to the fact that SeaWorld is literally across the street from the hotel. Most of them were well behaved, but a few were little rascals that needed some supervision. I expected the throng of children and I enjoy kids, besides my grandson was one of them, but he was being supervised by mom and dad.

The Red Marlin restaurant which is part of the property was quite good. I ate dinner there one night and breakfast three times and enjoyed the food. The staff was adequate, but could have been more attentive in my opinion.

Yes, I consider this Hyatt average as compared to others, but I would stay here again in the future since I did not experience any issues that would prevent me from doing so.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor to cut down on traffic noise from the nearby four lane road and th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Major12
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Rooms are comfortable, but could use some updating. Not the Hyatt I have gotten used to. From check-in through the stay, the hotel seemed understaffed and unable to give the top notch service Hyatt is known for. For the nightly rate, I expected more. The Red Marlin Restaurant has good food and service. Check-in took hours (for me and many others in my group). Family friendly hotel (great if that's what you're seeking) and every room can hear the pool noise, so just beware. Location has nice views (from up high) and is close to the beach boardwalk scene. The beach is nice for running, but not a nightlife scene. Go to the Gas Lamp District.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor so you can see the views it has to offer.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business