“Wrong choice for us” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #95 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Adelaide, South Australia
“Wrong choice for us”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2006

We chose this hotel despite mixed reviews and primarily because our preferred hotels were unavailable. Whilst the location is good for accessing Sea World and the Zoo (with a free shuttle provided), there is nothing much else around with the nearest decent restaurants in Old Town. In hindsight, we should have paid a few dollars more and stayed downtown. Despite being referred to as a resort, this property is essentially a motel and has that sought of feel about it. Whilsts rooms were clean and comfortable, the walls are thin and there is a fair bit of noise from other guests.

• Liked — Free shuttle to Zoo and Seaworld
  • Disliked — Nosiy rooms and hotle location
  • Tips/Secrets — if you don't have a car, stay downtown
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelWombat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2006

great hotel, great location, wonderful service! Overall, very good value for money! my favourite place i stayed at on my trip to the u.s!

• Liked — the friendly and helpful staff
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2006

I had to write something to tell everyone what a great place this is!! I took my daughter to San Diego on vacation and booked this Hotel online, I had not known anything about it before. I really can't say enough about how WONDERFUL everyone was there! The staff was excellent the Hotel was always clean the room smelled so fresh everyday. I never saw one bug and any dirt . ( I am known by my family and friends as a VERY fussy person when it comes to being clean) and the truth is I really hate staying in Hotels but, staying at the Handelry changed my opinion. If I am ever fortunate enough again to go back to San Diego I will stay at the Handelry. Please feel free to email me and ask me any questions about our stay there! @justgk7@yahoo.com
PS~ Thanks to all of the housekeeping staff who replenished my extreme daily towel usage!! And thanks to all of the front desk clecks who always made printed and or hand written directions to everywhere we wanted to go (and could'nt figure out how to get there!)
G.R.

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Handelry Hotel and Resort!!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank justgk
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2006

The Handlery Hotel in San Diego gives you a feeling of being in a resort----it's adjacent to a golf course and the pool area is very nicely done. The rooms were very clean and quiet. It took us a couple of calls to get a rollaway bed but it arrived by the time we needed it. They charge $10 for parking for some reason. Parking doesn't seem to be a problem in the area. They advertise the trolley as being steps away when in fact it's about a 15 minute walk. Drive to the station and park in the mall. It's about a 15 minute trolley ride to downtown SD and 10 minutes to Old Town where all the good Mexican restaurants are located. You're supposed to pay for a ticket on the trolley but no one ever asked for ours nor did they seem to care if we had one.

3 Thank Fender57
hampshire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2006

We stayed at the Handlery for a week in July. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Good breakfasts in the Postcards restaurant, and evening meals not too bad either. The rooms were clean, but a tiny bathroom, couldn't swing a cat! The hotel is located on a main freeway, so we hired a car for the week to be able to get around. The bus outside the hotel doesn't go straight to the beaches, the trolley service 5 minutes walk down the road also doesn't drop off at any beaches so if it is a beach holiday you want I would recommend choosing a hotel next to the beaches. In all a good week.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank neontetra
Aarhus, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2006

Some of the reviews may be true about The Handlery Hotel but during the 9 nights my wife and I + our best friends stayed there, we only experienced nice, clean and quiet rooms, a very helpful reception, great pool with plenty of towels and great food at the Postcards Restaurant. Yes, parking is a bit expensive (the price is now USD 10 per day), but you can easily pay that extra money for a room at another hotel that has free parking, so it's a matter of how you see it. Overall we and our friends were very satisfied, so I gladly give them 4 out of 5 points.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tranbjerg
East Hartford, CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

My family and I were visiting San Diego for two days and needed a hotel that was close enough to both the Zoo and Sea World and this hotel was it. Besides the pool that was the best feature of the hotel. The hotel is showing its age and reminded me of my dorm room in college. Check in was slow and was not very friendly. Had a musty smell to the room as we entered. Construction was going on so we had to walk around the buidling with our luggage which was a real pain. One of the nights were were woken up by someone banging on the door next door screaming "Let me in" and calling the phone about a million times. There was a small refridgerator that didn't work. Parking was 10/day which I truly did not understand. I think if we were to stay in San Diego again we would look else where.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room Size-Double beds
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family