“Overcharged, Dated, no ventilation, extremely small, and huge false advertisement about the Wi-fi!!”

Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Hotel Circle
Ranked #244 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I will never stay at this so called "hotel" ever again! First, I got overcharged for my stay. Unfortunately, this crappy hotel never sent me a confirmation email with details about my stay but I wrote down my total at the time I reserved the room back in February which was $1079. I end up being charged $1152!!! On top of that, there is NO ventilation. What a joke they call that. The entire jail cell of a room fogs up immediately, not to mention the 3 fire sprinklers all inconveniently 2ft from the bathroom. I was afraid my luggage would get ruined since the only space in this room is in the bathroom/sink area (which is separate by the way). The breakfast is a joke. We were told it was served 6-9am but the door still says 5am. Either way don't waste the time on this breakfast if you're trying to have a good start to your day. Also, my favorite pair of sunglasses came up missing after our first day of getting room service after staying for 3 nights, not all the trash was taken out, and I noticed 3 items of mine in the room that were moved for no reason. The bed was alright. Had a microwave, fridge, and ice bucket. The Tv was definitely from the 1990's. And last but worst the false advertisement of "free high speed Wi-fi" on the front of the building. On the 4th night of the wi-fi continuously not working since we arrived, the guy at the front desk tells my boyfriend someone was trying to download a movie. One movie download can't support 400 rooms!? I thought it was suppose to be high speed? And it hasn't work in 4 days!! It's so bad my regular service won't get through and I'm restricted of the internet. The best spot to get your phone to work would be the steps going onto Hotel Circle S Blvd. Bottom line, don't waste your money here!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed July 22, 2014

After traveling all morning we tried to check in about an hour early. They couldn't check us in I was like that's fine but then they tried to be sneaky about what price we were paying, and the staff behind the counter was getting rude and short with me. So came back a hour later to get our key and the room still wasn't ready....The room itself had a wet spot under the A/C. The breakfast was bare basics.

Room Tip: Just a place to sleep because nothing really keeps you there and want to hang around the actual hote...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Booked this through one of the discount websites, looking for a good deal close to the airport. With only a 10 hour layover, just needed a place to crash.

The hotel/motel is a $25 taxi ride to the airport, so any money saved in the room cost quickly disappeared. The room was dated, amenities barely comfortable and it was noisy. Nothing nearby to eat unless you walk to another hotel.

The taxi I arranged via the front desk on check in, never appeared in the morning. The front desk, and breakfast area was locked at the time of my early departure so was forced to speak with the attendant through the window which you could hardly hear. I had to push to get them to call a taxi for me.

Despite signs saying breakfast would be available at 5:30am, it was not.

Do not book this hotel. If considering cheap hotel accommodation near an airport, explicitly book a hotel that is close by with free transportation. This will in the end save you money, time and frustration.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed one night in this Rat-Hole!! Never again...Upon entering the room after driving from the Phoenix Area, There was no hot water in the rooms. The front desk said they were working on it and it would be ready later!! Laid on bed smelled like vomit! Bedspread was replaced.. In the morning the breakfast was skimpy and everything was stale!! Was not open at 500 am as advised! avoid this hotel at all costs!!

Yuma, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked this hotel for a one night post-cruise wind-down before heading home to Arizona. Great price through Booking.com. Hotel is older and it shows. Hole in the wall where the door handle apparently keeps hitting it. Bedding was just ok and towels were small and old. Water pressure was good and toilets flushed everything on the first try. Iron, ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker, fridge and TV were dated but serviceable. Bed on hubby's side was lumpy, my side was fine. We were on the top floor 2nd from last room pool side, so we didn't hear much of the freeway traffic but there is some so beware! Pool and jacuzzi are older and not in the best kept shape but we used them anyway. Only 3 loungers......and two side tables. They really need to update the rooms, but we slept soundly and felt refreshed in the morning. Continental breakfast was cereals, milk, juice, coffee and danish and the danish were surprisingly tasty.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Okay, first the good news. Our daughter was delivering her first baby over the July 4th weekend. We needed to be in San Diego NOW and needed a hotel room. Nothing, nowhere, no how was available. On a miraculous fluke, a room at Howard Johnson's became available and we snapped it up for $200 a night, sight unseen. Good thing. The baby was a bouncing beautiful boy; the hotel was a sad shadow of her former self. Mommy, daddy and baby were healthy and happy; we were afraid to sit on the dusty, stained couch. The new, little family woke up every hour for a hungry baby; we carefully peeled away the sketchy bedspread and found fresh, white sheets and fluffy pillows. We slept like contented babies. We awoke to warm showers and lovely soaps and shampoo, although we made sure to keep our flip flops on at all times. You wouldn't want your feet to touch the carpet, and you might slip on the pizza flyers slipped under the door. So, my feelings are mixed. Yeah, the place was scuzzy, but they took us in when no one else would. You get an extra star for that.

Ocean View, New Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2014

stayed at this hotel last night needed to catch an early plane at the nearby San Diego International Airport. I put in a wake up for 4:00 am since my flight was at 6:45.I never got my wake up call. Tried to take a shower but shower did not work at all. Had to fly to Washington and now waiting for flight to Philly without showering. breakfast is from 5 a.m. To 9 a.m.. I got down to the breakfast area at 5 a.m. And the lights were out and the door was locked. At 5:05 am he unlocked the door and THEN started to brew the coffee and set up the breakfast. So much for a leisurely breakfast. When I complained about no wake up call, no shower, rushed breakfast I got no response. I was given a card and told to call the manager Panesh after 9 am. When I got to Washington I called and was told that he is off on Sat and Sun and to call m- f 9-2 pm. I called Howard Johnsons to complain and was put on hold for 10 min and then hung up on. I guess Howard Johnsons and its parent company Windham have no regard for customer service. Not likely I will stay in one of their properties ever again.

Room Tip: Stay away from this property and don't expect Howard Johnson's or Windham to care about your...