“generally good for the price, helpful employees”

Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Hotel Circle
Ranked #243 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Good experience, stayed up the road before at Days Inn, prefer Howard Johnson. The requirement that the review must be 100 characters is abit much.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank ROGER M

Reviewed August 26, 2012

OMG when we arrived to the hotel, the room smelled horrible. We had to literally buy scented candles to help with the smell.
The room is old and run down.the bathroom had no sink we had to brush our teeth in the kitchen sink (UGH).
My 1 year old crawled and his knees got dirty in less than 30 second. the breakfast sucked, we had better snacksin our refrigerator, than what the hotel had to offer better yet "motel"

I also noticed maybe what looked like prostitutes in the hotel breakfast area. to make matters worse i developed hives. i just wanted to get out of there. thank god we were not in the room much.
i will never ever ever stay there again!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is the cheapest hotel we could find in the downtown/hotel circle area of San Diego area with free breakfast. You get what you pay for. The hotel is more like a motel. The lobby area is very small. The breakfast room is so small, people had to squeeze in between tables and chairs to get through. The breakfast selection was poor. The breakfast was a truely uncomfortable experience, the next morning we went to a restaurant nearby to have breakfast. Our room was in ok condition, didn't find any bugs in the room. The bathroom was decent. The carpet looks dirty. The in-room free internet was extremely slow. With hotel rooms in this area range from $120 to $200, this place may not be a bad choice if you are on a budget, but I will NOT return.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor are not as noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eva L
A TripAdvisor Member
Surprise
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was a terrible hotel. The rooms are tiny and the hotel looks broken down. The hot tub was disgustingly green and very murky!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The lobby was quite dirty and had a kind of scary life size statue of Hulk Hogan - very odd! The staff was not knowledgeable and fairly rude. They obviously hate their jobs and would prefer to be anywhere else! The room literature and hotel website stated there was a computer for guest use in the lobby with internet access. That did not exist and the front desk staff seemed oblivious that all info stated there was a computer. They then told us that everything is 2 years old. This posed a big problem for us because we left our laptop at home assuming that the hotel provided access with one in the lobby. The staff seems to make it a point to clean up the continental breakfast area about 10 minutes early each day. I came in 10 to 9:00am and the lady had everything all packed and was not happy that I asked her for a muffin. The attitude was not warranted and I was not wanting anything complex!

Our room was filthy when we arrived - floors, walls, counters, bed skirt, etc. There were not enough towels for 2 people, almost no toilet paper, no soap dish so the counter became nasty. The bottom of my feet were literally black from walking on the tile and carpeting. The mirrored wall had black stuff on it, the toilet paper holder was half-way attached, TV had very few channels compared to what the literature stated and many channels were snowy and had static sound. It did not appear that house keeping ever cleaned during our 6 night stay. They replaced cups, and made the bed 5 out of the 6 nights of our stay. We never received cleaned sheets or towels, just folded and rehung.

This was an absolutely nasty stay on many levels and we will never stay at a Howard Johnson ever again! We will also make sure our family and friends are advised about this hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My family and I went on vacation and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We had a very pleasant experience while we stayed there. The rooms were a bit tired, but the extra friendly staff definitely made up for it. We got a fairly decent rate for a hotel in the summer time in San Diego, CA. My wife and children loved every bit of our stay, they didnt want to leave! When I initially booked this hotel, I was very scared due to the negative reviews, so worried that I actually called the hotel and spoke to the manager, Amy, myself. She was a very sweet young lady and assured me that we had nothing to worry about.

The cleaning staff was very friendly, and thorough with the cleaning each time they did our room. We have some specific needs when we travel due to our sick son, and the housekeeping were very attentative to that. We did not find any bugs, cockroaches, spiders, or anything else any of these other reviews state. The condition of the room furniture was a bit tired looking, but the bathroom was newly done.

All in all my family and I really enjoyed san diego, and this san diego hotel. All I can saw is, don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case, its negative reviews!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank David W
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I've stayed in hotel circle before but booked this hotel because it was the cheapest with a breakfast. The bathroom had been updated and the room was a typical cheap hotel room. Unfortunately after 1 hour of being in the room I turned on the bathroom light and a cockroach ran by the sink behind the mirror. Looking from the side there was another behind the mirror we could see too. We were on the bottom floor by a storage type closet and I didn't have the budget to switch hotels day of we decided to switch to a room on the top floor. Unfortunately we had to go with 1 queen bed when we booked and paid for a king bed. They didn't offer anything, discount, etc. but I felt I didn't have much of a choice. This room looked cleaner and I checked everywhere before we switched our stuff over.

We stayed here 4 nights and the last night as we were packing my husband checked under the bed skirt to make sure we weren't leaving anything and he found another womans underwear, a small bundle of rope, and some change. And the mattress is on a box it's not like the stuff was under the bed. So I'm not sure how long it had been since the bedskirt was changed (or you would see the stuff) and why the vacuum didn't pick up the stuff. Also, we couldn't get the free internet on the 4th floor at all so we had to sit in our car to use it.

I'm sure if we had been in a different room without these issues I would have thought it wasn't a bad place to stay but after 2 rooms having issues I'll stay at one of the other many hotels on the street even if it costs a little more.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple