“Such comfort!”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #164 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband, kids and I stayed here and we had such a great experience. Check in was a breeze, room service was excellent, the room, the beds, everything was top of the line and very clean. There was no noise, we all slept like babies eventhough it was a Saturday night and I'm sure there was plenty of parties around us. Our balcony had a spectacular view of the bay and we could hear the seals in the morning! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear angee007,

Such a lovely review- thank you so much for your comments. We are delighted to hear that you and your family had a great experience during your recent stay with us! We would love a chance to welcome you back again for another over-the-top experience during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We came down for a weekend at SeaWorld, which is about a mile away. The hotel room had a unobstructed view of the bay with boats, birds, and seals that kept the kids entertained. My wife and I were occupied by the two dead bugs stuck on the ceiling however. Someone had taken the time to kill the bugs but left their carcasses still hanging on the ceiling, and room service had failed to clean them. The TV remotes did not work, and the carpet had large, mystery stains, and the furniture were old and beat up. We requested and were moved to another room but this took about an hour and the kids were hungry and unhappy. The new room also had carpet stains and felt damp and dirty the whole weekend. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris G

Dear Chris G.,

Thank you for taking time from your day to leave us your feedback here on TripAdvisor. Although it is wonderful to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy the lovely views offered from your guestroom, I am very sorry to hear of the condition of your original guestroom. I have followed up with our Director of Housekeeping and Director of Rooms to ensure your comments are addressed internally. I am pleased that our Front Desk was able to provide you with an alternative guestroom upon your request, but I am sorry to hear the carpet was still in need of attention. I am happy to inform you that we will be completing a carpet deep clean program throughout the month of November to address these concerns and to ensure all guestrooms are up to Hyatt standards. Thank you again for your comments. I hope we have a chance to exceed your expectations during your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently went to San Diego for a weekend stay at the Hyatt Mission Bay. Everything about the experience at the hotel was terrible. We got there late in the day because we drove down from LA after work on a Friday. After the long car ride it took us forever to check-in because the hotel was overbooked due to the fact that they had planned 6 weddings at the hotel over that weekend. We ended up with a 2 queen instead of a king room. Not a big deal, except that the room we were put in smelled terrible. It smelled like there was a significant mold problem and they tried to fix it by spraying fabreze all over the room.

By the time we got to the room it was close to 10pm we were tired, but hadn't had dinner yet so we decided to go to the bar to get a quick bite to eat. We each ordered something small and the food was good for a bar. When our bill came our waiter had swapped out a cheap app that we ordered with an expensive item from the menu. Luckily I checked the bill before signing but I'm sure they pull that scam all the time since most people just sign the slip and put the charge on the room.

We went back to the room to watch some TV before going to bed, but our TV did not work. At this point I've been at the hotel for all of 2 hours and already encountered many problems, things were not looking up for this trip.

The next morning we stopped by the front desk to notify them of the smelly room and TV problems and then went out all day. When we got back in the afternoon, the smell was the same but at least they had fixed the TV. Thankfully we didn't have much time to spend at the room before going out to dinner. Unfortunately when we got back from dinner there was no parking available in the parking lot. I'm assuming it had something to do with the 6 weddings taking place. After driving around for 10 to 15 minutes looking for parking (which we had already paid for at the hotel) we gave up and decided to valet park. We explained that we had already paid for self parking but it was not available, they assured us that they wouldn't charge us anything for valet.

We checked out the following morning and the person at the desk asked how our stay was. I told him this wasn't a great stay for us and outlined the service. He indicated that these things happen and it was really the fault of the 6 weddings (which the hotel seemed to think it was ok to book). I think at this point I expected that lack of response from him based on how everything had gone so far. I reviewed the bill and noticed that we had been charged for the valet parking despite what we were told the prior night. I asked that the charge be removed, which it was, but again, if I hadn't reviewed the bill closely I would have been charged for that.

Unfortunately my girlfriend and I had booked a follow up trip to this Hyatt for a month after our first stay. After the terrible service we decided to cancel the second stay. I asked the person checking me out to cancel this reservation, which he said he did and gave me a confirmation number on the canceled room. Not surprisingly, I received an email this week to confirm my upcoming stay, which I had already canceled. I called back and canceled again. We'll see if I get charged.

