“A Beautiful Hotel in a Quiet and Peaceful Area”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #162 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay here on January 1, 2013. I paid a little more to upgrade to a Waterfront Suite. It was definitely worth every penny to upgrade because the suites were very cozy and spacious. The hotel has a main taller building and it also has a separate three story building with only suites which face the marina and water.

When you walk into the suite there is a spacious living room with a large couch, tables, and a nice flat screen television. Then there is a small hallway that leads to the bathroom and then to the bedroom where there is another television. The bedroom is also very spacious and has a nice balcony to look out at the beautiful marina and boats. The bed/pillows were extremely comfortable.

I absolutely loved the location of this hotel, especially where the waterfront suites are located. You step outside and you are literally right next to the water and marina. The location is slightly secluded making this a great place for a quiet and relaxing getaway. We really enjoyed the peaceful walk alongside the marina. Keep in mind there are not a lot of restaurants to walk to from this hotel; however, there are a couple of local fish type eateries within walking distance. We did eat at their onsite restaurant called The Red Marlin. Let me tell you it is a bit expensive; however, the food was amazing and worth the cost. In particular, my wife really enjoyed the "Go Green Butter Lettuce Salad". I had the "Surf n Turf" which included a very delicious steak, a scrumptious homemade blue crab cake, and tasty mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and bacon. This elegant restaurant is situated right on the water providing for a very romantic view.

The grounds of the hotel are immaculate. The pool area was like a romantic island getaway with a few large clean pools, a hip bar, and a relaxing fire pit to sit back, relax and enjoy a good drink. The hotel also has a nice fitness center and coffee shop right on the marina next to the waterfront tower.

The front desk staff were very friendly, especially Brittany. She was very helpful and genuinely made us feel welcomed. The only reason I could not give this hotel a perfect rating was because the doors had a little too much rust/wear on them. It was not easy to open and close the doors due to the rust. Also the bathroom door would not shut at all. Other than these issues, this hotel was absolutely perfect for us. I highly recommend this hotel for a very peaceful trip to the Mission Bay area of San Diego!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Waterfront Suite facing the Marina. You will also be closer to the Fitness Center and C...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Don't get fooled by the name Hyatt and the international size of this chain, HYATT REGENCY MISSION BAY is a poorly managed, decorated without any taste, has awful customer service from the check-in agent to the manager and is close to the highway so its likely you won't get any sleep here. My experience has been as follows:

came to check into your hotel around 2.45pm on April 27th, I was greeted by Eike at your front desk who awkwardly told me that I am early, that check in begins at 4pm. I looked at him and said OK, wondering what was his point. Then instead of asking me to wait in the lobby or make myself comfortable at one of the hotel restaurants while my suite is being prepared, he continued and said, that he has one suite ready, and checked me into the room 1701.

That night, I couldn't fall asleep because the bedroom was facing highway and hadn't had a good night's sleep. I called the reception around 10pm with my complaint and asked that I am moved to another quieter room, at which time Clayton had apologized for the inconvenience and said that the hotel was booked for the night and that I couldn't get a quiet room.

The next morning, I woke up feeling exhausted and looked more closely at my booking reservation that has been emailed to me. The reservation said clearly: 600 square feet, King size Suite, sofa bed, 2 TVs, waterfront building, and then examined the room 1701 only to accurately assess that there was ONLY one TV, there was no sofa bed, and this suite was nowhere close to 600 sqft in size.

I then went downstairs talked to Britteny and Eike, that I HAVE BEEN CHECKED IN INTO THE WRONG ROOM.

Then instead of hearing Eike apologize to me, he kept grinning at me and said to me defensively, "but that is why I gave you free breakfast"?!!

I was beyond shocked with his unapologetic attitude and kept insisting that I get a suite I BOOKED 11 days ahead and I PAID FOR.

UPON MY INSISTENCE ONLY, Britteny agreed to

1) move me to a king size suite
2) not to charge me for the stay at 1701 for the night
3) provide me with wireless internet at my new suite 2325 for the remaining of my stay

So I packed up my belongings, moved to another room, unpacked my luggage and carefully examined this king size suite I meant to treat myself to for my Birthday.

