“Hopefully the one in Little Italy is still good.”

Filippi's Pizza Grotto
Ranked #670 of 4,959 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Had the a pepperoni and sausage pizza. My daughter had the spaghetti. In short, it didn't taste like much, and the dough was pretty thick for pizza. They need to work on flavor of their sauce, it tasted like cafeteria sauce. The spaghetti wasn't any better. I've had better frozen pizza's.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife and I have dined here twice in the past week.
The first time we thought it was OK but not nearly as good as reviews suggested so we tried it a second time this evening, accompanied by our adult son.
This place often has queues snaking down the street of folk waiting to get a seat. It apparently has a long history of great food.
This evening we ordered, salad, minestrone, garlic bread, my son had spaghetti with sausage and my wife and I had 'shrimp Filippe'. The servings were generous/large!
Well: the salad was nice, the minestrone tasted awfully like it came out of a can - edible but just. The garlic bread was soggy, cold, not toasted, incipid with boring bread. our dish, the 'Filippe' was over-garliced but not bad. Our son, a 20 year old with little insight into quality food described his spaghetti as "doesn't taste very good" - my wife tried it and agreed the sausage "tasted strange".
Overall the meal was average. Not sure what all the fuss is about. This place seems to be relying on a lot of history but not much else!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Ordered take-out for a group of 10. We had lasagna, spaghetti with meatballs, chicken fettuccini Alfredo and pizza. Everyone in our group enjoyed the good and serving size was generous.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have been to the little Italy filippi's dozens of times. This was our first visit to the Mira Mesa location. Portions are half the size of little Italy. Garlic bread was soggy with butter and virtually no garlic. Lasagna tasted the same, just a smaller portion. Prices seemed to be the same.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Nice Italian place. They have a restaurant side, and there is seating in the bar area. It's pretty dark on both sides, so it's great for an intimate experience with your squeeze! There are several big-screen TVs in the bar area, so it can get very crowded and rowdy on game night. The drinks in the bar are excellent, but not the cheapest. I'm from Chicago, but I find their pizza to be pretty good for San Diego. They also have excellent lasagna, and a few higher-end entrees that are very tasty. They have the full range of traditional Italian food and salads. It's a nice, comfy place where couples and families can have a good time!