Overall this hotel was terrible, I would not recommend anybody stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eric F

Dear Eric F.,

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay at our hotel. Although it is disappointing to hear that your experience fell short of your expectations, we appreciate your comments and use all guest feedback to make changes and improvements throughout the hotel as appropriate. At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing exceptional service to each and every guest and I am sorry that this was not the case in your experience. Your detailed comments have been shared with the Management Team at the hotel to ensure the concerns that you experienced are discussed and addressed directly with the staff throughout the hotel. Again, I apologize for your experience, but I hope that you will have an opportunity to return so that we can ensure your expectations are exceeded.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

While attending a business conference, I enjoyed an experience of a lifetime. When I arrived around 2:00 P.M. via a shuttle service from the airport, I was warmly greeted by several Bellman. John, a Front Desk Agent, explained that my room was not yet available and offered me access to the Regency Room where I would find light refreshements and a place to relax or work with complete Internet access. When my room was available, he would call my cell phone number. The Regency Room was beautiful, had wonderful views of the bay, and offered everything John said it would. Before I could finish my drink and cookie, I received a call from John that my room was now available. When I returned to the Front Desk, it was then that I learned that the event sponsor had upgraded my room to the Penthouse on the 18th Floor of the Tower Building. I was so surprised!!! Duane, one of the Bellmen, offered to take me to the Penthouse. He was very kind and explained how the elevator, doors, lights, and TV worked. My husband was able to join me the next day. He received the same kind of wonderful treatment from the Bellmen and Front Desk Agents! We had the opportunity to entertain one evening to share with others the spectacular 360 degree views from the Penthouse. I requested some additional dessert plates, forks, knives, and napkins. They were delivered to the room by a very friendly housekeeping assistant. She helped set up and then returned several hours later to help with the clean up and to take the dishes and dinnerware away. It was truly a remarkable experience and the hotel staff made it very enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel before and I love it every time. The location is great, the view spectacular and the amenities are top drawer. We came for business, but it certainly felt like a pleasure stay. I am sure to bring the whole family back for a weekend of fun and relaxation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Brian Diane T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback here on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us while away on business. I think you have the right idea in mind though- please do come back again and bring the whole family. The Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina is family friendly and has great accommodations for our guests travelling with children. You might even want to check out our SeaWorld Suite on our website, depending on how old your children are. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Having just spent 3 nights at this property i can only use the word disappointing to describe the overall stay. Firstly the location is a little isolated there is not a lot around this hotel,without a car its virtually cab rides everywhere. Mission beach is about a 20 minute walk away.
The hotel is on the water and the rooms are quite nice, common areas clean and a lovely pool area. The red marlin restaurant serves nice food, fairly pricey, but the bar has the shortest happy hour in the U.S 3pm-5pm only.
If you don't like the sounds of seals in the early hours take ear plugs because they can make some noise.
Internet- I am at the stage now that if chains such as hyatt regency cannot offer free wifi at least in the lobby them i'm not using the hotel chain again. It is just poor marriott/sheraton all offer free wifi in their lobbies this hotel does not and boy do they nickel and dime you for it $6.00 for 15 minutes in the business centre.(love to know what plan that is)
There is no 24 hour room service...mind boggling if you take into consideration the location after 11pm there is no more food in the hotel.
Bottled water in the room $3 for the smallest bottle you have ever seen once again every room should get 1 complimentary bottle of water per day, as other chain do.
They have a small bakery/shop einstein bagels which only opens in the morning serving bagels. The shop is open the rest of the day charging obscene amounts for everyday items. like water $5 for 1 litre.
if your bringing the family to sea world and are hanging the pool all day this is probably not a bad option for you to stay, but for us Hyatt Mission Bay was disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We loved the lush vegetation & palm trees around the pool, but the pool was only about a chilly 75 degrees, and the jacuzzi was only about 95 degrees -- the usual standards at resorts are 84 & 104 degrees, respectively. Everyone we saw in the evening who tried the pool immediately got out, and retreated back to the luke warm jacuzzi. The evenings have been chilly, and the pools really need to be heated more. (or at least heat one of the three pools!)
Several people complained of mustiness in the older low rise buildings.
The Red Marlin restaurant has beautiful views, and is quite elegant, though quite pricey.
At times their was a long line at check in, and one very inexperienced front desk person had to repeatedly walk into the back to ask the manager questions. I wondered, why doesn't the manager pitch in out front until the line dies down?
The sea lions are quite loud in the evening on the marina side, but I rather enjoy them. They're such characters! But if you don't like the sound of dogs barking, I don't think you'd like the sea lions' bark either.
There is a 24 hour gym by the Einstein Bagels coffee shop on the marina side.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family