“A poor experience”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #163 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 6, 2008

I suppose the moral of this review should be “never stay at a hotel during a major renovation”. But if you don’t know it’s happening, how can you avoid it? The Regency branding is supposed to indicate a luxury resort and setting, but staying at this Hyatt in November 2007, with their renovation running five months late, only the setting part was even mildly luxurious.
This hotel comprises both a main high-rise tower and some low-rise marina-side accommodation. At the time we stayed there the main lobby wasn’t built, and the only place for breakfast, apart from expensive room service, was the Swim Cafe, a pool-side snack bar intended to serve pool-users. The choice was absolutely minimal and self-service. The pools themselves were not in use, as their renovation hadn’t quite completed either.
Our marina view king room was fine in itself - spacious, light and airy, if a little minimalist on the decor. The view was good with a sunny balcony. Our bathroom lacked a tub, and the shower ran water that was tepid at its warmest. The hotel’s public facilities were just non-existent. There were no lounges or other public spaces available. The hotel was largely occupied by business convention groups, who dominated the place. One group were selling a gothic teen clothing brand, and their delegates ate from a mobile kitchen around the back of the hotel, and were a frequent site coming and going, wearing hoodies, drinking beer in the elevators, and generally acting like extras in a bad teen movie.
I’m sure this hotel will be better when it’s renovated, but from the layout and situation I doubt it will ever be great. The location on the marina is nice, and if proximity to Flipper is your overriding factor, then you will be close to Sea World. But the limitations of the architecture will never make for a wonderful hotel, renovated or not.
How Hyatt have the nerve to sell rooms in a hotel with so few of the facilities working is beyond me, and sell those rooms at full price too. I felt it was worth only half what we paid given the state of the place, and were thankful we had only a two-night stay pre-paid. There was a time when Hyatt meant certain quality and class in a hotel. That time is clearly in the past.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Toofastcat
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Mission Bay

Reviewed February 2, 2008

We got this hotel through Priceline for a really good price (we selected the "San Diego Coastal" neighborhood when bidding on Priceline), and upon check-in we were offered an upgrade to an ocean or marina view room for a reasonable fee. We chose ocean view and were given a room on the 8th floor in the tower. The room was renovated recently and it looks pretty much like the pictures on their website. Note though that there is only a shower, no tub, and the ocean view was nice but there are planes taking off nearby. The beds were crisp and comfy. Our only complaint was that there were some stains on the carpet, and the $18 fee for self-parking was steep.

Overall the property looks really good now that renovations are for the most part complete (there seems to be some work going on still, but we didn't hear any noise). Don't mistake this Hyatt for a full-
scale resort though; it definitely is a smaller property that doesn't impress on a grand scale. The lobby is located in a small hut-like structure, and they obviously cut some corners during renovations (the hallways and room doors seemed to have just received a new coat of paint and not much else).

Overall though it is an excellent choice if you can get a good price-- it's clean, has a good location, has impressive ocean/marina views, and undoubtedly has recouped its 4-star quality, but the rack rates of $200+ are a bit high for what you get.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank cr85b
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We stayed to attend a conference and found that there was no restaurant which was mentioned in the confrimation sent by the hotel. Our room, despite being renovated had stains in the carpet, burn marks in the balconey furniture, a large chip in the toilet and the blaconey windows were filthy. On our last day we had to ask for hand towels and were told by house cleaning that they were out. Most staff were friendly tho some were indifferent.
The holel in not really close to anything so expect to walk 15 minutes to Mission Bay beach or drive if you plan to go anywhere. Not worth the money, not what one would expect from a Hyatt.

1  Thank mickeeAlberta
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I stayed for a conference at this hotel and I would never stay there again. The staff was impolite. I could not watch a movie on my TV so I called front desk three times and each time they placed me on hold so long that I could not talk to someone. They are currently doing reconstruction so there was only room service and a pool lounge that was open which was insufficient to feed all the people. I would not stay there again.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank traveling_girl42
Reviewed January 20, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in January 2008 to attend a weekend professional meeting. My room was not in the tower, but a two story building attached. The staff was excellent and helpful. The room was quiet (I understand construction was going on but I stayed on a Saturday night and nobody was working on Sunday morning.) The bed was new and comfortable, the furniture was good but not great, and there was a flat screen t.v. The room was clean. However despite the $65 million in upgrades, my bathtub did not drain properly after I showered. If two people are sharing the room and each wants to shower this could be a problem. The fit and finish of the bathroom was poor, although I want to stress it was clean. What was puzzling was that in order to use the internet you had to pay a fee -- either for a cable connection or to log in to wireless. Something that is provided free at Starbucks should be likewise free at a hotel that considers itself first class. Paying more than $10 per day to connect is just annoying. Room service ended at 10 p.m., a problem for some of our group that got in late at night. Our meeting room was not signed -- I mean how difficult could it be to put up a sign saying "Palm Room" on the door of the Palm Room? When I checked out using the express machine, my receipt indicate that the food I had ordered was liquor. Obviously, my professional group was not going to reimburse me for drinking my dinner. I had that changed by the front desk, but it took a while.

Others have mentioned that this hotel is out of the way. It is if you want easy access to downtown. If you have a car you can drive to downtown, the gaslamp area, etc. fairly easily. If not, a cab ride is going to run you $25 or more. There are virtually no restaurants in walking distance, again a problem if you get in after they close room service. So rent a car.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank paulie47
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Got this hotel for a "steal" on priceline.

We visited San Diego as part of a Vacation also taking in Las Vegas and Palm Springs.

We arrived at San Diego airport mid afternoon after flying with Southwest from Vegas. I was surprised at how small the Airport was. Picked up a rental car and got directions to the hotel which was probably no more than 15 minutes away.

Stayed three nights and knew that the pool was out of action. We wanted to visit the Zoo and Seaworld therefore we just wanted somewhere comfortable to sleep - boy were we in for a surprise.

We were given a tower room high up with an amazing view over the the coastline.

The room had recently been refurbished to a superb standard and the beds were so comfortable it made us decide to change ours when we got back.

Ok there isn't much around the hotel and yes you do have to drive everywhere but if you're just visting then this hotel should be fine and while the renovations are going on you will get this hotel at a great price through priceline.

ps did not get charged for parking !!

Tip - Great Afgan restaurant in University area

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank red_striker
Reviewed January 4, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt Mission Bay over the holidays and had a great visit. The hotel is newly renovated and we loved the great location. The lobby is very clean and modern and the new swimming pools are beautiful. Our guestroom has a spectaular view of the Pacific Ocean. We all had spa treatments and thought they were excellent.

We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family