WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #242 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Awful. Waste of money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Booked this through one of the discount websites, looking for a good deal close to the airport. With only a 10 hour layover, just needed a place to crash.

The hotel/motel is a $25 taxi ride to the airport, so any money saved in the room cost quickly disappeared. The room was dated, amenities barely comfortable and it was noisy. Nothing nearby to eat unless you walk to another hotel.

The taxi I arranged via the front desk on check in, never appeared in the morning. The front desk, and breakfast area was locked at the time of my early departure so was forced to speak with the attendant through the window which you could hardly hear. I had to push to get them to call a taxi for me.

Despite signs saying breakfast would be available at 5:30am, it was not.

Do not book this hotel. If considering cheap hotel accommodation near an airport, explicitly book a hotel that is close by with free transportation. This will in the end save you money, time and frustration.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed one night in this Rat-Hole!! Never again...Upon entering the room after driving from the Phoenix Area, There was no hot water in the rooms. The front desk said they were working on it and it would be ready later!! Laid on bed smelled like vomit! Bedspread was replaced.. In the morning the breakfast was skimpy and everything was stale!! Was not open at 500 am as advised! avoid this hotel at all costs!!

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Yuma, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked this hotel for a one night post-cruise wind-down before heading home to Arizona. Great price through Booking.com. Hotel is older and it shows. Hole in the wall where the door handle apparently keeps hitting it. Bedding was just ok and towels were small and old. Water pressure was good and toilets flushed everything on the first try. Iron, ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker, fridge and TV were dated but serviceable. Bed on hubby's side was lumpy, my side was fine. We were on the top floor 2nd from last room pool side, so we didn't hear much of the freeway traffic but there is some so beware! Pool and jacuzzi are older and not in the best kept shape but we used them anyway. Only 3 loungers......and two side tables. They really need to update the rooms, but we slept soundly and felt refreshed in the morning. Continental breakfast was cereals, milk, juice, coffee and danish and the danish were surprisingly tasty.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Okay, first the good news. Our daughter was delivering her first baby over the July 4th weekend. We needed to be in San Diego NOW and needed a hotel room. Nothing, nowhere, no how was available. On a miraculous fluke, a room at Howard Johnson's became available and we snapped it up for $200 a night, sight unseen. Good thing. The baby was a bouncing beautiful boy; the hotel was a sad shadow of her former self. Mommy, daddy and baby were healthy and happy; we were afraid to sit on the dusty, stained couch. The new, little family woke up every hour for a hungry baby; we carefully peeled away the sketchy bedspread and found fresh, white sheets and fluffy pillows. We slept like contented babies. We awoke to warm showers and lovely soaps and shampoo, although we made sure to keep our flip flops on at all times. You wouldn't want your feet to touch the carpet, and you might slip on the pizza flyers slipped under the door. So, my feelings are mixed. Yeah, the place was scuzzy, but they took us in when no one else would. You get an extra star for that.

Ocean View, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

stayed at this hotel last night needed to catch an early plane at the nearby San Diego International Airport. I put in a wake up for 4:00 am since my flight was at 6:45.I never got my wake up call. Tried to take a shower but shower did not work at all. Had to fly to Washington and now waiting for flight to Philly without showering. breakfast is from 5 a.m. To 9 a.m.. I got down to the breakfast area at 5 a.m. And the lights were out and the door was locked. At 5:05 am he unlocked the door and THEN started to brew the coffee and set up the breakfast. So much for a leisurely breakfast. When I complained about no wake up call, no shower, rushed breakfast I got no response. I was given a card and told to call the manager Panesh after 9 am. When I got to Washington I called and was told that he is off on Sat and Sun and to call m- f 9-2 pm. I called Howard Johnsons to complain and was put on hold for 10 min and then hung up on. I guess Howard Johnsons and its parent company Windham have no regard for customer service. Not likely I will stay in one of their properties ever again.

Room Tip: Stay away from this property and don't expect Howard Johnson's or Windham to care about your...
Twentynine Palms, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

The male at the front desk was very rude in acknowledging my presence and allowed another customer to get in front of me without an explanation. When he checked me into the hotel he acted as though I was bothering him and was very rude. The lobby was decent so I expected the hotel rooms to be acceptable. The room was clean but needed some upgrading. The handle to the shower was difficult to turn. The pop-up drain was not attached so I had to improvise when giving my son a bath. My floor was quiet. There were some half dressed, rowdy, and seemingly intoxicated male guests that felt the need to keep their door open. Coming down the stairs was a bit of a hassle because passing their room was uncomfortable. I called the lobby to inform them of the situation and no one answered. I called twice and was unable to get a response. I choose the hotel because of the price but I will never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Fresno, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Carpet could use an upgrade so are the amen entices. Paper dispenser in the restroom are falling off the wall the parking lot is dirty so is the carpet or it could use a deep cleaning room could also use some air freshener linens are a bit dirty needs a good bleaching the ironing board needs to be repaired or replace drain plug on the bathtub is missing and the breakfast selection is very limited so is the seating area the front desk counter is not ADA compliant way too high and the railings on the other floors needs to be repaired I had 2 rooms reserved 1 was on the ground floor and the other was on the 3rd floor it's scary on the top floor because of the railings are rusted and appears to be swaying check in and check out was fine though

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family