“Turned out to be a great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #163 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Turned out to be a great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was in San Diego for one night ahead of a business meeting the next morning. The hotel was just a couple of blocks from the meeting location. To be fair the hotel is not want I would consider downtown, however the location does work well for visiting the city. It was two short blocks to Little Italy and surprisingly just about 1.5 miles to the train station - based on Map My Run - San Diego is great running city. I had a room on the top floor which had great views of the city and Coronado Island. The rooms have been recently renovated and the balance of the hotel – lobby and restaurant should be finished by the end of July. The staff was great and very helpful. Until the restaurant opens the complimentary breakfast can be missed. They would be better off giving you a coupon to the coffee shop down the hill. This is really nice hidden gem. However I do find their rates to be high at times. But right now San Diego is a hopping city so you have to pay to play. Full disclosure. The hotel is directly next to the interstate...

Room Tip: Shoot for a high floor. I had a great view of the city and the airport. Neat to watch the planes fly...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
socialmediacoord, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown. We hope to see you again very soon and look forward to welcoming you to our new C3 Restaurant and Bar!

kurt.helm@fourpointssandiegodowntown.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I'll preface this review by saying that I was a group coordinator travelling to San Diego - we booked ~ 14 rooms at this hotel.

Check-in:
Our group arrived at the hotel around 10:30 p.m. on a Friday evening (arriving directly from the airport after a long day of travelling). We had pre-arranged for all of our keys to be made for the group. The first problem with the hotel is that there were still rooms not ready, even though it was 6+ hours after the posted check-in time.

The remaining rooms were available about 45 minutes after our arrival, and everyone gets settled and ready for the start of the trip.

The room I was assigned (and provided keys to) had not been cleaned - there were still dirty towels inside the bathroom and used toiletry items (soap, shampoo, lotion) on the counter. I made a call in to the front desk and they sent someone up and just removed the dirty towels.

Sleeping Rooms:
-The rooms were adequate and well-appointed. No complaints in terms of the comfort of the bed, the bathroom, etc.

Elevators:
-With a large group, the elevator situation (two elevators total) was a bit of a headache. We could tell there were a lot of other guests that were perturbed with our group trying to get our luggage up to the rooms at check-in.

Overall, this hotel has a lot of potential. Even if they were busy/sold out, they should have had the proper staffing to handle it. The staff I did encounter were very friendly and tried to remedy the situations, but unfortunately were just overwhelmed with the amount of things that were going wrong.

If you are considering this hotel as a family/individual, I would go ahead and recommend it if you're on a budget but don't like to sacrifice too much.

If you're a group needing 6+ rooms, I would go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience. Please contact me if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The hotel's unique shape caught me eye years ago, and it was a treat to stay here. Every member of the staff was impressive in their friendliness and eagerness to help me have the best stay possible.

The breakfast wasn't amazing, but the view from the top floor while eating it was fantastic!

The renovations still aren't finished. It didn't really affect my stay but it will be great to see the finished product when it's really ready.

I rented a bike during my stay. Their bike rack was typical of other hotels in the area, meaning that it can only awkwardly accommodate a few bikes. San Diego is a very bike-friendly area (and made me feel safer alone at night), so it'd be great to see a better one installed there.

The lighting was...subdued. Not bad, but it would've been nice to have brighter lights by the bathroom mirror.

I didn't spend much time around the hotel but it looked like there were some great restaurants not far from there.

But on the whole, a great visit and I look forward to future stays.

Room Tip: Probably best if you're not facing the freeway on a lower floor. The advantage of lower floors...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel is right by the freeway and not strictly in Downtown.
The refurbishment was supposed to be finished by June but was still going on in July - there was no restaurant or bar just a horrible free breakfast.
We had asked for a quiet room and instead were given one on 2nd floor beside freeway ramp and also beside workmen drilling and hammering -definitely not quiet and very annoying.
The air conditioning in the bedroom was really noisy which didn't help.
The staff w ere generally nice but overall I would not recommend this hotel - depressing decor and terrible location

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

The room was bit tight as our little family of four shared a two bed room, but it was well appointed and complimentary continental breakfast helped. The location was absolutely terrific and we had a wonderful time in Little Italy.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and had a wonderful time in Little Italy. We hope to see you and your family again very soon.

Berkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I really don't want to moan too much so will kick off with the best points.

Receptionists are really friendly.
Rooms are clean and comfortable and a decent size, free WI-FI a bonus.
Good position to get on the freeway to go visit local attractions.

Parking was extortionate - $26 a day and it had to be a valet parking system. Not really knowing the area so we were not sure if there would be somewhere close by and cheaper to park. So we did park and the hotel and the valet guys were great.
Hotel location is definitely not the best - it was quite a walk to the gaslamp district and to the harbour.
Hotel is tired looking.
Breakfast was a weird set-up - I have seen another reviewer stating the hotel is having a refurb which the hotel is in need of. The sooner they having a dining area for breakfast the better!

Overall I would not stay here again due to the location but hopefully the hotel improves with a refurb.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
Sugar Land, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Definitely not the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, and a little disappointed relative to other Four Points properties. It's convenient if you're planning to walk around downtown - my son and I took the Amtrak down from LA. It was about a 10-12 minute walk from Sante Fe Depot to the hotel, so both the Amtrak and the "trolley" (light rail) are easily accessible, and it's super easy to get to Old Town on the trolley. But if you're looking to explore Balboa Park, you need a car. If you are driving, the location is probably ideal because it's right off the 5 - but so is the pool. There's a tiny outdoor pool in the parking lot right next to the freeway. The restaurant was under renovation when we were there, so the lobby was all torn up. The hotel was clean enough and I had a good night's sleep, but definitely not blown away. I'd choose a hotel closer to the water next time I go to San Diego.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars
socialmediacoord, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon with our newly completed lobby and C3 Restaurant & Bar!