“Rip off”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #160 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This hotel was absolutely not worth the money I spent. I took my kids on vaca to San Diego and other than location, I can't say anything good. The waterfront suites are badly in need of an update. Weren't pocket doors popular in the 60's? Wallpaper peeling in the bathroom. Only a small 4 drawer dresser to Wad clothes into. Drinks were $12!!! Won't be staying again. No continental breakfast. $24 for a couple bagels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Arlillig
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Dear Arlillig,

Thank you for your review. Although disappointed to hear that you were displeased with the value of your stay, we appreciate the candid feedback and use this feedback to make changes to our hotel that will enhance our guest's experience. I am happy to hear you found our location in Mission Bay to be ideal, but I am sorry you were disappointed with your guestroom. I have shared your comments with our Director of Engineering to ensure your comments are addressed. For some added value, I would like to suggest that you check out the Special Offers page on our website. Here we have many wonderful package options available to our guests, some of which include breakfast, late check-out, complimentary parking, and/or complimentary internet. Again, thank you for your time and I hope you choose to visit us again in the future.

Warmest Regards,
Kendra Santos
Director of Quality Assurance
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina

Write a ReviewReviews (3,601)

Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and daughter are there now for my daughters Sweet 16. I spent months reading and mapping out their trip - and I booked them at the Hyatt with the AAA meal special so they both get breakfast included - at check in they were told they only get one breakfast, thank goodness I had printed off my confirmation that had a detailed description of the 2 meals otherwise they wouldn't have been able to go back to the front desk to prove that it was 2 meals - not impressed! Then when I skyped them last night I see they are sharing a king bed! I booked two queens and apparently they were told the hotel was full and that was all they had! I am so disappointed! I expected above and beyond customer service - specially since they know it's her sweet 16!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Sasssiest
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed in one of the suites overlooking the bay and thought the hotel room was very nice. The best thing the hotel had going for it was the helpful staff. Every time we had a question or needed something they went out of their way to be friendly and quickly help us. The room didnt come with a microwave, but with one call to the front desk we had one in about 10 minutes. We also used the hotels pack n play for our 18 month old and it was delivered already set up about 15 minutes after we checked in. The pool area is lovely, however it was in the 60's during our visit and the water was no where near the 80 degrees the hotel claims to keep it at so we did not use it much. We also decided to rent a car after arriving and used the hotels service with Enterprise. I would NOT recommend doing this. The already agreed upon rates with the hotel are outrageous!!! Im guessing you pay the extra for the delivery of the car to the hotel. I worked for Enterprise before though, so I know we were being overcharged for the tiny little car we had. The hotel is in a great spot to hit up the Mission Beach area. We enjoyed walking around and had a very good meal at Luigi's. We also used the hotel's water taxi service to Sea World, and I highly recommend it! No worries about parking and there actually wasnt anyone at the back entrance to check us in so if we were not already using free military vouchers we wouldve gotten in for free anyways! The hotel's location is excellent for hitting up all the sights around San Diego! We really loved Old Towne and right down the road from the hotel is The Broken Yolk! Best breakfast ever! Major cons of the hotel are having to pay for internet, which we didnt bother to do since we have cell phones, and paying for parking. It is my opinion that if I am paying to stay in a hotel I shouldnt have to pay to park my car there. I have never liked doing that. I would rate this hotel excellent if the extra fees were dropped, there's just no sense in paying more money when the hotel is already a pricey stay for what you get. None of the charges for parking or internet should be a shock to anyone at check out however, since the hotel was very up front about the fees online and at check in.

Room Tip: We loved the suite since we have an 18 month old and she goes to bed at like 8pm. We could put her...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Snimmons
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel one night for an executive business meeting. The location is fantastic. It's right on the water and I was on the 11th floor of the high-rise looking out over the pacific ocean. The room was spotless and nicely appointed. The amenities in the bathroom were nice. Each room had a little deck with two chairs where you can sit and read or look out over the view. The TV picture wasn't great but you're not there to watch TV. Also the mattress was a bit mushy and probably needed to be upgraded.

We had a meeting reception at the hotel restaurant and clearly the restaurant didn't know how to handle a group like ours. Little appetizer dishes came out one at a time which doesn't really work for a group. It was also pretty pricey for what you got.

Overall I would recommend it for a family vacation, girls weekend or other personal trip. Not sure I would recommend this for business meetings.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrea074
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Easy access to Downtown and most surrounding areas. The room was clean and staff was friendly and helpfull. We had a spacious suite with a dry bar and small but nice balcony looking out over the harbor. The only thing I didn't like was the early morning noise from the sea lions out on the bait dock in the middle of the harbor. By the 2nd or 3rd night I didn't even notice it so it wasn't a big problem. Great food and drinks at the Marlin restaurant. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travwel
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Opted to stay at this hotel over another for the simple reason is that I get points. The lobby and pool areas are lovely. The staff is attentive. Only a few oh ohs stand out.

First, you still have to pay for internet access in your room. I find this odd as I have stayed at Hampton Inns before and wifi access is free! Hard to believe that this upscale chain still charges up to $15 a day for in room access. Definitely a deterrent for business travel as you can only do so much on an Iphone. If you have a Tmobile hotspot, I do believe that access is free.... Or if you want to sit in the lobby and do work...

The pool staff is attentive, but I had to ask several times, and it took 45 minutes to get a fruit plate! I actually think this is because I made the mistake of paying my bill first... no incentive.

On the plus side, the rooms were comfortable and well maintained. I was in the Tower and each had a private balcony with seating. One of my seats definitely had cigarette marks....

Their fitness center is 24 hours, and complimentary,which I appreciate having to fly from the east. And, there is a nice boardwalk for running...

Yes, there were children, but hey, its a destination resort near Seaworld! So, you have to expect families.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ontheroad19
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel is old and dingy. We stayed in the Bay 2 rooms and they are awful. They smell, the furniture is stained and the ceiling is ugly. This hotel is overpriced and dated. Don't stay here. It is a popular family hotel because of its close proximity to Sea World. The pool area was packed with kids and very noisy. They did seem to be having a great time. Self parking is $20/night.

• Stayed: June 2012
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Ozkzpp,

Thank you for your candid review here on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent stay and I have shared your comments with our Director of Engineering and Director of Housekeeping to ensure all of our guestrooms are up to Hyatt standards. I regret to hear that you did not enjoy the family and kid friendly atmosphere in our pool area, however we do our best to accommodate each and every guest, regardless of their travel purposes. Please know that we appreciate your feedback and use all comments and reviews to continue working to improve and enhance our hotel and our guest's experience.

Warmest Regards,