And this is what I found:

1) Chipped furniture ( picture of a worn down work desk attached)
2) Dirty Windows
3) Torn and filthy curtains (picture of a torn curtain attached)
4) TORN BEDSHEETS (photograph of a torn bed sheet attached)
5) Service room staff that is dressed in wrinkled shirts and mismatched color pants and shirts
6) Worn out welcome book (photograph attached)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank JelenaSPEAKSTHETRUTH
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel has a great staff; everyone was friendly and helpful. Our room had a gorgeous view of the marina. The property is landscaped beautifully and it is easy to get from one place to another. I spent two days at the spa which is beautiful. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My Husband and I had a wonderful time and the experience at the Hotel helped. Even though the weather was a little cold, the hot whirlpool was a welcoming nightly routine, which funny enough is where we started making friends. We met a few nice couples willing to share some nice places to visit inside and outside of San Diego. Overall, I would recommend this hotel as the staff and the venue was very nice and so far, the best we've been to. We were a little homesick for our puppy once we found that it was a pet friendly place but we were absolutely thrilled about that news as well. The room and the views are spectacular and so are the eateries nearby. We also enjoyed the Blue Marble Spa, which extends their venue for the entire day when you use their services. As I've said before, I have nothing but good things to say about this place.

Room Tip: If you prefer absolute quiet, don't get a room facing the pool. We love the sound of kids playin...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lola C
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was at this hotel complex for five days for a conference. I had flown in and did not have a car, which was a major handicap because it is a little remote from San Diego proper and public transportation is not good from there. The tower rooms were very nice: large, clean, and well-equipped. I was on the 14th floor and could not get the temperature below 67 degrees, despite running the air conditioner full-time. The view was spectacular. There are great swimming pools for families with children, but there is no coin laundry. The food at the Red Marlin was very good and half-portions are available at a reduced price. I did not like the limited choices, slow service, and tasteless food at Swim, the casual restaurant. The hotel is only a mile away from Sea World, which is definitely worth seeing and can be walked to. I would recommend it with the above reservations.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for our family vacation with two kids under 7. If I was going off of first impressions for our stay I might have turned around and walked out. The lady who checked us in was rude and just seemed like she hated her "job." I was inquiring about a corner room suite in the tower building as we booked with Hyatt and were recommended to ask for this upgrade upon checking in. The lady checking us in looked at me like I was some idiot when I asked about this type of room and impolitely told us there was no such room that would fit our family of four (even though it was recommended to me by Hyatt staff) We chose this hotel because of the pool for the kids and the kids loved the pool, especially the water slides! The pool area gets really breezy and even on a 75 degree day it can feel chilly but it didn't stop our kids from enjoying this awesome hotel feature! Our room was nice, clean, standard amenities but the BEST part...the balcony and the ahhhhhhhesome view! The Swim bar staff was friendly and attentive and the food was good and affordable. We read the s'mores kits were free but unfortunately had to pay $16 for 8 s'mores- yikes! The Blue Marble Spa facility was nice and Lucy at the Spa was very polite and accommodating. The Spa steam shower was amazing but I got a massage and was not impressed. One of the best features of the hotel was the friendly and knowledgeable concierge staff. They recommend World Famous as a dinner spot for our family and it was great! I was never disappointed with the concierges' recommendations and tips.
On the last night of our trip there was a wedding at the hotel. Unfortunately they put the wedding party in the room right next to us and I ended up having to call security around midnight after my kids were awakened from all the noise. Disappointing way to end our great vacation.

Room Tip: Tower rooms have an unforgettable view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank YappyTails
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were there for a business trip. Staff was awesome. Our first room was pretty beat and
when we asked to be moved, we were given a beautiful corner room facing the bay.
The grounds are beautiful and food was very good. The tower rooms seem to be newer
and more updated. Once the carpets are replaced, this will be a great hotel. Hotel
is located close to Sea World and not far from downtown San Diego. I would stay there
again.

Room Tip: Corner suites are great and have connecting room for families.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business