“Don't judge a book by its cover”

Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Hotel Circle
Ranked #245 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 23, 2009

From the oustside, this 60s-appearing motel looks like it is falling apart. Inside, though, the roms, if nit overly large, are comfortable and the selection of TV channels--over 70 of them--is all one could ask for. The vanity area and separate toilet/shower area have been remodeled, there is ample scalding hot water and the shower head delivers a comfortable volume of water. This is not a fancy place--at an average rate of $50.50/night for my stay, I did not expect one--but the location is convenient, the housekeeping service is efficient and the free breakfast has a satisfactory assortment of pastries, cereal and toast. As an older motel, it is somewhat noisy but again, if one wants peace and quiet, one can go down the street and pay much more.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Hotel Circle

Reviewed August 29, 2009

I would not recomend this place besides the unfriendly , unhelpfull stuff, dirty old stained towels, money was stolen from us during our stay here. when i complain to manager/owner his reaction was: tough luck lady .
How lousy can it get?!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank morenamorena18
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I really enjoyed this hotel, altough they could have a better breakfast and the snacks machines could have worked better but it was ok.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2009

At $59 + tax this was a bargain, but I'm glad I didn't have to spend too much time here - and the time I did spend was occupied watching the TV (Showtime & HBO channels, but quite a few missing from the rest of the line-up), which helped drown out the noise of the traffic. Check-in clerk was almost incomprehensible, but room was perfectly adequate - clean and everything seemed to work OK (fridge included - didn't try the microwave or coffee-maker). Pool looked OK if you just wanted to get wet and/or had the standards of a 3-year old (I decided it would depress me too much to venture into the water with its views across the parking lot to the tenement-looking hotel). Hotel Circle South is good for access to Old Town and Hillcrest (take Bachman Place to the local shops and diners), visits to which enable you to forget where you're staying. I'm sure there are better places in the Circle than here (though the tv may not be as good).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Room seemed put together with paper clips and string. Everything hung at wrong place (mirrors, hairdryer), the furniture was ok but bath sink vanity was yard-sale quality. Pool is unheated, and just out in the open parking lot, next to a nasty hot tub and the out-of-order washer & dryer! I guess you could stand on your car hood and jump over the metal gate into the pool if you wanted. Seedy characters everywhere, not just guests but employees. Don't stay here if you have kids too young to witness a crime or the pimps running their girls out of these rooms. If you are just a vagabond traveling with everything you own in your car (like the other guest couple we met), this is a good place to stay for $59 a night in California I guess. But tourists, beware...you may forget you are in San Diego and think it's rather like a third world country hotel. It was really close to downtown, Sea World, and the airport though. But so are a million other places that probably have working lightbulbs and hot water that doesn't scald you.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2009

i went to san diego with my friend it was sort of small trip. we stayed at howard johnson for 4 nights. it was nice to stay over there. they gave us good rate.the room was not enough spacious but it was quite clean and it was ok if you dont have too much baggage. in the room we had refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and also a safe. they got 7 HBO and showtime. free parking. in the morning they serve free breakfast and also free USA today. the location of the hotel was perfect with I-8 pass by and also it is quite near to san diego attraction. the hotel staff was nice and help us lot with directions.

in the back of hotel there was a pool and spa and also they got laundry.
each day we got room service and they they also give us toiletry on asking for them.
i would like to stay at same howard johnson again as it was nice experience.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2008

When I arrived at the hotel I found a barefoot clerk that looked like he was trying to get into the Guiness Book of World Records for Longest Fingernails – Most establishments have a dress code and require a certain level of personal hygeine, so I was a little put off by this.

I arrived at my hotel room only to find that I had to shoulder-chuck the door to open it and employ a group of large men to manhandle it closed again. Upon entering the room I found that the cause of this inconvenience was the horribly warped and uneven floor.

I was able to make my way safely across the floor to the balcony only to find that I had a view of the ghetto and a pool that looked like it was filled with stew rather than water and chlorine. Shortly after arriving at the balcony I realized that it was barely even attached to the building so I retreated to the “safety” of my room.

Making my way to the bathroom I found myself letting out a sigh of relief that I still had my shoes on as the tiles covering the floor were so uneven that walking on them was more like an extreme sport or walking on broken glass. I was expecting to find that the shower didn’t even HAVE a floor, but to my surprise it did. All in all the place was disgusting and I will never return. But I suppose it could have been worse… Maybe?

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank kayenchanted